Dana critizing Bob Arum is funny

I used to care but after being a fan for this long I've realized that everything Dana says to the public is useless. Just check what cards are coming up and decide what you want to watch based on that. I'll always watch fighter interviews, etc... but anytime Dana opens his mouth I just ignore what he is saying.

He promises all these fights, puts out all these opinions and will consistently pull a complete 180. Promoter has to promote, but I'm done listening to his bullshit.

I used to care but after being a fan for this long I've realized that everything Dana says to the public is useless. Just check what cards are coming up and decide what you want to watch based on that. I'll always watch fighter interviews, etc... but anytime Dana opens his mouth I just ignore what he is saying.

He promises all these fights, puts out all these opinions and will consistently pull a complete 180. Promoter has to promote, but I'm done listening to his bullshit.

Why man?

Everyone needs a pet, lying scumbag, sleezy, shit eating, promoter to defend on the internet.

Ufc does ~ 12 ppv events per year and tons of non ppv that they still get paid from fox. Pacman fights 3 times per year. Now that pacman lost only mayweather left as draw, ufc on another hand has many fighters that draw plus they always look to recruit more fighters that will draw. From all ppvs per year ufc makes more $ than boxing with pacman/mayweather. Plus their overhead is lowere since they dont pay 20 mil to one fighter. I am guessing ufc makes killing from non-ppv in countries they have tv contracts, plus merchandising.
That said dw or any other promoter is the last person you want to believe.

Pacquiao doesn't lose his drawing power, man. What would give you that idea? The Mayweather fight may be less intriguing to some now that he's lost, but he's still going to pull big numbers when he fights from here on out. Once you reach the level of popularity that Pacquiao reached it just doesn't up and vanish with a loss. In fact it probably doesn't effect his popularity and drawing power at all with his fanbase. Just like Tyson's highest PPV buys came after he had already been knocked out a couple of times. Just like Oscar's highest PPV buy came only two fights after he got knocked out and embarrassed by Hopkins on a body shot.

Also the money the UFC gets from FOX is almost equaled by the money boxing gets annually from HBO and Showtime. Not quite, but those two premium channels still have an annual budget combined that is in the 65 to 70 million dollar range and those are only for the fights they put on their regular channels. That money that HBO & Showtime pays also allows boxing to put on fights that, more often than not, Uncle Dana would be asking you to fork over PPV dollars for. It allows the boxers to make high six and even seven figure paydays without asking the consumer to fork over the extra PPV dollars for. With this new FOX deal, how many legitimate championship fights has the UFC put on without asking PPV dollars? Just the one from this past show? Well, boxing has put on at least six or seven legitimate championship fights this past year and I'm not talking about these sanctioning body props either. Legitimate championships too where the top two guys in the division fought each other for the championship rights. Donaire-Nishioka, Ward-Dawson, Garcia-Khan, etc. In fact the Ward-Dawson fight featured a fight between two Ring Magazine champions in separate divisions and was featured on regular HBO. The few PPVs that boxing puts on per year are reserved for those fights that generally command the big purses and are out price range of HBO or Showtime to put on their regular networks. Boxing is by no means as reliant on the PPV dollars that the UFC is, as they have a business model that has already proven plenty profitable for all involved in the boxing. That's including the fighters, the promoters and the networks.

They don't have the PPV draws that the UFC has because they don't need to rely on PPV dollars as much. But don't kid yourself in saying Mayweather (and Pacquiao) aren't draws because boxing has a shitload of draws all over the world and boxing does numbers worldwide that the UFC can only dream about. What does the UFC have for an international market? Brazil? Anywhere else doing big numbers? Being a Canadian, I know they don't do ratings that are all that great up here in this country seeing as how the most viewed UFC event up here was the most recent one at about 455,000, which is well down the sporting ranking on television behind women's figure skating, ladies curling, CIS football, nevermind the more established sports up here like hockey, CFL or NFL football, baseball, golf, tennis, etc., etc. So, unless you have another country that I'm not aware of, you're pretty much left with Brazil as the UFC's international market, and as good as the numbers have been down there (and they have been very good, don't get me wrong), boxing has bettered those numbers on many, many occasions over the last few years. A 15 or 20 rating on Globo? Hey fantastic. It's not in the 36 to 52 ratings range that Pacquiao has gotten every time in recent years on GMA in the PHillipines, though. Nor is it even the 22 to 26 rating (or 28.8 vs Nishioka) that even somebody like Nonito Donaire gets on ABS in the same country. Or the 31 rating that Pacquiao & Marquez did last year at this time on TV Azteca in Mexico, which saw a peak viewership of over 40 million people. Or the 26.0 rating/63.6 share they did down this time around, which averages out to about 32 million viewers. Quite a bit more than the 19 million Silva-Sonnen did on Globo in Brazil in what was probably the biggest and most hyped UFC fight of the year, don't you think? Then you have the Klitschko's over in Germany who have consistently been in the 12 to 15 million viewership range for RTL and that's in a country with less than half the population of Brazil. You have the Kameda brothers (and some others who draw very well) over in Japan who put up big ratings, including a 43.1 rating for Koki Kameda's fight with Naito a couple of years ago. You have the big draws in Europe, including Mikael Kessler who has drawn shares over over 70% in some of his fights on television over there. Shit, you even have Chris John in Indonesia drawing 40% shares each time he fights and that's a guy a lot of the boxing world has never seen nevermind you of the UFC world. And there's plenty of others as well. Canelo down in Mexico draws ratings in the 23 to 26 range and around 30 million each time he fights on television down there. Chavez Jr is also a big draw down there, although his numbers are slightly less than Canelo's as he generally draws in the 15 rating range, which is about 15 to 18 million people. Guys like Erik Morales has drawn huge numbers in Mexico. Shit even a woman's fight from last year in Mexico drew big numbers as a bout between Ana Torres and Jackie Nava drew 18 rating points and over 20 million viewers down there.

Actually speaking of Canelo and Chavez Jr, those two guys just fought on the same night and at almost the exact same time a couple of months ago and it was successful all around. Both south of the US border where the two fights combined to do ratings in the 30 range, over 70% of the share and watched by 35 million people in Mexico. And north of the border where both fights sold out even though they took place at the same time and were just down the street from each other, as well as being successes on television too. Canelo broke the viewership record for Showtime at the time for boxing, whereas Chavez Jr sold something like 475,000 PPVs when he faced Martinez in each's PPV debut. Both numbers are impressive as stand alones, but even moreso when considering they were opposite of one another. There are two guys, and young guys at that, who've have already shown bigtime drawing power in the present and probably in the future. As have many other boxers from around the world.

Where did I ever say anything about MMA fans? I was talking about UFC fanboys that live and breathe on what Dana White says. Whether it's PRIDE sucks, Fedor sucks, UFC will be bigger than the NFL and Soccer. It never ends with the dumb shit UFC fanboys eat up that Dana serves.

this is what i bolded when i quoted the first post i responded to.

Most MMA fans are sheep and go along with things people say.

but now you'll say you didn't mean mma fans, you meant ufc fans. i don't really care to argue the point, but it still seems like a sectarian view to me.

What's that got to do with anything? Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has done over 500k which is what Silva has been doing.

Boxing needs more superstars all they have done is milk the star power of Manny and Floyd for the last 5 years all while refusing to fight eachother. On top of that the HW division has not had a single relevant fight since Tyson/Lewis.. I can't even watch Wlad on TV because it is always in Germany and nobody in the US carries it..

Back