Dan Zan Ryu and BJJ

EdgarPeter

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied Dan Zan Ryu Jujitsu for a number of years and am now have been studying BJJ for about 3 years. I was wondering if anyone else on this board also has any DZR experience and what you think of the ground aspect of the art?
I was never a fan of the major kata offered in DZR but i did get a solid foot hold in Judo throws and some ground techniques (triangle, lapel chokes, head and arm choke, and armbars). I also found the lack of randori to be upsetting.

Last edited:
Didn't you ask this same question a week or two ago? Most people aren't going to have much experience with an upstart MA...

Didn't you ask this same question a week or two ago? Most people aren't going to have much experience with an upstart MA...

upstart ma? i'm pretty sure it was founded in 1925. not an upstart in any sense of the word.

I have a little bit of experience with DZR. My Sensei was pretty legit on the ground, although probably wouldn't be too much of a challenge for a high level BJJ guy. However, I really liked the judo and aikido elements to it. I think it's a fun art, but I didn't really get into the kata or the massages that some do.

Back