Dana: Chael Sonnen vs. Vitor Belfort is at 185, title shot if Vitor wins

juddy96

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 59s

White also confirmed that the Sonnen-Belfort fight would be at 185. When asked if it was for the #1 contender he said, "it is for Vitor."

He says that right now, but if Chael were to pull the upset he would give him the shot. At that point it would be between Jacare/Rockhold.

Sonnen vs Weidman/Machida doubles either of them on PPV if not more.

And truth be told, he would deserve it.

Why would Chael take a harder fight at a lower weight on short notice if there was nothing to gain from it? Company guy I guess.

edit - If he beats Vitor he deserves a title shot. Vitor is without a doubt the number one contender.

Last edited:
Why would Chael take a harder fight at a lower weight on short notice if there was nothing to gain from it? Company guy I guess.

All the shit he talked about Jon Jones not doing it, he has no choice.

makes sense now

Bullshit if Chael doesn't get a title shot from having to cut weight, for the first time in 2 years in under a month, and beat Vitor.

LoL Classic Dana. "Yes but no. We'll see. Nevermind."

edit - If he beats Vitor he deserves a title shot. Vitor is without a doubt the number one contender.

Or, another far more obvious reason is $$$$$.

Sonnen is a 37 year old professional fighter who is no longer allowed to use TRT. Why would any fighter near the end of his fighting career turn down a good paying fight?

Or, another far more obvious reason is $$$$$.

Sonnen is a 37 year old professional fighter who is no longer allowed to use TRT. Why would any fighter near the end of his fighting career turn down a good paying fight?

He has enough money. He very easily could have said no. In fact he said he asked Dana if it was for a title shot and then he said yes, so he said he accepted after that.

He has enough money. He very easily could have said no. In fact he said he asked Dana if it was for a title shot and then he said yes, so he said he accepted after that.

really, you think he has enough money? didnt mike Tyson have 300 mil and lose it all (not saying sonnen is an idiot like him), the more money you make the more expensive your life style gets ...

how many NFL/NBA players have gone broke after they stopped playing...

This is a good pay day, like the other poster said, at his age, he can not afford to turn down good paying fights

He would deserve it if he beat fucking Vitor, he just doesn't deserve to fight Vitor in the first place. Anyone who beats Vitor will be gettin' that shot.

dont say chael gets it now - wait for him to win, if he does, and get on the mic - thats pretty much all she wrote

He says that right now, but if Chael were to pull the upset he would give him the shot. At that point it would be between Jacare/Rockhold.

Sonnen vs Weidman/Machida doubles either of them on PPV if not more.

And truth be told, he would deserve it.
Good post. I completely agree.

He would deserve it if he beat fucking Vitor, he just doesn't deserve to fight Vitor in the first place. Anyone who beats Vitor will be gettin' that shot.

Whats all this shit about deserving to fight guys.

It's a fight. If he's outmatched, he'll lose. If he wins, how the fuck can you say he didn't deserve it?

What the hell is the problem here?

Sonnen only agreed to the fight under the conditions he would get a title shot. I think it's Dana being Dana so he doesn't have to hear people shit on it.

If Chael wins, he'll then build him up and talk about how he subbed Shogun and beat Vitor and is worthy of a title shot. Until then, he's going to stay quiet.

Back