Dan Inosanto still at it

Looks like all the brain dead guys came out for this thread.

Do you realize that Inosanto has been training with the Machados for more than ten years? They gave him his black belt, and every single brother in that family stands behind it.

To say that he is less than a blue belt is stating that the Machados know nothing about BJJ. You are calling them McDojo belt salesmen.

Do you really want to make that accusation? Would you say that to their face?

Please enlighten me.

IMHO and through personal experience, I have seen individuals being promoted by the Machados who certainly were not deserving of being a black belt. Since these are private conversations with people whom I do not wish to mention, take it for what you will.

Wow, not really trying to start fights here but I guess I'll have to answer Mr. Star struck.

I made no mention of Mr. Inosanto having to dominate his instuctor or anyone else. I understand it is a private lesson however the details which John Machado are going over are things that a high level BJJ practicioner SHOULD know.

I agree he looks great at 73, amazing even. At 73 years of age, I doubt he would do well against a good purple due to age however that is not the point here. In Mr. Inosanto's case, he should be evaluated for his black belt for not only performance but knowledge and understanding of the game.

For instance, take another 70+ year old man that is up for a black belt promotion or has been a black belt for sometime. More than likely he would not be judged based upon performance due to the fact that his body will MOST likely not allow him to compete with younger stronger guys. Instead he would more than likely be evaluated on technical knowledge and understanding of the game. Even though he cannot compete against others due to his age, his knowledge of the art should be on par with other black belts of any age.

Now coming back to my original comment... John Machado is pointing out details in which a white to blue belt is starting to learn, not something a black belt should have to be shown.

So you're saying John Machado awarded a BJJ black belt to a guy who ought to be a white/blue belt?

I'm just trying to clarify here, but that seems to be exactly what you are saying.

Again, what makes you think you are more qualified than John Machado to make that determination? You didn't answer that part.

So you're saying John Machado awarded a BJJ black belt to a guy who ought to be a white/blue belt?

I'm just trying to clarify here, but that seems to be exactly what you are saying.

Again, what makes you think you are more qualified than John Machado to make that determination? You didn't answer that part.

Just because I am not a black belt means I can't determine BJJ skill???

I think you are taking this all too personal. Why don't you watch the clip again, I was just watching it and about midway Dan is playing closed guard. John instructs Dan to "go for the choke... go for the choke to set up an armbar." Mr. Inosanto genuinely seemed like it was some sort of revelation. I am sure he already knew the principal of chaining techniques however that is certainly something should be second nature to a black belt.

You are telling me that is not something a black belt should know already?

IMHO and through personal experience, I have seen individuals being promoted by the Machados who certainly were not deserving of being a black belt. Since these are private conversations with people whom I do not wish to mention, take it for what you will.

Okay, so I guess you, a guy who won't even say what his BJJ experience is, don't think the Machados give out legitimate belts. You have had private conservations with other mysterious people who also seem to feel this way.

Thanks for the heads up. If I run into any of the Machados again, I'll make sure I let them know that this guy named "grdstorm11" thinks they are phony.

Okay, so I guess you, a guy who won't even say what his BJJ experience is, don't think the Machados give out legitimate belts. You have had private conservations with other mysterious people who also seem to feel this way.

Thanks for the heads up. If I run into any of the Machados again, I'll make sure I let them know that this guy named "grdstorm11" thinks they are phony.

If you think that will win you some brownie points then by all means go ahead :icon_chee

Another point... Balto if you don't honestly see how it would benefit the Machados to promote the likes of Mr. Inosanto and Mr. Norris to Black Belt then you are really brainwashed.

Mr. Inosanto is a elderly man, who is ever going to challenge or even care if his skill level is on par with other black belts half his age. Anyone can chalk it up to, "oh yeah... hes an old man... but he can still move!"

Now I am sure he has taken MANY MANY private lessons with the Machados. There is very little risk involved in giving out a black belt to Mr. Inosanto.

What's your belt rank in BJJ that gives you the right to tell the Machados who truly deserves rank and who doesn't? How many years have you trained?

Until you can answer that, I'm done responding. This is seriously too stupid for the effort I'm putting into it.

YES

That's why black belts generally promote when possible.

Right... FOR EXAMPLE, what if a person was a purple belt but smashes numerous black belts... Does said person not have the right to an opinion on skill level?

Besides all of that, you are apparently not looking at bigger picture. I have given examples and such to explain my initial comments. All you are doing is perpetuating an argument without looking at the topic which is the clip.

What's your belt rank in BJJ that gives you the right to tell the Machados who truly deserves rank and who doesn't? How many years have you trained?

