Dana Commetns on Cormier fight at LHW?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by tuff juice, Jan 7, 2013.

1. tuff juice

tuff juice Blue Belt

Has he said much of anything about Cormier at LHW vs Johnny Jones, or mentioned how far Cormier is from a title shot, etc? Who should he fight, in yr opinion?

Cormier is bringing a belt over, even if it's from a higher weight class. He can't be more than one fight from a title shot vs Jones, right? Shields beat Kampmann then got GSP. Then again, Hendo's Pride belts translated into two immediate title shots in each weight class.

Has Dana talked about Cormier cutting to 205 at all? Surely he's on board with it after he called out Big Country to do the same? Why doesn't Dana like flabbier guys anyway?

2. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Well, Cormier would be a much different guy at 205. He wouldn't have the girth that he carries around right now. If the weight loss/cut were hard on him, it's hard to say if he would actually be close to the top of the division or not.

3. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

He will fight Mir at Fox 7.

Nothing changed besides that.

4. ayiio

ayiio Black Belt

No he's not .
    He's fighting in SF for his last fight there.

5. blingking

blingking Brown Belt

Given Cormier kidney problems he's not going to make any public comments #1, #2 DC is a fight away from a HW title shot if he wanted it, hard to tell a man who has been elite his entire life to make drastic changes

6. blingking

blingking Brown Belt

The Fox fight is in April and DC has made a tentative challenge to Mir for then. It goes down the drain if he loses this week or if he gets injured of course

7. Natural11

Natural11 Blue Belt

Didn't Cormier almost die from a weight cut at one point? Not so sure 205 is realistic.

8. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

Not my words, his, buddy.

9. violent-1

violent-1 Blue Belt

If DC is a top HW, which he is, top 5 in my opinion, why not move down to fight JJ. JJ is arguably the most gifted guy in sport. DC could derail that train. Lots of people want to see that fight, LOTS.

10. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

From a business perspective, I think Dana is always going to have more trouble finding top level HWs than he will LHWs, so I don't see why he would encourage a successful HW to move down to LHW.

11. crlkllr

crlkllr Black Belt

He'll need to prove he can still cut weight before being given a title shot surely.

12. Brotha Will

Brotha Will Blue Belt

This^^^ and why any educated/longtime fan of MMA would argue against this is beyond logic

13. cOugAr_LIbRe_85

cOugAr_LIbRe_85 Brown Belt

cutting weight is one thing, dieting down is another. im no Mike Dolce but he looks like he could diet down to within a comfortable weight near to 205 or maybe not cut anything at all.

i think its crazy that he would risk his health to change a weight class rather than possible fight his training partner, so i dont think he would be at risk

14. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

I really don't see 205 happening with him

15. boudstyle

boudstyle Blue Belt

Cormier isn't bringing a belt over... He won the HW Grand Prix not the HW belt, that one is vacant after SF released Overeem. Just saying...

16. tuff juice

tuff juice Blue Belt

thanks thats right totally forgot how that tourney went down, he's bringing a HWGP title, not a belt.

17. jk1234

jk1234 Banned Banned

Jones or Glover would be fun

18. LongTermLurker

LongTermLurker "Et tu, Brute?" Platinum Member

The problem is that one of the people not sure about that match-up is DC (Note: not saying he is scared. He does not want to cut weight). He has backed off his JJ comments basically completely. On Fuel after Cain won the belt he said he will still fight at HW. He went the next step to even leave fighting Cain on the table for the future.

19. tuff juice

tuff juice Blue Belt

Now that's what I'm talking about, didn't know that. Black Fedor vs Mexican Fedor would be a matchup of 2 of the Top 3 all time Fedors, without a doubt.

20. Bleedforme**

Bleedforme** Orange Belt

I guess if he cuts off his leg. What's with you people and your delusion that everyone can successfully cut weight and be healthy?

Herp derp