Dana doesn't know the rules(Tuf Controversy)

How about we discuss the part where the last round was scored a 10-8 for stephans by one judge and a 9-9 by the other two. So then they are told to circle who they thought won the fight and all 3 judges apparently circled the blue fighter? How in the fuck does that happen, how do you give a guy a 10-8 round then say the other guy won? And is that even the way they are supposed to decide a fight if it goes to a draw on TUF? I thought they had said in the past that if the sudden death round was a draw it went to a second sudden death round? What a clusterfuck.

Exactly right.

Dana hates grappling. He wants Griffin vs Bonnar every damn fight. Two guys just slugging it out, blood everywhere, like a scene from Rocky 4.

But, he is frustrated, because to make it a "real fight", he must allow grappling and submissions, and he HATES that pure grapplers are just better fighters, in general, than pure strikers. Its proven time and time again. So when a guy has much better grappling than his opponent, theres a good chance he'll win. And it will be seen as boring by Dana White.

Ben Askren could shed some light on this issue. I think he should be in the UFC.

They need just turn it into K1 or WWF, and be done with it.

Either make it all striking, or, script the damn thing like WWF.

Dana doesn't want boring grappling matches. He literally said so.

How about we discuss the part where the last round was scored a 10-8 for stephans by one judge and a 9-9 by the other two. So then they are told to circle who they thought won the fight and all 3 judges apparently circled the blue fighter? How in the fuck does that happen, how do you give a guy a 10-8 round then say the other guy won? And is that even the way they are supposed to decide a fight if it goes to a draw on TUF? I thought they had said in the past that if the sudden death round was a draw it went to a second sudden death round? What a clusterfuck.

raven, i believe that was miscommunication. i think dana got it wrong. i'm sure the 10-8 judge didn't say "oh i was wrong, give it to zapata"

i think they meant the "collective" of the 3 judges awarded it to zapata.

and i believe the sudden death round is only in the finals, which is the only actual professionally sanctioned bout.

that's why i don't think kizer will have any backlash for this. he'll just say "who cares, it's an exhibition fight" -- which it is

Ben Askren could shed some light on this issue. I think he should be in the UFC.

100% right. He'd probably be the champion in UFC at his weight class. But Dana wont do it, because he wont sell tickets. I don't know anyone in that division who could overcome Askren's grappling.

Too bad he isn't a roided out freak who throws wild haymakers. Dana would love him.

Even with the rule, the judges had it 10-8, 9-9, 9-9, WITH the blue fighter losing a point.

Which means...the 9-9 judges took the point away, but otherwise had the blue fighter as the winner.

HOW IN THE HELL did they think he won? You get your back taken immediately, and cant do shit, and get smothered and dominated the whole round. And you win?

because dana white is flipping out in front of them and they were scared.

he was bitching about stephens milking the elbow, etc.

everything was tainted.

They need just turn it into K1 or WWF, and be done with it.

Either make it all striking, or, script the damn thing like WWF.

Dana doesn't want boring grappling matches. He literally said so.

Nobody wants 'boring grappling matches'! I think Dana's fine with grappling when it leads to something. What we saw tonight was not all that different from a typical lay and pray attack where one tries to inhibit the other from doing anything by tying him up, but without making significant progress toward a finish. A guy that shows proficiency in tying a guys arms and legs up may be demonstrating control, but its not the kind of control that will win you many points in the UFC. Still, its wrong to say that dana is against grappling.. I think he appreciates active jiu jisu when its skillfully employed as much as the next guy.. I blame Mazzagatti for not standing them up when it was clear progress toward a finish wasnt being made. But lets face it.. Stevens had plenty of cracks at rear naked chokes that he just couldnt pull off, and that, ultimately, led to a less than scintillating fight, histrionics with the scoring aside.

i actually didn't find the fight boring.

because dana white is flipping out in front of them and they were scared.

he was bitching about stephens milking the elbow, etc.

everything was tainted.

