Dana doesn't know the rules(Tuf Controversy)

But there was a point deduction they cant just ignore it when they want. the point deduction was there and that seals the deal on zapata not winning. The other guy should have gotten the nod.he was the only one who won 2 rounds at at least one judges scorecards.

they didn't ignore the point deduction. a 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 for Zapata became a 9-9, 9-9, 8-10 majority draw that necessitated a sudden death overall decision.

my point was that the judge that scored that round for the wrestler could have scored the other two rounds for Zapata. So obviously overall he would favor Zapata.

Last edited:
First off, I am a Dana nut-hugger(love his open opinion even though I don't always agree)but the Mazagatti point deduction was justified, warned then a point. You don't need to tell the fighter next warning then a point, warning then point. That is explained before every fight. These are pro fighters, even if it wasn't told before the fight they should know that. Although Mazagatti should have had the doctor clear Ian Stephens before resuming the fight.

As far as the judging, Dana thinks DAMAGE is a category which it is NOT. This fight never should have seen a 3rd round, the rules state striking and effective grappling carry equal weight. Then control(where the fight takes place) and aggressiveness.

As for the scoring in the 3rd round...... Someone should lose their job, wait he did.

I agree. The other thing is that all of those elbows appeared to be to the back of the head. Even if they weren't 12-6, which I don't think most of them were, tons of them were to the back of the head.

Easy answer: Dana White hates grappling. He literally said "I hate when a guy just wrestles".

He wants a bar style full throwdown with haymakers and blood. It sells to the 18-39 year old crowd.

UFC is no longer the "best fighters in the world". They don't want you to grapple. And there are better strikers in pro boxing, muay thai and kickboxing.

Hell, under THESE UFC trends....Floyd Mayweather could win the heavyweight division haha!

I think they are trying to fix the problems they inherited from these boxing judges. Mayweather is a perfect example of what Dana doesn't want to happen to the UFC. This decision could be a start in the right direction for scoring damage.

People often say they respect Dana White because he is a "fan of the sport." Maybe, but he is a just bleed fan. If I sat next to a Dana - esque fan at the bar, I would grab my beer, standup and move father down the bar.

Well I'm glad Zapata won that" lay on me and and prevent me from getting up" Man-Love fest.

Either way it Was controversial and the judging was suspect.But to say that the Edgar fighter clearly "won" because he hugged it out longer than the Penn fighter is total bullsh!t. Now if the show was called The UHC,,The Ultimate Hugger Championship,,then Yes,the wrastler was victorious.

best way to solve it is just keep the fight going. 2 men enter 1 man leaves.

Maybe let the fighters pick how its judged. 3 rounds ko or judges. Or unlimited rounds till 1 guy is out.

Almost everyone know that the Unified Rules need some updating. Judges and Referees know it and somewhat do thier jobs accordingly.

Damage not being a factor is a joke, both you and I know it.

And this is the same Dana who has taken credit for creating the Unified Rules of MMA. As President of the biggest MMA organization in the world, he should know.

This only reinforces his position as a figurehead and nothing more.

Steve did yell out "watch your angles" many times to him before taking the point

How the fuck does that guy win that fight then? No fucking sense

The point was you are supposed to stop the action and issue an actual warning, DO THAT AGAIN AND A POINT. Not, "watch those angles....WATCH those angles...WATCH THOSE angles....hey WATCH THOSE ANGLES..." - He never said, STOP, if you do that again I will deduct a point for your downward elbow. Do you understand? Yes, action continues. MMA referees are seriously the worst trained SOBs on the planet.

The point was you are supposed to stop the action and issue an actual warning, DO THAT AGAIN AND A POINT. Not, "watch those angles....WATCH those angles...WATCH THOSE angles....hey WATCH THOSE ANGLES..." - He never said, STOP, if you do that again I will deduct a point for your downward elbow. Do you understand? Yes, action continues. MMA referees are seriously the worst trained SOBs on the planet.

That's kind of assuming the fighter wasn't made clear of the rules before hand (they are) and for some reason when the ref is telling you to clean up your shots he needs to spell it out for you because you're not required to know whats legal at a pro level

Point was warranted

Back