Dana confirms Conor gets title shot with January win - likely Dublin in May

What a joke

this.

but no surprise at all. No way was UFC going to let their cash-cow face someone like Mendes, Edgar, Lamas, Bermudez, etc.

now we just have to hope that Aldo humbles him lol.

Besides Frankie, nobody gives two shits about any of those fighters. They're all boring as bat shit.

If the UFC is delaying Conor facing a wrestler to ensure he has the time to 'fix' any 'potential' holes in his TDD - I'm all for that. Especially if it means we can see these 'grinders' sent back to obscurity when Conor knocks them out.

That's doing a fighter a disservice. All that does is make a problem where if Conor does do shitty against wrestlers now you have a boring guy as champion. Much better to figure it out early.

I see you have a Jones AV you must be a fan. The UFC built him up the right way look at all the wrestlers he faced -

Vladimir
Hamill
O'Brien
Bader (to get the shot)

Wrestling is a major and necessary part of MMA. If Jones would have gotten an easy path to the title without wrestlers he might not ever have grown his game or been the guy he is today.

Uuuuuhh forget about Cub Swanson there bud?

Cub Swanson wasn't even ranked top ten by this site at the time. I've been over this before.

Keep acting like Swanson was a top four talent in 2010.

it isn't what you know, its who you blow, and that little lap-sprat luuuurves the ****.

I'm not one of these retarded mcgregor "fans" but i think he will beat aldo

If he beat Siver, the he's 5-0 against good opposition. Who is more deserving?

All style matchups that favored him. I'll give him credit. He's definitely good but the way the UFC is protecting him and rushing him to the top is sickening. Is it wrong to want to see a little bit of fairness? At least give him somebody who could actually shut up the people like me who say that he hasn't been tested vs a wrestler. I have no interest in seeing someone potentially win the belt who will most likely lose it the first time they fight someone that could expose their weakness.

The UFC has no longterm vision. It's all about right now and that's why their company is going to the shitter.

I understand that Aldo is one if their long underperforming champions (in terms of viewer interest). They've made that clear before. However, hosting this fight in Dublin seems rather insulting, as it would be MacGregor's first title fight. He's done nothing to warrant hosting the stage, yet.

Additionally, I feel that if they truly wanted to land in epic fashion, they'd hope that Connor wins in Vegas, then host his first bout as defending champion in Ireland.

biggest joke in a long time

Not at all.
You guys are saying like he was on 2 fight winning streak. He would then be on a 5 fight winning streak and a win over top 5 guy. Is that really a joke?
I don't think so.
IF we had another guy who has better wins and hasn't faced Aldo yet, then ok.
But who do we have? Edgar? Maybe better wins but already lost and brings nothing new to the table.
Cub was interesting and had better streak but lost.
You guys should just stop hating on the dude.

Exactly, and Conor is the most exciting style matchup for Aldo, so this fight mkes the most sense. Aldo isn't a wrestler, so why should Conor have to beat wrestlers to fight him? Conor has been dominating strikers.

So if Conor somehow wins against Aldo (which he won't) you might have a guy who can't stop wrestlers.

So have fun when one of those "boring wrestlers" becomes your champion just because you liked seeing Conor get easy style match-ups.

Fights are all about style match-ups.

Conor has been facing strikers repeatedly and is about to get a shot off beating a striker ranked lower than the last guy he fought.

Chad had to beat three straight wrestlers, Elkins, Guida, and Lentz.

All I ask is Conor fight ONE wrestler but trust me UFC made sure that didn't happen lol. Lamas, Chad, Elkins, Guida, Lentz, Frankie, etc.

Somehow Conor avoided all those guys (wrestlers) lol.

How is this making any sense? Chad faced a wrestler? So? He is freaking wrestler himself :eek:

Conor didn't fight wrestlers and he is a striker while Chad didn't fought elite strikers and he is a wrestler. So Chad was also given favorable match ups. In fact when did he beat elite striker before he got another title shot against the best striker in division? Elkins, Guida, Lentz? Or elite strikers like Meza or Cody? Give me a break.

