Dana: "Barao is like Anderson Silva"

philbr

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"Renan Barao is one of those guys that are like Anderson Silva. We forget that there was a time nobody talked about anderson and he wasnt as recognized as he is today. It took a long time. These things dont happen overnight. The same happened with chuck. Some guys get famous very fast, like connor mc gregor, for others it takes time. When you look at Barao's numbers and stats, its all there. He is the kind of guy i like watching. He's a killer, he gets in the cage and tries to finish you, hasnt lost in 10 years, nobody even took him down in the UFC, he finished 70% of his last 35 fights and 100% of all his defenses. Its amazing. I've heard all kinds of stupid things for his lack of recognition: that he is not handsome, that he doesnt speak english...but if you watch a fight to look at handsome guys, you are in the wrong place".

"Anderson got his fans after he landed that kick on vitor. If from that day up until now, he didnt speak english, it wouldn have made any difference. How much english does anderson speak anyway? He says "I back everybody, i back". That's one sentence in english for him. Its good to have a guy like chael sonnen, who can speak well, is funny and can host TV shows, but this is the fight business. The reality of having a lot of guys like sonnen doesnt exist. When you look at a guy like me, an unconditional fight fan, its different. I like guys that go for the finish, and Barao does that. You know i dont carw who you are or how much talent you have, but everybody has an off day. In this sport anything can happen. You can get caught in a bad situation or fight a guy that is not necessarily the most talented guy in the world, but has KO power in his punches or amazing submissions. Anything can happen, but it hasnt happen to Barao in over 10 years. That's why i say there is something special about him".

"I saw people saying on twitter that Barao doesnt make enough money because he was washing his clothes in a tub during one of our shows. Barao has this mentality of not wanting anything the easy way. He doesnt care if he is the champion or not, he washes his own clothes. He does the same things he used to do before being champion. its not a question of money, but mentality. Besides, who gets paid enough in the UFC today besides me? (laughs) That's what people say, but go take care of your bills and your onw money. Barao is doing fine. On one hand, i see people saying nobody cares about him because he is not handsome, doesnt speak english or fights in a lower weight class. On the other hand people say he doesnt get paid enough. What is the true side? If he is none of that, if he is not a star, why should we pay him more money? If he is all that, if the is a star, then he will get what he deserves. It's as simple as that. The guys that sell more tickets and PPV get paid more. Renan is doing fine, stop worrying".

"The reality is people are understimating Dillashaw, and that's a bad ideia. He's tough, complete, and holds the WEC and UFC bantamweight record for more significant strikes per minute. He is even more impressive on the ground, because 40% of the damage he makes on his opponent happens when his fights go to the ground. When you put both these guys numbers together, you can see its gonna be a war and the winner is gonna be the one that has the better chin".

http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...ao-anderson-demorou-para-ser-reconhecido.html

Last edited:
WTF?? I hate when dumb people say dumb stats, should seriously be banned :rolleyes:

"He's tough, complete, and holds the WEC and UFC bantamweight record for more significant strikes per minute. He is even more impressive on the ground, because 40% more damage is made when his fights go to the ground"

Did not read it, But Barao looks like a mix between a donkey and a nosferatu like the one from the 1920s movie

I dont really disagree with Dana here. 98% of the time I do but not here. Barao deserves his due.

Did not read it, But Barao looks like a mix between a donkey and a nosferatu like the one from the 1920s movie

Yah hes not the best looking dude. He wont win a handsome contest thats for sure haha an MMA fight though...

WTF?? I hate when dumb people say dumb stats, should seriously be banned :rolleyes:

"He's tough, complete, and holds the WEC and UFC bantamweight record for more significant strikes per minute. He is even more impressive on the ground, because 40% more damage is made when his fights go to the ground"

dana white should be banned

a champion Like him should do more than just being 'fine', although he is not a star, he still champ and he should be getting enough money to fight full time and get a washing machine

There might be a translation issue (mine or from the reporter)...it's a quote from Dana but its translated to Portuguese by the reporter...according to the reporter, dana said 40% of the damage he makes comes from the ground fight, that is, GNP...

Barao will never be as great as Anderson.

Yeah, like being great is something objective, something you can touch. He IS already as great as AS for some of us. For some others, he never will be even if he cleans out two divisions. But thats the way it goes.

Barao will never be as great as Anderson.

Ermagerd, did you not just hear what Dana said?! Move over Baroni, he's the best eva!

I'm imagining how angry Dana will be when he sees the PPV numbers after talking up Barao so much.

I like the lower weight classes, but it's pretty apparent they don't sell as well as the heavier guys.

a champion Like him should do more than just being 'fine', although he is not a star, he still champ and he should be getting enough money to fight full time and get a washing machine

He has a part time job? Since he according to you does not make enough money to train and fight full time.

How do you know he does not have a washing machine?
Because the promo video was not from his home but an apartment he shares with other fighters when he trains, if I got it correctly.

Also is a washing machine some how a measure of your success and income?

Yeah, like being great is something objective, something you can touch. He IS already as great as AS for some of us. For some others, he never will be even if he cleans out two divisions. But thats the way it goes.

You are the minority.

Ermagerd, did you not just hear what Dana said?! Move over Baroni, he's the best eva!

I'm imagining how angry Dana will be when he sees the PPV numbers after talking up Barao so much.

I like the lower weight classes, but it's pretty apparent they don't sell as well as the heavier guys.

He should just pay him more and call it a day.

Also is a washing machine some how a measure of your success and income?

Don't know, but NOT having one sure as hell is :D

(not saying he doesn't have one, I know nothing about that)

I've heard all kinds of stupid things for his lack of recognition: that he is not handsome....

This^ is just ridiculous. Jose Aldo is even uglier and he's recognized. Bigfoot is by far the ugliest and he's recognized. Barao doesn't receive the respect and recognition he deserves more so because of the division he's in as oppose to his appearance. It's a weak division but he has beaten a killer in Faber twice and Faber is heavily recognized. Unfortunately that doesn't cut it for the casual, ignorant fan.

I love watching Barao fight. I just want to see Barao fight the best and am a firm believer in fighters earning a shot. I don't feel Dillishaw did but w/e, it is what it is. I'll be watching the fight nonetheless and rooting for Barao every step of the way.

So some wrestler out there will take his soul near the end of his career, interdasting.

Back