Dana doesn't know the rules(Tuf Controversy)

Well, its just the evolution of UFC. Its no longer just about who is the best fighter, but who is the more entertaining fighter.

What Stephens did was not "fighting" it was leg humping, you can be a great wrestler and actually fight. Randy Coture, Brock Lesner, Tito in his prime, Matt Hughes, there have been so many great wrestlers who FOUGHT when they were in the cage, they would have been just as disgusted by Stephens last night.

i think people are getting way too emotional against Dana.

Forget about the fairness of the point deduction. They got to a result of 10-8 wrestler and 9-9 and 9-9.

Because its TUF, they cant have a draw so they decide to give the victory the the other guy.

THE ONLY GUY NOONE GAVE THE VICTORY IN THEIR SCORES!!! this is mindboggling really. Did the two draw guys just decide to not count the point?

I really felt Stephens was robbed, especially if you go by the numbers.
I can't see how anyone could say Zapata was the one of the two fighters that should have advanced in the competition. He was unable to get to his feet, unable to defend the takedown, and completely powerless to stop Stephens from taking his back at will.
I'm not saying that Stephens in any way put on a great performance, he absolutely wasn't doing everything he could have to capitalize on such a dominant position. But it was pretty clear that Zapata was outmatched.
The other thing that I found quite annoying besides Dana acting like a little baby, and walking out during the fight, was Zapata carrying on like he deserved that win. Ian Stephens took the loss like a man, and assumed responsibility for it.

What Stephens did was not "fighting" it was leg humping, you can be a great wrestler and actually fight. Randy Coture, Brock Lesner, Tito in his prime, Matt Hughes, there have been so many great wrestlers who FOUGHT when they were in the cage, they would have been just as disgusted by Stephens last night.

Taking someone's back for 80% of the match is not "leg humping" or lay and pray, if you think that then just stop watching MMA and go watch K1 and boxing. Why watch a sport you hate?

Yeah, that was fucking nuts. Dana losing his mind over the judging was justfied...but Mazz gave the dude more than enough chances to stop fouling.

In a way though, i'm glad it went down like that because as Dana said...one fighter did NO damage, and the other did quite a lot.

Although I'm happy that Zapata won, but according to the way the score cards played out I think Stephens should have won. That said, Stephen had superior grappling and Octagon control and Zapata had the most affective striking and aggression. It makes a lot of sense to me, but the biggest problem with it IMO was the idiot judge that gave round 3 to Stephens. I can't fathom what kind of MMA judge could have given him that round.

The rules on the show are unique. The "sudden victory " round is supposed to be the basis for winning the fight. So if the judges score it a majority draw, how do we proceed? Apparently the show had a solution in the rules saying the judges weigh the fight as a whole, and thus Zapata was given the nod.

Stephens should try actually throwing some strikes; Zapata had zero marks of damage on his face after "12-15 minutes" of ground n pound.

i think people are getting way too emotional against Dana.

Forget about the fairness of the point deduction. They got to a result of 10-8 wrestler and 9-9 and 9-9.

Because its TUF, they cant have a draw so they decide to give the victory the the other guy.

THE ONLY GUY NOONE GAVE THE VICTORY IN THEIR SCORES!!! this is mindboggling really. Did the two draw guys just decide to not count the point?

9-9 round 3 means Zapata won the round but lost a point. So two judges gave him the whole fight, therefore he was victorious.

No point deduction, Zapata would have clearly won. With point deduction, it was a majority draw. Either way the wrestler does NOT WIN.

The judge that gave the wrestler 10-8 in the 3rd could have been the SAME JUDGE that gave Zapata the first two rounds! In other words, the 10-8 wrestler judge would see his overall scores as 28-28 and just be forced to make a call because of the rules.

Everyone is assuming the 10-8 judge is crazy when the KISS principle would lead us to understand that close, inconsistent scoring + point deduction + sudden victory = unexpected result.

I don't think either of them should have won (but that's not how this works). This fight was a disgrace. Steven's submission game is garbage.

If I were to judge the fight as a whole i'd say Zapata won.

No point deduction, Zapata would have clearly won. With point deduction, it was a majority draw. Either way the wrestler does NOT WIN.

The judge that gave the wrestler 10-8 in the 3rd could have been the SAME JUDGE that gave Zapata the first two rounds! In other words, the 10-8 wrestler judge would see his overall scores as 28-28 and just be forced to make a call because of the rules.

Everyone is assuming the 10-8 judge is crazy when the KISS principle would lead us to understand that close, inconsistent scoring + point deduction + sudden victory = unexpected result.

But there was a point deduction they cant just ignore it when they want. the point deduction was there and that seals the deal on zapata not winning. The other guy should have gotten the nod.he was the only one who won 2 rounds at at least one judges scorecards.

9-9 round 3 means Zapata won the round but lost a point. So two judges gave him the whole fight, therefore he was victorious.

You cant disregard the point deduction to give him the round. The point deduction is there to always count even if it stupid/

Rounds ending. Time limits. When hes that much better a wrestler, its only a matter of time.

Given all the time in the world Stephens would have bleed to death before he could have got a rear naked on Zapata.

I think the judging shows one of the biggest flaws in MMA; inconsistency. If there were a quick fix, it would have likely already occurred. However, being a state commissioned fight, there isn't much Dana White or the UFC can do about bad judging, or reffing, for that matter. Hopefully, within the next year, something will be done to improve the inconsistent nature of MMA judging and scoring.

Look at me look at him.
Look at me look at him!

BJ is so awesome

I don't understand how a ref deducting a point after at least a half dozen warnings for the same infraction can be viewed as unjustified. There's no way this should have been viewed as a screw up..unless you think it should have been done sooner. If that was anyone other than Mazzagatti, Dana wouldn't have bitched.

Since when is deducting a point for a strike that isn't illegal good reffing? He didn't give half a dozen warnings. He gave a total of 3. 2 in the first round, wherein only the first elbow he threw was illegal. The other elbow he got warned for wasn't illegal. No warnings in the 2nd round. In the 3rd, he gave him a warning after Zapata threw some elbows that were close, then a little later he deducted a point after Zapata threw another elbow which was even further away from being illegal. That's not good reffing.

They need to get rid of the 12-6 elbow rule so we don't have to worry about stuff like this in the first place.

Taking someone's back for 80% of the match is not "leg humping" or lay and pray, if you think that then just stop watching MMA and go watch K1 and boxing.

Since when is 5 and a half minutes 80% of 15 minutes? It's 37%. Also, you can be in mount and still LnP.

I think the volume on your tv is broken chief because he warned him in all 3 rounds.

Back