Dan Mosby Tribute (RIP)

Minowafanatic

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
⁓ Bill Beaulieu

IkcT09.jpg

A tribute to the late great glove maker, Dan Mosby of Flores "old school" gloves

Danny was the nephew of Ray Flores, a pro referee and west cost glove maker who supplied all the fight gloves worn in championship bouts of the 50's and 60's. Sugar "Ray" Robinson, Gene Fullmer, Carl "Bobo" Olson, even Sonny Liston wore Flores gloves. Ray would later say that the Liston gloves were the largest he ever made.

srrcbo.jpg

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Carl "Bobo" Olson
Middleweight Championship of the World
May 18 1956, Wrigley Field, Los Angeles, Ca.
-- Fought in Flores gloves

After uncle Ray's passing, Dan took over and continued the legacy. I was very fortunate to know, honor and gain pleasure in being accepted as a friend to Dan. He made countless pair of gloves, some with my label attached over a dozen or so years. Whenever I'd open the latest carton, I'd call it my new Rembrandt.

VZ4XBO.jpg

ViTRYn.jpg

Danny is gone now, but I am so grateful for the short time and my friendship and association. Many ask me today if there'll ever be another "OLD SCHOOL" style glove. Who knows....maybe.

ZonciR.jpg
gdXaUl.jpg

Awesome thread and pics. Nice to finally see the artist at work. Good to see my left hand featured in there as well. :p

It's a shame no one was able to carry on the Flores name. I love my 8 & 10 oz. Flores gloves made by the late Dan Mosby.

Awesome thread and pics. Nice to finally see the artist at work. Good to see my left hand featured in there as well. :p

It's a shame no one was able to carry on the Flores name. I love my 8 & 10 oz. Flores gloves made by the late Dan Mosby.

Dan made the greatest "Old School" high impact , as he called them, training gloves. When someone would tell him it was time to go modern and that his gloves were too dangerous in today's boxing scheme of things, Dan would simply say, "Then don't Box ".

I was very fortunate to be a friend and associate over the years and would marvel at his latest creation. R I P. Dan Mosby.

A few things ......not really digging the look on some of them. The leather reminds of cheap sofas.
The camel colour BB gloves in that collage look kinda loose , padding wise.
Is it just me or is it how it is ?

What's the difference between old school gloves n new school ?
Obviously I can tell they're different by the look / cut but it'd be nice to hear a more expert opinion on it.

I notice the thumbs are really long.....why ?

Also , I sometimes try on these old school look (probably a bastardized version) Select gloves we have in the gym , just to fart around in.
I gotta say , I do kinda like them . I can do things in them that I can't do with others (namely relating to the wrist action).

What's so dangerous about Dan Mosby's gloves ?
Thumbs and inferior / less modern padding ?

⁓ Bill Beaulieu

IkcT09.jpg

A tribute to the late great glove maker, Dan Mosby of Flores "old school" gloves

Danny was the nephew of Ray Flores, a pro referee and west cost glove maker who supplied all the fight gloves worn in championship bouts of the 50's and 60's. Sugar "Ray" Robinson, Gene Fullmer, Carl "Bobo" Olson, even Sonny Liston wore Flores gloves. Ray would later say that the Liston gloves were the largest he ever made.

srrcbo.jpg

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Carl "Bobo" Olson
Middleweight Championship of the World
May 18 1956, Wrigley Field, Los Angeles, Ca.
-- Fought in Flores gloves

After uncle Ray's passing, Dan took over and continued the legacy. I was very fortunate to know, honor and gain pleasure in being accepted as a friend to Dan. He made countless pair of gloves, some with my label attached over a dozen or so years. Whenever I'd open the latest carton, I'd call it my new Rembrandt.

VZ4XBO.jpg

ViTRYn.jpg

Danny is gone now, but I am so grateful for the short time and my friendship and association. Many ask me today if there'll ever be another "OLD SCHOOL" style glove. Who knows....maybe.

ZonciR.jpg
gdXaUl.jpg
Thank you guys for the tribute to my dad!

Last edited:
The gloves on Robinson and Olson look awesome... I love that look.

I am sympathetic toward Mosby's doctrine of "then don't box."

It's boxing, not ballroom dancing...

@j-boxing

Was just talking to a friend of mine. Getting hit is not supposed to be a pleasant feeling. Defense was better with gloves like Flores because they allowed you to open up your hands, to allow parrying and catching and also better blocking, and because you really didn't want to get hit with the high impact glove. Nowadays, with big nosebar headgear and puffy gloves as standard in most gyms, defense (and boxing for that matter) is so poor technically.

@Will Mosby
Very happy that you've joined the forums! There are many of us that adore your father's work, and some of us are lucky to have a pair. Wondering if you have a collection of equipment made by your father?

Maybe you could sell the naming rights and old patterns to someone like TopBoxer and he could keep it going. Like how Shelby licensed to SuperFormance to keep making official Cobras. Just a thought.

Maybe you could sell the naming rights and old patterns to someone like TopBoxer and he could keep it going. Like how Shelby licensed to SuperFormance to keep making official Cobras. Just a thought.
Bill Beaulieu already gave some patterns to TopBoxer from when Dan Mosby was making gloves for the Beaulieu brand

Back