Dan Inosanto still at it

Your intentions along with the others on this thread are not have an open conversation on my comments but rather to attack me personally. Why should I add fuel to the fire? I have no problems responding to posts regarding BJJ.

Obviously your basis for saying, you don't know what your talking about" is your bias feelings toward Mr. Inosanto.

The question about your background is relevant. You are saying that Dan Inosanto does not deserve his rank.

In BJJ, it is commonly accepted that black belts are normally in charge of making decisions concerning rank. The Machados are black belts. They have made the decision to award Dan Inosanto a black belt.

If you are going to question that, you had better be an accomplished black belt on par with the Machados. Otherwise, why do you think that you suddenly have the authority to make the decision that their black belt is really barely a blue belt? Especially after a brief internet clip of a private lesson.

Fact is, you don't have any authority or right to do such a thing. That's why people are angry at you.

And you wonder why people are insulting you. You don't think you started with an insult by calling Dan Inosanto, a legitimate Machado black belt, barely a blue belt? Any black belt would be extremely insulted if you called their skills less than blue belt.

The fact that you don't even realize what an insult that is leads me to believe that your training background is not very substantial. Especially since you repeatedly refuse to state anything specific in regards to your training.

I understand the criticism that he doesn't look like a black belt rolling.

But neither does Helio, who if anything looks substantially worse. At age 73, you're never going to look as smooth and athletic as a 25 year old blue belt.

He's been training consistently for over 10 years, and is rolling against a 5th degree black belt. It doesn't trouble me that an older guy can get his belt with that kind of commitment.

Also I wouldn't read anything into John telling him to go for the choke to set up the armbar. I've seen John roll against BJ Penn and tell him the same kind of simple things, just generic tactical advice -- raise your head, bring your hip up, go for the choke. It's a private lesson, and he's going to give advice all throughout. Sometimes that advice is really basic. So what?

If you step back and think of him as a 73 year old guy, he's rolling extremely well.

i would listend to Machado telling me the simplest things, the kind of things you learn on your first day of BJJ ANY DAY and everyday. in fact, i would want him to teach me nothing but the most basic, fundamental things he knows.

grdstorm11, i think your ego is preventing you from seeing other people's point. and the fact that just about everyone's calling you out kick started your self defense mechanism.

posting something for the sake of starting an argument is one of the definition of trolling. if you can't back up what you said, than you deserve everything coming to you.

you have insulted two of the most respect names in martial arts in one bold statement...

1)Inosanto is not worthy of a blackbelt that he's earned, not only that, you claimed he is not even as good as a blue belt...so basically, that makes him a white belt. You just called someone who's studied the art for about a decade a complete noob.

2.) you claimed John Machado gave a white belt a black belt...he sold Inosanto a black belt. that's an insult to both of those guys.

and all that came about because you saw a clip of Inosanto, asked for advise from one of the best BJJ blackbelt in the world. shit, nobody should ever ask a question again. I mean, fuck being humble and have an openmind, right? In judo, it's said you are ready to start learning judo when you received your black belt...but not grdstorm11, when you are a blackbelt, you ask no questions, you don't need to learn anymore, there is no improvement needed.

opinions are like assholes, don't be an asshole.

I believe he trained mostly under Rigan, but I could be wrong.

Either way, he is freakin' 73 years old! Some people have trouble remembering their own name at that age.

This is a backwards argument. A single poster is narrow in his view of basic tech and the depth it involves. That is all. He can go to class and learn different when a higher belt taps him by using basic tech. Stop responding to this guy.

no offense to Guru Inosanto but he looks barely a blue belt let alone a BB.
Idiots..I wonder if you even are in BJJ or another Keyboard Warrior???

Back to subject Dan is the man at 73 more props to him rolling that smoothly I bet If Bruce Lee where still alive hed make him really Proud..

