Dana has gone too far in welterweight division

Jawbox01

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From a business perspective, what Dana recently posted on Twitter makes sense.
It may not be a formal announcement yet, but we can do the math that it WILL be soon. Dana said that the winner of Lawler vs Brown will get the title shot.

There is one problem. Tyron Woodley and Rory have not even fought yet. Stun Gun and Lombard collectively are more impressive than Lawler and Brown. After these fights take place, THEN an announcement is due on who gets the title fight.

Stun Gun and Lombard collectively are more impressive than Lawler and Brown.

images

I believe this may be the first time in the history of the UFC that two fighters with double digit losses will fight each other to see who gets a title shot

Robbie Lawler with 10 losses vs Matt Brown with 11 losses for a title shot at WW? Come on. Robbie just fought for the title and Matt Brown can't sell a PPV (his last fight was attended by only 6,000 people for a measly gate just over $400,000)

On another note, never believe a word DW says. He has made these claims many times only to go back on them.

lawler shouldve gotten that TS hands down. Kinda same spot Gus is in.

Matt is on a 7 fight win-streak and most of them are wars.

Lawler made a career comeback demolishing everyone until loosing a super close decision to Hendricks ( some people thought he won )

I recon that The Dong last 2 fights were amazing but him and Lombard together dont make half the fighters that Robbie or Matt are.

Stun Gun has a victory over Brown and is ranked higher. Lombard is as impressive as Lawler is. Ellenberger broke his hand giving Lawler the win in the last fight.

Ellenberger is very high on my list of favorite fighters, but that broken hand did not change the outcome of the fight. If anything else, Lawler would have won the decision.

Plus Brown has made improvements in leaps and bounds since the Stun Gun fight, as has Kim himself, so that statement is irrelevant.

Regarding Lombard, he's a beast, no doubt, but Lawler's performance in the Ellenberger fight is unlike anything I've ever seen from him. I think Lawler would do the same to Lombard, wicked sprawls, and heavy handed scraps leading to a Lawler decision.

Stun Gun has a victory over Brown and is ranked higher. Lombard is as impressive as Lawler is. Ellenberger broke his hand giving Lawler the win in the last fight.

Lombard only has 2 fights in the division. Lawler has looked sick lately including a narrow loss in the title fight. How do you even figure?

I would rather watch brown or lawler fight for the strap more so than any other fight you mentioned. I'm sure 90% of fans agree. Based on credentials Lombard is due for a shot soon but he isn't huge draw like the ufc hoped he would.

Matt is on a 7 fight win-streak and most of them are wars.

Lawler made a career comeback demolishing everyone until loosing a super close decision to Hendricks ( some people thought he won )

I recon that The Dong last 2 fights were amazing but him and Lombard together dont make half the fighters that Robbie or Matt are.

There are always some people that believe the loser won.

The Dong is doubtless superior to Matt and would beat him in a rematch.
Anyone else care to assert this person's opinion that somehow Robbie is twice as good as Lombard?

From a business perspective, what Dana recently posted on Twitter makes sense.
It may not be a formal announcement yet, but we can do the math that it WILL be soon. Dana said that the winner of Lawler vs Brown will get the title shot.

There is one problem. Tyron Woodley and Rory have not even fought yet. Stun Gun and Lombard collectively are more impressive than Lawler and Brown. After these fights take place, THEN an announcement is due on who gets the title fight.

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree that Lawler doesn't deserve another shot. Other than him needing to use his social media outlets much better, Lawler is a savage and incredibly fun to watch, with a tv following. He beat Kos, Voelker (only gimmie but a tough as nails punching bag), Rory, lost a razor thin decision to Hendricks, than went out and dominated Jake like no1 has ever done before (even when Martin caught him, he wasn't dominating the whole fight).

All of those fighters look great, but none have the hype of these two right now. I agree that Matt Brown has still yet to face true top 5'ers, but here's his chance, and should he beat Lawler, there's no WAY you could deny the guy a title shot. I love the match-up and just hope Lawlers not getting warn down by all the consecutive training camps. It'll allow Hendricks to recover and prime him for a November/December show down with whoever wins.

Look man, it's just a situation where you've got a few different guys who are all arguably deserving of a title shot. You can hardly blame him for going with the winner of two exciting fan-favorites with long UFC resumes.

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree that Lawler doesn't deserve another shot. Other than him needing to use his social media outlets much better, Lawler is a savage and incredibly fun to watch, with a tv following. He beat Kos, Voelker (only gimmie but a tough as nails punching bag), Rory, lost a razor thin decision to Hendricks, than went out and dominated Jake like no1 has ever done before (even when Martin caught him, he wasn't dominating the whole fight).

All of those fighters look great, but none have the hype of these two right now. I agree that Matt Brown has still yet to face true top 5'ers, but here's his chance, and should he beat Lawler, there's no WAY you could deny the guy a title shot. I love the match-up and just hope Lawlers not getting warn down by all the consecutive training camps. It'll allow Hendricks to recover and prime him for a November/December show down with whoever wins.

When did that happen?

There are always some people that believe the loser won.

I usually dont get hyped up with robberies or close decisions, but that decision was pretty close and you could make an argument that Robbie won, thats what i was trying to say.

The UFC 174 promo is saying Rory/T-Wood winner gets a title shot.

I think both are true. Johnny said he could return any time from September to November at the latest. If hes able to return in September then you have your Toronto PPV headliner with Hendricks vs Rory/T-Wood winner and Brown/Lawler can fight the winner of that fight. If Robbie wins he is due for some time off anyways.

He's gone too far, TOO FAR I TELL YOU!!!! MADNESS SHALL ENSUE IN THE WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION!!!! Thank the maker for TS bringing this udder insanity to our attention so we can do something to stop it! Sherdoggers, ASSEMBLE!!!!

Back