Dana: Its an awesome story how we cut Moreno and then he comes back and becomes champ

Didn't he cut him around the time he was thinking hard about just getting rid of the entire division?

Nobody cares about the flyweights so its hard to see talent. Notice DJ isnt here??
Nobody cares about the flyweights is what people repeat but isn't true. Dana, being the greedy businessman he is traded away arguably the best fighter in the promotion for Ben Askren. Why did he do it? Because he didn't want to pay Mighty Mouse what he was worth since he wasn't a big draw. Are guys like Mighty Mouse, Moreno, Figgy Cejudo (at that time), Joe B. etc.. very good/great martial artists? Yes, but the WME shareholders insist on maximum profits and Dana has to keep that snow in his driveway in Vegas.

It really is insane how they let him go. 100% a better fighter then CCC and was stilled GOATed when he left . Its like the equivalent of cutting Aldo lol.
At the same time though FLW.... Eh if the UFC cut that whole division I really wouldn't care that much , I only really like Fog and he could be at BW lol.

Sadly its prize fighting , MM was ppv poison
Amazing fighter indeed, flyweights as a division were ignored for a big time
I mean moreno and kara france had a banger of a fight 2 years ago and it was on fucking early prelims

I don't mind that. He cut the guy when he was average/not very good then the dude came back when he improved. Dana's statement is only retarded if we are thinking Moreno didn't improve at all which obviously isn't true

I don't mind that. He cut the guy when he was average/not very good then the dude came back when he improved. Dana's statement is only retarded if we are thinking Moreno didn't improve at all which obviously isn't true
Horseshit.

If you cut a guy, then take him back after he gets one win outside your promotion, that is not the story of a triumphant comeback, that's realizing you made a bad cut.

This isn't like Werdum getting cut, then doing a 3 fight streak in Strikeforce including Fedor, before losing to Overeem and getting reabsorbed into UFC, or Hill getting cut to become Invicta champ on a 4 fight win streak before accepting to be a short notice replacement to get back into the org.

They cut him. He won a fight against... someone? They re-signed him. This is the UFC admitting a mistake at best, and at worst, making themselves the villain to be overcome

*edit*
Wasn't it awesome how I wasn't letting Jamaica compete in bobsled, then they went out there and proved themselves?
7oG6PEM.gif

Last edited:
There is mistakes then changing your mind every 6 months on whether or not you're keeping the FLW division. It's not like it was a one time mistake or that the UFC has learned its lesson.

I'll point out that for all the talk of FLWs being too small for casuals, boxing fans love guys that size. It's a UFC marketing failure, not a built in flaw with the FLW division.

The UFC sabotaged the division then wonders why it won't sell. It's rich comedy tbh.
I agree.

Francis offended Gane daaaaamn. "I'm not your former teammate??"

11:40

what a fucking moron <Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo> he doesnt see how retarded this looks. Imagine cutting a 3-2 Moreno who won 3 straight before losing to Sergio (who he 10-8d in the 1st) and Pantoja. Maybe dont let top talent go like SO MANY of the talent WME era has fucked up. Flyweight is getting joocy but alot of the best flyweights in the world are still outside UFC b/c of their tomfoolery

It all ended well so I'm not mad at the story.

it's kinda like divorcing your wife because she's crazy then getting remarried to her because she got a boob job.

Such enthusiasm. You could tell he's not all that interested at the press conference. Stone faced

I believed in Moreno since the start, backed him hard to beat Pettis, had him as the last leg in a huge 1 card parlay, then he botched it. I jumped off the train, and of course he ends up becoming champ later lol.

11:40

what a fucking moron <Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo> he doesnt see how retarded this looks. Imagine cutting a 3-2 Moreno who won 3 straight before losing to Sergio (who he 10-8d in the 1st) and Pantoja. Maybe dont let top talent go like SO MANY of the talent WME era has fucked up. Flyweight is getting joocy but alot of the best flyweights in the world are still outside UFC b/c of their tomfoolery

Didn't they let a bunch of flyweight's go because they didn't think they would be a good fit at 135lbs? This is back when the UFC was going to get rid of the Flyweight division. I don't know if it was so much about being cut due to lack of talent, but more so what Moreno's willingness to compete at 135lbs would be like. But I'm speculating, of course.

Well as much as I like Moreno, he also tested positive for a banned substance after losing to Pettis.
He didn't receive a punishment for it after the investigation by USADA.
"USADA concluded that the presence of clenbuterol in the athlete’s sample very likely resulted from clenbuterol contaminated meat consumed in Mexico"
SOURCE: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11...ling-usada-drug-test-due-to-contaminated-meat

If you look at the facts:
-3-2 at FLW(Not a bad reccord, however remember they want people who can challenge the top dogs of the division in the Cejudo, Benevidez and DJ at the time. They probably didn't think Moreno brought anything to the table)
-2 defeats in a row
-Tested positive for a banned substance, even if he was cleared the UFC probably didn't see this in a positive manner
-The UFC were getting rid of FLW and I doubt Moreno would move up to BW

It's not the worst cut ever, but I can understand why some people would be mad over it.

I'm just glad he's back now and became champ. Great comeback story!

Dana pretending like he didn’t

darth-sidious-order66.gif
LOL, Star Wars.
Didn't they get bought out by Disney? Now they ruined the whole franchise.
Disney is to Star Wars what......
Bill Cosby is to aspiring young actresses
Dana is to MMA/UFC fighters

it is a good story, Moreno vs Figgy 1 saved that division
I still don't understand why people don't like FLW. The Ngannou/Gane fight is a very good one but some of the fights at HW are terrible. The guys gas after one round (see Greg Hardy and Puffergate for example). I rather watch a guy like Pantoja over Hardy 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

This sounds like more of a comeback than it is as him being cut wasn't really an indictment on his talent. Moreno was cut at a time where they basically just torched 125 and decided they were starting over. While I never thought it made sense to kill the division when you need title fights to fill events it sure looked like they were killing it.

There was very little Moreno could have done to stay on the roster at that time and he was resigned after one fight once it was clear the UFC was keeping 125.

Back