Dana forcing team mate vs team mate

I don't fault certain guys for fighting one another. When you become real friends with someone, hang out with their kids, go for dinners I'm sure it's hard for all but the most hardcore psycho to go all in and try to knock that same man out.

You're right. But it's not even so much about knocking the other guy out. Once in the cage the opponent is the opponent no matter who it is. But on the friend tip, it's what you're taking away from you're friend and his family. You're messing with his career and his ability to support his family. That's tough to do and remain friends.

For people saying GSP and Condit, they are/were barely teammates. He's been at Tri-star for forever now

your right and wrong. the night of the fight its a one man show but your entire camp relies on your team to prepare you for the fight. so its 6 weeks of camp leading up to 1 night of fighting... seems pretty team oriented to me.

All fighters knew ahead of time that they may have to fight anyone at anytime and there are NOT any exceptions. They don't ask them to fight the night of the fight do they? No. They ask them to fight months beforehand so they don't have to train with the same people. Even on short notice they can divide a group up or find a new group of people to train with. It's just part of the fight game. Sure, they may be under the same umbrella of a fight organization or group but they do not have to fight the same "team" at all. Fighters are asked to fight each other because it is how the sport is structured, so their team is their choice and their choice alone. The conflicts of interests are their own problems, not the UFC's. Fighter's enter that ring as individuals only, their teams sit outside. Therefore, this is not a team sport. If it was a fighter would not be allowed to leave their team unless their organization permitted or arranged it. Being part of a team is a choice, not a requirement, so anyone complaining about "teammates fighting teammates" isn't being logical at all.

I'm sick of all these guys ducking each other because they are "friends". There are no friends in fighting, it's not a team sport.

You are so fucking stupid, of course you havent train with the same guys for years, you end up as a friend with long time partners

GSP and Condit

Edit: idk if Dana had to force them, but I can't think of another example of team mate fighting

People need to stop mixing up Jackson and Tristar. Sure they trained with each other on several occasions but Condit trained mainly in New Mexico with Winkeljohn and Greg while GSP trained in Tristar with Firas. People think GSP is heavily associated with Greg but that is not true. They meet at the end of training camp before the fight to discuss a few strategy and Greg corners him but Firas is GSP's main guy.

Munoz has trained with Black House in the past and now he's going to fight Machida.

Yeah but Munoz isn't Brazilian, therefore he is not a brother like Machida and Silva are. And Munoz is mainly a Reign guy. Machida always have the option of fighting at LHW to avoid Silva and Jacare already said he won't fight if Silva is the champ. He can probably do LHW as well. Teammates not fighting teammates destroys the non champ's legacy though.

Faber beat the shit out of one of his buddies.

iirc Condit said he never trained with GSP in his life.

Munoz has trained with Black House in the past and now he's going to fight Machida.

Machida trains at his gym in Belem.

Blackhouse manages a lot of fighters from a lot of gyms, they have a training facility but that's it.

Chael Sonnen wrote a good piece about teammate vs teammate in his book. Basically he compares the UFC to a office full of people who are friends at best and at worst acquaintances, and everyone wants to get ahead so you're competing with everyone, it's nothing personal, just everyone trying to advance themselves.

Dana can't "force" anyone to fight at all. To answer the question which I think you are asking, I don't recall teammates being pressured with a fight or your fired type of situation.

Sure I guess GSP vs Condit is one and the only one I can recall,
Condit was hungry for the belt and GSP is all about fame/legacy and money

There was nothing forced about it. Condit made it clear that they were "teammates" in the sense that they trained in the same gym and benefited from the same trainers, but that's about it. He also noted that they kept to different parts of the gym and he was always willing to fight a "teammate" for a title.

Some of the talk about "teammates" becomes excessive. They do not have the justification that Wladimir and Vitali have, for example.

Well, he did it again today during the Silva vs Weidman conference, talking about Silva vs Jacare and Machida...
Anderson shoved in his face that he would never fight them.

Guillard fought Cerrone. they weren't teammates at the time, but they did train together at Jackson's for a long time and they do consider each other friends.

Back