He should've been more pissed off that his beloved show selected a participant whose grappling was so pathetic, that his opponent was able to ride his back for 12 out of 15 minutes and basically make him look like a fool on the ground.

But luckily he threw a few bitch slaps behind his own head to blindly land some "strikes", and they gave him a win for it.

I agree with TA. The ref gain him plenty of warning. And even when he did throw at a angle, he was hitting behind the head all 3 rds

They both suck and deserve to lose that fight. One guy has horrific grappling, the other guy didn't land a single strike until 1 minute in round 3, he did zero with dominant position except keep,trying a pitiful rear naked choke. He had plenty of chances to unload and he simply held the position. That was text book lay and pray. At the end of the fight would rather been the guy in the blue. Those crappy elbows were more damaging than anything the red guy did. All he did was lay on him. Either way they both suck.

The whole "look at his face. Now look at mine". Anyone that bases their decision off of this is an idiot.

First off, I am a Dana nut-hugger(love his open opinion even though I don't always agree)but the Mazagatti point deduction was justified, warned then a point. You don't need to tell the fighter next warning then a point, warning then point. That is explained before every fight. These are pro fighters, even if it wasn't told before the fight they should know that. Although Mazagatti should have had the doctor clear Ian Stephens before resuming the fight.

As far as the judging, Dana thinks DAMAGE is a category which it is NOT. This fight never should have seen a 3rd round, the rules state striking and effective grappling carry equal weight. Then control(where the fight takes place) and aggressiveness.

As for the scoring in the 3rd round...... Someone should lose their job, wait he did.

No. Mazzagatti shouldn't have warned him about the elbows, and it's a stupid rule to begin with. As for the judging, they got it right. Effective striking is basically damage. Stephens had very little in the way of effective grappling since he didn't have many takedowns, didn't pass and didn't do anything with back control. All the guy had to do was throw a bunch of strikes and he wins the fight, but he just laid there. Stephens had control, but Zapata had aggressiveness and defense.

I didn't know some people were still in favor of rewarding blankets with wins. Jesus, all the guy had to do was throw a bunch of strikes instead of doing nothing.

I thought maybe round 3 could go either way but not with a deduction, either a draw or Stephens wins.

It was a draw, but they can't have draws, so it was decided by who the judges felt won the fight. Try to pay attention next time.

dana 100% influenced the judges. it is bullcrap.

stephens dominated the entire fight. 30-26. no brainer. how it even got to rd 3 is beyond me.

dana projected years of frustration of stifling fighters onto stephens, and the kid didn't deserve it. he fought his ass off.

I'm starting to wonder if people in this thread actually watched that episode. Dana influenced the judges? They came to a different conclusion than Dana. Dominated the fight? Fought his ass off? Did you watch an old episode of TUF or something? Nothing you said happened on the episode that was shown.

...you have terrible reading comprehension and cannot convert words on your screen into thoughts

I was fine with the point deduction, Mazagatti warned him several times in round 1 for holding the fence and illegal elbows. Then he went to him directly between round 1 & 2 and made sure he understood that illegal elbows wouldn't be tolerated. What I don't understand is how any judge could score the 3rd round a draw much less a 10-8 for either fighter.

Nobody wants 'boring grappling matches'! I think Dana's fine with grappling when it leads to something. What we saw tonight was not all that different from a typical lay and pray attack where one tries to inhibit the other from doing anything by tying him up, but without making significant progress toward a finish. A guy that shows proficiency in tying a guys arms and legs up may be demonstrating control, but its not the kind of control that will win you many points in the UFC. Still, its wrong to say that dana is against grappling.. I think he appreciates active jiu jisu when its skillfully employed as much as the next guy.. I blame Mazzagatti for not standing them up when it was clear progress toward a finish wasnt being made. But lets face it.. Stevens had plenty of cracks at rear naked chokes that he just couldnt pull off, and that, ultimately, led to a less than scintillating fight, histrionics with the scoring aside.

I can't stand it when a fighter just goes for control. It really irks me.

Back