Dana forcing team mate vs team mate

ALAN PARTRIDGE

NO LONGER REGISTERED
@Steel
Reaction score
So Dana has always said if push comes to shove then Anderson Silva will face Machida,
or Anderson Silva will face Jacare etc

he always said Kos would fight Fitch if fight made sense etc etc
and many other times he said he would make team mate vs team mate

but has Dana actually ever forced/convinced team mates to fight each other??
Because he is always confident that if team mate A had earned a title shot then he would force/convince him to fight team mate B for the title.

But I don't think its happened yet right???

dana-white_ufc.jpg

Pretty sure he meant if push came to shove then they would fight each other if the money was right, or there was a title/title shot on the line.

Dana also says he would never force anyone to fight someone who they don't want to. He will berate them for not fighting said fighter, however. At least he isn't forcing them I guess?

GSP and Condit

Edit: idk if Dana had to force them, but I can't think of another example of team mate fighting

Dana can't legally force someone to fight another person. It's up to the fighters to sign the contract or not, but that doesn't mean Dana can't turn the rest of your career to shit if you say no to him. Except for state sanctioned rules and regulations, Dana runs the entire show.

Danan does a lot of things objectionable, but come on now, this is NOT one of them. This is a legit fight business and these are not pro wrestling factions. It has to be business before pleasure if the UFC wants to achieve its goal of ultimately overtaking pro boxing as the number one fight league.

Sure I guess GSP vs Condit is one and the only one I can recall,
Condit was hungry for the belt and GSP is all about fame/legacy and money

Big Foot and Hunt coming up, they are training partners at ATT if I'm not mistaken.

Jon Jones didn't hesitate in wanting to fight Rashad

I'm sick of all these guys ducking each other because they are "friends". There are no friends in fighting, it's not a team sport.

I've always imagined a scenario where let's say tomorrow (God forbid) Cain gets a major injury and an interim title has to be made. I think Dana would offer DC big money to step in against JDS.

Jon Jones didn't hesitate in wanting to fight Rashad

True but were there problems before JBJ got the title shot or was it just a spur of the moment kind of thing? Then again being so young.... Can't say I would've done anything different given his skill set and youth.

I'm sick of all these guys ducking each other because they are "friends". There are no friends in fighting, it's not a team sport.

your right and wrong. the night of the fight its a one man show but your entire camp relies on your team to prepare you for the fight. so its 6 weeks of camp leading up to 1 night of fighting... seems pretty team oriented to me.

I think teammates should fight each other if it's for the title. Otherwise if they don't want to fight each other they shouldn't have to. Teams and friendships shouldn't alter the championship picture but friends shouldn't fight each other if it doesn't hurt the sport. Dana's smart to an extent by trying to prevent the growing amount of friendships among top fighters form ruining the sport but he needs to give a little to.

Teammates are different from friends. Some of these camps are becoming extremely large and may have a monopoly on contenders in a division. That should not prevent good fights from being made

This is not a team sport. Loyalty and honor are to be applauded, but they may get in the way of careers.

As much as Dana is confident that Silva would fight Machida or Jacare if it was for the title and huge money etc etc, I cannot imagine for one moment Silva would say Yes.

I don't fault certain guys for fighting one another. When you become real friends with someone, hang out with their kids, go for dinners I'm sure it's hard for all but the most hardcore psycho to go all in and try to knock that same man out.

Munoz has trained with Black House in the past and now he's going to fight Machida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back