Yes, UFC is pushing Conor but its not like they gave Chad any big bumps on his way to a title shot.

That's doing a fighter a disservice. All that does is make a problem where if Conor does do shitty against wrestlers now you have a boring guy as champion. Much better to figure it out early.

I see you have a Jones AV you must be a fan. The UFC built him up the right way look at all the wrestlers he faced -

Vladimir
Hamill
O'Brien
Bader (to get the shot)

Wrestling is a major and necessary part of MMA. If Jones would have gotten an easy path to the title without wrestlers he might not ever have grown his game or been the guy he is today.

It's a necessary part of MMA but it's irrelevant to this discussion. Conor's path to the title is on par with virtually every opponent Aldo has faced - In fact it's on par with most title shots full stop.

The only 'wrestlers' that would get a chance to take the belt from Conor [After he KO's Aldo] are Mendes & Frankie. Both would sell well. As a promoter, looking long term - Conor is the champ you want. [IF] he has any problem with TDD [Which has zero basis] it would be smart to allow that aspect of his game to develop.

It's not a disservice. It's business.

I understand that Aldo is one if their long underperforming champions (in terms of viewer interest). They've made that clear before. However, hosting this fight in Dublin seems rather insulting, as it would be MacGregor's first title fight. He's done nothing to warrant hosting the stage, yet.

Additionally, I feel that if they truly wanted to land in epic fashion, they'd hope that Connor wins in Vegas, then host his first bout as defending champion in Ireland.

Pretty sure that making them lots of money is a good enough reason...and it's what the fans want to see!

In what way, shape, or form is nik motherfucking lentz better than dustin poirier?

The same swanson who couldn't defend a td or fight off his back to save his life? Lost to mendes years ago because he had no clue how to counter chad's wrestling, as soon as the fight hit the mat vs lamas, got choked out, then got thoroughly grapple fucked by edgar.

People complain about mcgregor getting an easy road to a title shot...swanson was living off of extremely favorable match-ups, with the exception of poirier, who he fought on short notice, and still only beat him 29-28.

if we are gonna talk about the past...
doesn't Connie have 2 sub losses...
people act like he's undefeated or something...

War Conor. All his competition has looked like amateurs against him.

Aldo wants that stadium money, I guarantee it was talked about.

Either way Conor will pressure Aldo and break him down in 2 rounds.

I really don't see what's wrong about Conor getting a title shot if he defeats Siver in dominant fashion. It would make him 5-0 with some top 6-20 wins, and a new, exciting matchup for Aldo. Win or lose, Conor will face the likes of Mendes, Lamas, or Edgar in time. This fight could also be Aldo's ticket to the big money, it's a win win for the fans, and the UFC.

The same Nik Lentz that ducked Conor? :icon_lol:

v9Mlqw.gif
Sure.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/29/6862487/tweets-of-the-day-nik-lentz-calls-out-conor-mcgregor-following-ufc

In what way, shape, or form is nik motherfucking lentz better than dustin poirier?
Better wrestler.

The same swanson who couldn't defend a td or fight off his back to save his life? Lost to mendes years ago because he had no clue how to counter chad's wrestling, as soon as the fight hit the mat vs lamas, got choked out, then got thoroughly grapple fucked by edgar.

People complain about mcgregor getting an easy road to a title shot...swanson was living off of extremely favorable match-ups, with the exception of poirier, who he fought on short notice, and still only beat him 29-28.

Swanson was winning over strikers easy. What happened when he faced a wrestler? How do you know it won't be the same for Conor?

Pretty sure that making them lots of money is a good enough reason...and it's what the fans want to see!

I'm not arguing that. I'm just using the general blueprint for championship fights as a standard. Generally the champion hosts in their home country, and/or the fight is at the UFC's home city of Vegas.

Let Connor actually win a belt, or prove that he belongs in there with the champ, before giving him home field advantage.

Back