Dana doesn't know the rules(Tuf Controversy)

Discussion in 'So You Wanna Be A Fighter Discussion' started by cooks6161, May 21, 2014.

1. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

First off, I am a Dana nut-hugger(love his open opinion even though I don't always agree)but the Mazagatti point deduction was justified, warned then a point. You don't need to tell the fighter next warning then a point, warning then point. That is explained before every fight. These are pro fighters, even if it wasn't told before the fight they should know that. Although Mazagatti should have had the doctor clear Ian Stephens before resuming the fight.

As far as the judging, Dana thinks DAMAGE is a category which it is NOT. This fight never should have seen a 3rd round, the rules state striking and effective grappling carry equal weight. Then control(where the fight takes place) and aggressiveness.

As for the scoring in the 3rd round...... Someone should lose their job, wait he did.

2. AssWhoopin

AssWhoopin The Mutt

He may just sound like a fan to the fighter, he should have stopped the action, warmed the fighter so it was clear and then taken the point. What if it was Matt Hammel.

3. ShagginTurtles

ShagginTurtles Brown Belt

Steve did yell out "watch your angles" many times to him before taking the point

How the fuck does that guy win that fight then? No fucking sense

4. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

Agreed, but restart in the same position. You cannot reward a foul by getting him out of a bad spot. Most refs don't stop the competition from a foul if it was committed by the fighter in a bad position, they do exactly what Steve did. He also warned him in his corner.

Mazagatti does suck though, he seems unaware and doesn't make quick decisions very well.

5. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

Good point inregard to a deaf fighter, that is a more unique situation that should be handled slightly different. BUT I don't think the elbows that the point was deducted on were 12-6 elbows. There were some 12-6 elbows thrown and he did warn him without stopping he fight. As said, these are train professionals that are very aware of the basic rules in which they fight under.

I think everyone over-reacted, the production did a good job of glorifying those reactions and putting it on TV. It's how the judging turned out, but I don't think this system had ever been utilized on TUF or any UFC event. So its different and seems odd. It doesn't appear to me as though the judges really had a "set" way in how they judged the fight. Whether grappling was equivalent to strikes, or damage was more prevelant then control.

I think the right fighter did win. But in a standard fight I'm almost positive red team fighter would've gotten the win due to control.

Is this why Nevada got a new commissioner? This situation was the catalyst or is that heresay?

6. Almost everyone know that the Unified Rules need some updating. Judges and Referees know it and somewhat do thier jobs accordingly.

Damage not being a factor is a joke, both you and I know it.

7. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

Dana should learn how judges are told to score if he is going to be so critical. Saying one guy did more damage means nothing. It might not be right but that is the way it is......

8. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

Agree, but they answer to the commission and that is how it they are told to judge. I think they should no longer use a boxing system and come up for a revised system entirely.

9. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

Mazzagatti even warned Zapata after the first round! He said "You were close on those 12-6 elbows. Make sure that they're coming in at an angle". If that's not a warning then I guess I'm just crazy.

10. D Train

D Train Gold Belt

12-6 elbows should be legal in the first place.

11. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

This was the straw that broke Keith Kizers back.

12. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Easy answer: Dana White hates grappling. He literally said "I hate when a guy just wrestles".

He wants a bar style full throwdown with haymakers and blood. It sells to the 18-39 year old crowd.

UFC is no longer the "best fighters in the world". They don't want you to grapple. And there are better strikers in pro boxing, muay thai and kickboxing.

Hell, under THESE UFC trends....Floyd Mayweather could win the heavyweight division haha!

13. underdogftw

underdogftw Blue Belt

This is exactly what I was thinking when dana said that shit. Sure it would be nice to give a final warning but they don't have to after warning several times before.

I also agree with how damage shouldn't be considered as everything specially when the dmg is not massive since the rule clearly implies position/control matter.

14. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

While not being called "damage" as such due to (mostly) legal reasons, its still included in what the unified rules describes as effective striking. Sadly a lot of judges don't seem to be aware of this...

"Judged by determining the impact of legal strikes landed by a contestant and the number of such legal strikes. Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed. These assessments include causing an opponent to appear stunned from a legal blow, causing the opponent to stagger, appearance of a cut or bruise from a legal strike and causing the opponent to show pain. Cumulative impact on a fighter will also be weighed. If neither fighter shows an advantage in impact of strikes, the number of strikes will determine the most effective striker."

15. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Under ANY RULES IN THE WORLD........if the blue fighter wins that fight, then it is NOT A "FIGHT".

I don't know what you'd call it. But whatever he won...its not a "fight". He got his ass handed to him in that fight.

16. stressdesilets

stressdesilets Orange Belt

zapata did nothing but survive. No way he won that fight IMO.

17. EzFlyer

EzFlyer Titanium Belt

dana 100% influenced the judges. it is bullcrap.

stephens dominated the entire fight. 30-26. no brainer. how it even got to rd 3 is beyond me.

dana projected years of frustration of stifling fighters onto stephens, and the kid didn't deserve it. he fought his ass off.

18. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

Duh! Hence the word effective. But controlling position, effective grappling is equal to a staggering blow. I don't agree, but that is a rule issue not a judge issue.

19. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

I thought maybe round 3 could go either way but not with a deduction, either a draw or Stephens wins.

20. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Exactly right.

Dana hates grappling. He wants Griffin vs Bonnar every damn fight. Two guys just slugging it out, blood everywhere, like a scene from Rocky 4.

But, he is frustrated, because to make it a "real fight", he must allow grappling and submissions, and he HATES that pure grapplers are just better fighters, in general, than pure strikers. Its proven time and time again. So when a guy has much better grappling than his opponent, theres a good chance he'll win. And it will be seen as boring by Dana White.