Dana - "GSP needs to fight someone in the LW top 5"

GSP is arguably one of the best fighters of all time. From a business stand point, owners are salivating at the mouth for GSP to fight again. I think GSP promised a few things about his comeback that he backed out on that we don't fully know about. I wouldn't want to give GSP a title shot either knowing that he is only in it to win a 3rd divisional title. But, who wouldn't be down to buy Khabib vs GSP on PPV and watch GSP go into permanent retirement?

I don't think DW wants Conor vs GSP. It's very unlikely Conor wins and it likely hurts his ability to draw big numbers later and GSP is mostly retired. I think GSP vs Lee/Iaquinta winner makes the most sense. Barboza is on a 2 fight losing streak so I don't think they would set up that fight.

Does GSP wanna fight at LW though?
He wants the lightweight belt, but doesn’t want to fight at LW.

I “think” what he wants is to snatch up the LW belt, let woodley get one to two more wins in that time frame and up his stock. Take last fight at ww and ride off into the sunset chasing sista’s for eternity after getting MW and LW belts and recapturing his WW belt one last time.

Saying “I’m P4P goat bitches, I went from ww to mw to LW and back to gd ww. “

No one else could do that. I’m goat.

This is what I think is in his head anyway.

He said a while back that if he cuts to 55 he’s doing it one time.

Now, there is speculation he’s been making some test cuts. Thinking that MAYBE what he’s doing is getting to 60, and not 55 and knows how hard that last 5 is gonna be, and only wants to drain himself down that far one time.

And come in the biggest anyone’s ever been in the cage at 55 ever and just fucking obliterate Khabib and end this 27-0 mystique, that would maybe be 28-0 by then.

Then never gives him a rematch so he can be only fighter to have avenged all loses in history

So this couldn't go in the other thread already posted about this? You needed your own thread so everyone could see your opinion?
My take is different based on what Dana said and the current top 5 LW landscape. Different takes and opinions make for different threads.

However next time I will run my potential threads through you so you can give them the OK.

Thanks wannabe mod.

Make sure to go through every thread that is similar and post your opinion on why the TS shouldn't have made it.

My take is different based on what Dana said and the current top 5 LW landscape. Different takes and opinions make for different threads.

However next time I will run my potential threads through you so you can give them the OK.

Thanks wannabe mod.
So I was right. The original thread had a variety of opinions, but you were worried yours wouldn't get enough attention so you made your own.

I'm paraphrasing with that quote but that is essentially what Dana said about GSP in terms of him getting a title fight at LW.

If you take the UFC LW rankings you get:

1. Ferguson
2. McGregor
3. Poirier
4. Lee
5. Barboza

Tony is looking for a title fight (which he has earned) with Khabib or perhaps a fight with Conor which pretty much eliminates him from fighting GSP. Poirier is hurt and a date for his return is not set which means he is out right now. Lee already has a fight set with Al and depending on the outcome may fall from top 5. That leaves Conor and Barboza to fight GSP.

Conor recently said he will take the next in line if he can't get a rematch (does not deserve). Dana as a promoter should put two and two together and realize GSP vs Conor makes sense based on what he has said and the current situation.

That might not be a fight many on here want to see but it will sell like crazy.

Either Dana does not want Conor fighting GSP becuase the risk is too great (Conor losing another fight) or he simply does not want to give GSP that payday.

Khabib vs Tony
GSP vs Conor

Winners meet.

Feed em all to him, in the same night.

I agree. Conor vs GSP makes sense.

Conor is ranked top 5, It's a money fight and the winner gets to fight Khabib. That's 2 money fights.

Only thing is Ferguson would have to fight Khabib first. Wouldn't make sense to bump Ferguson.

And Conor doesn't seem interested at all with a fight against GSP.
Rankings mean nothing.

... more money? And an easy stylistic matchup to earn a shot at the LW title?

There are no easy fights. Anything can happen.

GSP can't put his legacy on the line for nothing. He might love to fight, but he isn't stupid, he must get something out of the fight. See it from his perspective.

Dana wants GSP to fight since that is big money for the UFC. The UFC will always benefit if GSP fights but GSP needs to benefit too.

If GSP wins he isn't guarantee'd anything since Dana's words mean nothing. It could be his last fight if he is injured in it (ACL), and it could be a loss. Huge risk. But what does he potentially gain?

If there is huge risk, he needs huge reward as well. Reward for his legacy as well as his wallet. Title fight is the only option.

Last edited:
So I was right. The original thread had a variety of opinions, but you were worried yours wouldn't get enough attention so you made your own.
You seem awfully worried about my thread.

Seems you're the only one worried here.

Don't worry, this thread dosen't bite and won't ruin your day.

If you have another non witty response please post it and continue to bump this thread.

Thanks.

What does GSP (legacy) get out of fighting a guy without a title?

Nothing.

He already has money.
Exactly.
The GOAT, GSP, will fight for the belt or Dana can fuck off.

Some people don't seem to understand. The people fighting at 155 and 170 are just fighting for an interim fake belt. Fighting GSP is the only thing that will make the belt legitimate.

Tyquil holds a fake belt.

Kalabib holds a fake belt.

Start begging GSP, guys.

there are only 2 155 lb fighters that GSP will consider fighting.

Conor

Khabib

GSP has been clear on the topic and I see no reason to doubt him.

Dana is just being Dana. I supposed he could put together Conor v. GSP, make more money and save face that he is protecting the sanctity of the UFC belt (cough cough)

GGRK6Sa.jpg

Fuck rankings - do Nate vs GSP, it will be fun and sell.

If GSP can make weight and win, give him the winner of Khabib and Tony

I'm not sure Nate will take the fight out of respect to Nick.......something about how the GSP fight is "Nick's fight". But if they offer enough money he should just take it! Give Nick $500k and replace his old Honda car and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Beats opening another Conor thread though.

Tony is the only lightweight who would have anything for GSP.

What does GSP (legacy) get out of fighting a guy without a title?

Nothing.

He already has money.

Only reason he came back was money fights.

His legacy was set.

The rumour was his sponsorship income was starting to dry up because companies weren't wanting to sponsor a fighter who didn't fight so he started hinting at 'trial camps' and stringing his return out as long as possible to get himself back in the game and the headlines prior to the Bisping fight.

Of course as one of the GOATs if anyone deserves money fights its GSP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back