Dana Commetns on Cormier fight at LHW?

tuff juice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Has he said much of anything about Cormier at LHW vs Johnny Jones, or mentioned how far Cormier is from a title shot, etc? Who should he fight, in yr opinion?

Cormier is bringing a belt over, even if it's from a higher weight class. He can't be more than one fight from a title shot vs Jones, right? Shields beat Kampmann then got GSP. Then again, Hendo's Pride belts translated into two immediate title shots in each weight class.

Has Dana talked about Cormier cutting to 205 at all? Surely he's on board with it after he called out Big Country to do the same? Why doesn't Dana like flabbier guys anyway?

Well, Cormier would be a much different guy at 205. He wouldn't have the girth that he carries around right now. If the weight loss/cut were hard on him, it's hard to say if he would actually be close to the top of the division or not.

He will fight Mir at Fox 7.

Nothing changed besides that.

Has Dana talked about Cormier cutting to 205 at all? Surely he's on board with it after he called out Big Country to do the same? Why doesn't Dana like flabbier guys anyway?

Given Cormier kidney problems he's not going to make any public comments #1, #2 DC is a fight away from a HW title shot if he wanted it, hard to tell a man who has been elite his entire life to make drastic changes

No he's not .
He's fighting in SF for his last fight there.

The Fox fight is in April and DC has made a tentative challenge to Mir for then. It goes down the drain if he loses this week or if he gets injured of course

Didn't Cormier almost die from a weight cut at one point? Not so sure 205 is realistic.

If DC is a top HW, which he is, top 5 in my opinion, why not move down to fight JJ. JJ is arguably the most gifted guy in sport. DC could derail that train. Lots of people want to see that fight, LOTS.

From a business perspective, I think Dana is always going to have more trouble finding top level HWs than he will LHWs, so I don't see why he would encourage a successful HW to move down to LHW.

He'll need to prove he can still cut weight before being given a title shot surely.

From a business perspective, I think Dana is always going to have more trouble finding top level HWs than he will LHWs, so I don't see why he would encourage a successful HW to move down to LHW.

This^^^ and why any educated/longtime fan of MMA would argue against this is beyond logic

Didn't Cormier almost die from a weight cut at one point? Not so sure 205 is realistic.

cutting weight is one thing, dieting down is another. im no Mike Dolce but he looks like he could diet down to within a comfortable weight near to 205 or maybe not cut anything at all.

i think its crazy that he would risk his health to change a weight class rather than possible fight his training partner, so i dont think he would be at risk

Cormier is bringing a belt over, even if it's from a higher weight class. He can't be more than one fight from a title shot vs Jones, right? Shields beat Kampmann then got GSP. Then again, Hendo's Pride belts translated into two immediate title shots in each weight class.

Cormier isn't bringing a belt over... He won the HW Grand Prix not the HW belt, that one is vacant after SF released Overeem. Just saying...

Cormier isn't bringing a belt over... He won the HW Grand Prix not the HW belt, that one is vacant after SF released Overeem. Just saying...

thanks thats right totally forgot how that tourney went down, he's bringing a HWGP title, not a belt.

If DC is a top HW, which he is, top 5 in my opinion, why not move down to fight JJ. JJ is arguably the most gifted guy in sport. DC could derail that train. Lots of people want to see that fight, LOTS.

The problem is that one of the people not sure about that match-up is DC (Note: not saying he is scared. He does not want to cut weight). He has backed off his JJ comments basically completely. On Fuel after Cain won the belt he said he will still fight at HW. He went the next step to even leave fighting Cain on the table for the future.

He went the next step to even leave fighting Cain on the table for the future.

Now that's what I'm talking about, didn't know that. Black Fedor vs Mexican Fedor would be a matchup of 2 of the Top 3 all time Fedors, without a doubt.

I guess if he cuts off his leg. What's with you people and your delusion that everyone can successfully cut weight and be healthy?

Herp derp

Back