Dana doesn't know if he could talk about Eddie Alvarez."It's going to get ugly".

I'm doubtful that the UFC would try to pick apart a Bellator contract to find a loophole in the match clause. Because they (the UFC) also use a match clause, so if they invalidate it in a Bellator contract, it would open that door in their own.

all the UFC has to do is offer a PPV percentage and there would be no way Bellator could match that lol

Well, it's really up to Eddie. Does he want to be recognized as a house hold name, kicking ass the UFC, the premier organization for MMA, a place to truly challenge yourself? Or, does he want to go unnoticed to the world outside of MMA fans, make less money in the long run, and be a big fish in a a small pond, a champ in a second rate organization that draws little respect from the rest of the world and has nothing there to challenge him?

Up to him really. But if he wants the world, and wants the fame, the money and to be considered one of the best... the UFC is the place. He's not getting that ANYWHERE else in MMA.

Actually it's not up to Eddie at all Bellator has the right to match any UFC offer no matter what Eddie wants.

It's impossible for the UFC to lose on this deal. They either get Eddie and, as a result, deny Bellator their biggest star. Or they don't, but Bellator is paying much more to keep Eddie. So they are paying more to have something they already had. And next time when negotiations come up.... Eddie gets another big raise.

Regarding the match clause... Does it stipulate that the UFC only gets one shot? Like, say they do 500K to show and 500K to win, and Bellator matches, can the UFC come back with 550?

Exactly!!! Dana just gets upset because he wants to win now! The UFC just has to continue pushing the dollars up until they either take away all of their stars or they force them to sell their company to ZUFFA.

It wasn't that long ago that Eddie was spewing off about wanting to fight the best in the world.

Now that he has a chance, he's might stay away from the big bad monsters at the top of the food chain.

Well, it's really up to Eddie. Does he want to be recognized as a house hold name, kicking ass the UFC, the premier organization for MMA, a place to truly challenge yourself? Or, does he want to go unnoticed to the world outside of MMA fans, make less money in the long run, and be a big fish in a a small pond, a champ in a second rate organization that draws little respect from the rest of the world and has nothing there to challenge him?

Up to him really. But if he wants the world, and wants the fame, the money and to be considered one of the best... the UFC is the place. He's not getting that ANYWHERE else in MMA.

Well said, sir.

I hope somebody has told Eddie this.

Really hoping Eddie goes to the UFC. It's where he belongs.

Me to. I really don't see him being the man to make or break Bellator, and should be fighting the top guys in the UFC.

You don't understand the match clause. Just because they match the offer made, doesn't mean Eddie HAS to take it. The match clause is there to allow Bellator the equal playing ground of any offer given, but doesn't mean Eddie HAS to accept it and locked into Bellator for life.

https://twitter.com/Ealvarezfight

Edward Alvarez ‏@Ealvarezfight
I dont know if I can stay quiet any longer , I am very close at just saying F!@# it !!! Sry 4 all the BS guys, things will get figured out

Edward Alvarez ‏@Ealvarezfight
Guys its not Up to Me , Who I fight for ,Trust Me

suck it.

Its not up to him? Wtf is he talkign about. Then who signs his contract??

Would love to see Alvarez in the UFC. Always brings it, and no one is safe facing him,.., would definitely be wild!

Even though I'd love to see Alvarez knock mothers out in the UFC, I'd like it more if he stayed in Bellator and helped Bellator grow.

Eddie won't have that big an impact on Bellators growth one way or another.

Pretty much this. I would lose respect for Alvarez if he stays in Bellator. He would be admitting "hey, I like to beat up lesser competition and I don't think I'd do that well in the big leagues".

Oh noes Eddie lost the respect of some dude on the internet.

Seriously though, as has already been stated, it's not up to Eddie and even if it was I don't see how you could sit there and judge him for a decision like that. You'd just be making assumptions about a situation you know nothing about.

You're overselling Eddie Alvarez, Michael Chandler challenged him.

I think he would be challenged more in Bellator ironically.

I say that because its harder to study and prepare for lesser known guys, they are more of a threat in some sense.

Like the Glove Texiera's of the world.

Nobody knows who they are until its too late for the guy standing across from them in the cage.

Nope! They are legally required to re-sign with Bellator if the offer gets matched.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/6/3295953/bellator-lawsuit-legal-action-tyson-nam-eduardo-dantas-mma-news

"Like many other MMA promotions, Bellator includes a "matching clause" in their contracts that obligate a fighter to re-sign if they're able to match a competitor's offer."

Interesting. I would think that the UFC could insert a "poison pill" in the contract by including at least one guaranteed PPV.

Interesting. I would think that the UFC could insert a "poison pill" in the contract by including at least one guaranteed PPV.

I guess it would depend on the verbiage of the contracts. Since the PPV percentage isn't an automatic value it might not count? Or Dana could just not want the fighter enough to worry about it lol.

You're overselling Eddie Alvarez, Michael Chandler challenged him.

I think he would be challenged more in Bellator ironically.

I say that because its harder to study and prepare for lesser known guys, they are more of a threat in some sense.

Like the Glove Texiera's of the world.

Nobody knows who they are until its too late for the guy standing across from them in the cage.

I see where your going but outside of a fluke, the best in the world just don't drop fights to nobodies. It happens once every couple years at best and that is about it.

Overall Bellator can give him maybe two interesting matchups in the next few years.

Eddie easily has much better fights in the UFC and interesting match ups that could keep him fighting 3-4 times a year til he retires.

I get the feeling Eddie just doesn't want to fight in the UFC.

Back