Dan Inosanto

armtriangle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Dan Inosanto will be at my academy saturday. Its $185 for a 10 hour day... seems kinda steep and long.

i really dont know much about him to be honest, i do mostly gi bjj, but mix in the occasional no-gi class. i think the class is for instructors, but mine asked me if i wanted to come

what do you guys know? is it worth it?

Does your academy teach kali/jkd also?

I guess it depends on what you want from a MA seminar. If you're looking for something that would primarily improve you gi and no gi jiu jitsu, I'd say don't go. He's amazing, but he won't teach stuff you'll want, I don't think.

FYI, as a former kali/jkd student, I have the ultimate respect for Guru Dan. I simply answered the question in the context of what the TS says are his interests.

yeah they have a kali class, no JKD specifically though. we do csw, bjj, vale tudo, and a kali class. thanks

its more that he's old and i dont know how much longer he'll be around thing. Thats why i threw in my interests, im not really sure what style he teaches. i have done a some muy thai, but i really prefer grappling to striking or mma. i just didnt know how applicable his stuff is and if it has any good crosssover appeal.

thanks

At the Inosanto seminars I have been to, the focus was mostly on Kali weapons.

Inosanto is very skilled in a lot of martial arts, but he has the most interest and skill in weapons. Therefore, his seminars usually reflect this.

If you would be unhappy working with the stick and the knife for a big chunk of that time, then the seminar probably isn't what you are looking for.

That's only $ 18.50 per hour for an opportunity to train under/with a legend.

I am pretty sure he is a black belt in BJJ as well.

Dan is a legend. You will be amazed by the stand up close in work he can do, the trapping and striking.

That's only $ 18.50 per hour for an opportunity to train under/with a legend.

I am pretty sure he is a black belt in BJJ as well.

thats sort of my thinking... but then again, i would be bored and underprepared to do a kali workshop. my instructor just mentioned it in passing to me, and it never occured to me that it would be weopons defense stuff for a big chunk of it. i know he teaches machado jj too, and some various JKD concepts, whic will be a nice change of pace. im really not into kali or weapons training though.

i guess when i think about it, i just want to meet and train with a legend. though im sure i would pick up some good stuff.

i guess i shoudl just ask my instructor for more detail.

yeah they have a kali class, no JKD specifically though. we do csw, bjj, vale tudo, and a kali class. thanks

its more that he's old and i dont know how much longer he'll be around thing. Thats why i threw in my interests, im not really sure what style he teaches. i have done a some muy thai, but i really prefer grappling to striking or mma. i just didnt know how applicable his stuff is and if it has any good crosssover appeal.

thanks

Guro Dan will teach whatever art (of all the arts that he teaches) the host asks him to. So if he asks him to do some muay thai, he will do it. If he wants JKD, he will do that. He is a black belt under Rigan Machado, so he can teach BJJ. He also teaches shooto, so he can do that. And CSW, which is Erik Paulson's mix of grappling styles.

Hope that helps. I personally wouldn't miss it, the guy is amazing.

Guro Dan will teach whatever art (of all the arts that he teaches) the host asks him to. So if he asks him to do some muay thai, he will do it. If he wants JKD, he will do that. He is a black belt under Rigan Machado, so he can teach BJJ. He also teaches shooto, so he can do that. And CSW, which is Erik Paulson's mix of grappling styles.

Hope that helps. I personally wouldn't miss it, the guy is amazing.

cool, i will have to find out more.

he mentioned it during a CSW class, which is why i assumed it would be more that avenue. our bjj affiliation is something else though (not machado).

I wouldn't pass it up. I would go just to hear his philosophies on fighting in general.

definitely go. Dan Inosantos System is probably the best self-defense system ever put together. as o yet. mine will be better, but you have to wait like 40 years for that ;)

definitely go. Dan Inosantos System is probably the best self-defense system ever put together. as o yet. mine will be better, but you have to wait like 40 years for that ;)

Back