And Maybe if Bruce where still alive as well As Brandon we could have seen them roll like that :icon_chee

If was surprised. He is very smooth. At first I tought same, that he is not black belt level for sure, Machado was giving him some basic advice, but more I watch that video I see how Inosanto is smooth for his age. Just look at transition at 1:06, that spin after seep, and for example taht armbar in combination with cross choke, at 2:08, I mean he is 73-74 years old! and 3:03 he has good hip movements

I've met Guru Dan, and I've rolled with people taught BJJ/grappling by him. The people he taught were good,and good teachers. While it's not everything, the quality of students certainly says something about the quality of an instructor.

I did see Guru Dan do stick and knife work, and some striking--pretty amazing. I hope I'm in half the shape he's in when I'm in my 70s. That guy can do more dips than I can.

This argument really is hilarious. Thinking that Dan Inosanto isn't a black belt in BJJ just shows complete ignorance.

He has literally spent his entire life learning, studying and living martial arts. He has the most intimate knowledge of so many systems and has been grappling since the 1970's doing Filipino Dumog, Judo, Shooto, Wrestling etc etc. From what I remember reading he hooked up with the Machados in around 92/93 and he has been a BJJ black belt for over 3 years. Why is it so hard to believe that someone who is already a master of many arts with a solid grounding in grappling could become a blackbelt in 10 years taking privates with the Machado family?

At least two of his most famous instructors gained their BJJ black belts after Dan (Erik Paulson - Machado 2006 and Rick Young - Mauricio Gomes 2005) and he has had a big influence on Matt Thornton, BJJ black belt who founded SBGi.

The fact is, even if I was a black belt and John Machado pointed something basic out to me, I would bloody well pay attention. The reason why he's considered a master is because he notices these little details better than anyone. The fact that Guru Dan reacted in that way just shows how humble he is and how eager he is to learn.

Its annoying to me personally when people show blatant disrespect to one of the true pioneers of martial arts and one of the most respectful people in the community, if not the world.

What points?

The argument goes like this:

grdstorm11: "Dan Inosanto is barely a blue belt."
Everyone: "Why do you think that?"
grdstorm11: "Because he is asking for tips on the basics."
Everyone: "Even a black belt would need to refine his basics."
grdstorm11: "Well in my opinion, he is no black belt."
Everyone: "What qualifies you to give that opinion?"
grdstorm11: No answer other than training for a "number of years."
Everyone: "So you are saying that you know better than the Machados about promotions?"
grdstorm11: "In this case, yes."
Everyone: "So you are saying that the Machados sold a belt to him?"
grdstorm11: "Yes, they had an incentive to sell black belts to him and Chuck Norris."
Everyone: "Why do you think their black belts are illegitimate again?"
grdstorm11: "My personal experience."
Everyone: "Please state the personal experience that makes you more qualified than the Machados."
grdstorm11: No response.
(Loop repeatedly)

This is guy is very stubborn and won't back down. I'll give him that.

But that doesn't mean he has any real point. This is the same as a guy repeatedly stating that the earth is flat. At some point, you just have to call him a moron and move on.

If you go back and read his comments you will find that they are true depending on how you look at it.

In my opinion grdstorm11 is right he doesnt look like a black belt but thats because hes in his 70s and hes bloody smooth. You are right as well he does deserve a black belt after training so many years, but grdstorm11 is saying that he is not black belt level which is also true in my opinion.

The argument then becomes on what a black belt is and different people have different views on that.

Everyone is pretty much using ad hominem attacks at least grdstorm11 is trying to put up some points. If you need to be on an equal level of the Machados to judge someones skill then hardly anyone can judge people.

On a related note, isnt Chuck Norris an honorary black belt?

If you go back and read his comments you will find that they are true depending on how you look at it.

In my opinion grdstorm11 is right he doesnt look like a black belt but thats because hes in his 70s and hes bloody smooth. You are right as well he does deserve a black belt after training so many years, but grdstorm11 is saying that he is not black belt level which is also true in my opinion.

The argument then becomes on what a black belt is and different people have different views on that.

Everyone is pretty much using ad hominem attacks at least grdstorm11 is trying to put up some points. If you need to be on an equal level of the Machados to judge someones skill then hardly anyone can judge people.

On a related note, isnt Chuck Norris an honorary black belt?

I thought that Chuck was a purple or brown? I think he too trains with the Machados (hence they were on Walker).

Well if Al Bundy's a BB....

That's a cool vid. Don't see many 73 year old going from the omoplata to a foot sweep. Liked they way he took the back off the scissor sweep at 1:00.

I wonder who'd win between him and Helio?

Rickson by arm bar.

If you need to be on an equal level of the Machados to judge someones skill then hardly anyone can judge people.

That is exactly the point though. There are not many people who are qualified to judge another's rank in BJJ.

In BJJ, it is generally accepted that black belts are the ones who judge rank whenever possible. There is not an incredible number of black belts out there, and that is intended. I do agree that there are special circumstances where it's not possible for a black belt to promote and therefore a brown belt or purple belt will make the promotion. However, those cases are specifically only for when black belts aren't able to do it personally. Whenever possible, a black belt determines a person's rank in BJJ.

The other thing in BJJ is that not even a black belt has the authority to determine that another black belt's student is undeserving of his rank. Different black belts may have different standards for their own students, but none of them have the authority to call another one's promotion illegitimate.

So the fact is, there aren't that many people out there who are qualified to judge a person's rank in BJJ. I find it ridiculous that this guy thinks that somehow now he is qualified to determine that Dan Inosanto is not a black belt based on a short internet video clip of a private lesson. I don't think even the most veteran BJJ black belts would have that right, let alone some guy who has barely any training.

Random people can't just evaluate rank in BJJ. That's not how we do things.

This argument really is hilarious. Thinking that Dan Inosanto isn't a black belt in BJJ just shows complete ignorance.

He has literally spent his entire life learning, studying and living martial arts. He has the most intimate knowledge of so many systems and has been grappling since the 1970's doing Filipino Dumog, Judo, Shooto, Wrestling etc etc. From what I remember reading he hooked up with the Machados in around 92/93 and he has been a BJJ black belt for over 3 years. Why is it so hard to believe that someone who is already a master of many arts with a solid grounding in grappling could become a blackbelt in 10 years taking privates with the Machado family?

At least two of his most famous instructors gained their BJJ black belts after Dan (Erik Paulson - Machado 2006 and Rick Young - Mauricio Gomes 2005) and he has had a big influence on Matt Thornton, BJJ black belt who founded SBGi.

The fact is, even if I was a black belt and John Machado pointed something basic out to me, I would bloody well pay attention. The reason why he's considered a master is because he notices these little details better than anyone. The fact that Guru Dan reacted in that way just shows how humble he is and how eager he is to learn.

Its annoying to me personally when people show blatant disrespect to one of the true pioneers of martial arts and one of the most respectful people in the community, if not the world.

End of thread.

Random people can't just evaluate rank in BJJ. That's not how we do things.

Let it go already LOL.

No one is evaluating his black belt, he was given his black belt thats the end of it. There is nothing anyone can do to change that nor does anyone care to.

I am not disputing that Dan should wear a blue belt, I could give a shit. Its politics to me. There are a ton of people nowadays who are not really black belts that wear black belts. Politics.

Let it go already LOL.

No one is evaluating his black belt, he was given his black belt thats the end of it. There is nothing anyone can do to change that nor does anyone care to.

I am not disputing that Dan should wear a blue belt, I could give a shit. Its politics to me. There are a ton of people nowadays who are not really black belts that wear black belts. Politics.

He earned his black belt, he wasn't just given it. The one bringing politics into the discussion is you.

He earned his black belt, he wasn't just given it. The one bringing politics into the discussion is you.

how do you know that? from the clip it is certainly unclear. Anything else?

why not try an intelligent response rather than attacking me.

how do you know that? from the clip it is certainly unclear. Anything else?

why not try an intelligent response rather than attacking me.

The clip doesn't support your accusations either. It was a training match, not competition rolling. My post was to your own standards of logic. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Back