Until you can answer that, I'm done responding. This is seriously too stupid for the effort I'm putting into it.

So concerned with ranks... LOL I have been training for a number of years however I was contemplating on whether or not humor you and give you what you ask for... I've decided its pointless since it seems your whole arguement is based on something completely off topic.

Look at my other posts (specifically the examples) and make some intelligent comments on that. We can have a conversation about what constitutes a technical Black Belt or you can bitch about how I am not qualified to question the Machados.

Its really almost TMA like...

Right... FOR EXAMPLE, what if a person was a purple belt but smashes numerous black belts... Does said person not have the right to an opinion on skill level?

Not that I'm getting involved in this but... why would a purple be smashing numerous black belts... wouldn't that kind of mean that they should be promoted to black belt... I mean even at the time where they smashed ONE black belt surely they would be at least considered for promotion to brown... Or something...

I watched the clip. I read your examples. I still don't know how you could ever come to that conclusion. He looks to me like a 70+ year old black belt taking a private lesson from another black belt.

If you can't believe that a guy who has taken private lessons with the Machados for more than a decade (and has 50+ years of general martial arts experience) is black belt level, I don't know what else I can say. I think that stands for itself. The technique on the video was fine.

I'm one of the least TMA guys out there. I'm just questioning your training because I honestly have absolutely no idea how you could come to your conclusion other than being completely ignorant about BJJ.

Not that I'm getting involved in this but... why would a purple be smashing numerous black belts... wouldn't that kind of mean that they should be promoted to black belt... I mean even at the time where they smashed ONE black belt surely they would be at least considered for promotion to brown... Or something...

not neccessarily. Every academy/instructor has different criteria for promotion.

For instance, many high level purple belts whom compete at the highest level would probably be on par or beat many black belts who do not compete and only practice for recreation. Look at Andre Galvao before he was black... or Ryan Hall... or Mike Fowler... or Kron Gracie.

So going on that... what constitutes a black belt? Not everyone can be on the same level as high level athletes. At the bare minimum, you have to evaluate a black belts technical knowledge and overall awareness of the game. That is my opinion anyway.

I watched the clip. I read your examples. I still don't know how you could ever come to that conclusion. He looks to me like a 70+ year old black belt taking a private lesson from another black belt.

If you can't believe that a guy who has taken private lessons with the Machados for more than a decade (and has 50+ years of general martial arts experience) is black belt level, I don't know what else I can say. I think that stands for itself. The technique on the video was fine.

I'm one of the least TMA guys out there. I'm just questioning your training because I honestly have absolutely no idea how you could come to your conclusion other than being completely ignorant about BJJ.

Your claim that I am completely ignorant of BJJ shows your blindness and your will to just "go with the crowd."

Balto, lets just agree to disagree. I really don't want to argue, I have no problem with having a conversation however just taking private lessons and training with the Machados doesn't mean your a black belt.

Food for though... If you were one of the Machado Brothers and you had a legend in Martial Arts Guru Dan Inosanto taking many private lessons with you (maybe a couple times a week for a few years) and also promoting your system of jiujitsu, would you not feel any pressure to give out a black belt?

not neccessarily. Every academy/instructor has different criteria for promotion.

For instance, many high level purple belts whom compete at the highest level would probably be on par or beat many black belts who do not compete and only practice for recreation. Look at Andre Galvao before he was black... or Ryan Hall... or Mike Fowler... or Kron Gracie.

So going on that... what constitutes a black belt? Not everyone can be on the same level as high level athletes. At the bare minimum, you have to evaluate a black belts technical knowledge and overall awareness of the game. That is my opinion anyway.

Your claim that I am completely ignorant of BJJ shows your blindness and your will to just "go with the crowd."

Balto, lets just agree to disagree. I really don't want to argue, I have no problem with having a conversation however just taking private lessons and training with the Machados doesn't mean your a black belt.

Food for though... If you were one of the Machado Brothers and you had a legend in Martial Arts Guru Dan Inosanto taking many private lessons with you (maybe a couple times a week for a few years) and also promoting your system of jiujitsu, would you not feel any pressure to give out a black belt?

Fine. We can agree to disagree.

I will agree with almost everyone in the BJJ community.

You can agree with the rest of your anonymous friends who have trained a "number of years" with no stated rank, affiliation, instructor, or anything.

I would suggest that if you plan on posting anything else here, you at least make a new account. It's going to be very hard for anyone to take you seriously after this thread.

LOL whatever guys, my opinion is that Mr. Inosanto does not look anywhere near black belt level due to his technical knowledge. Its amazing how that offends so many people.

So concerned with ranks... LOL I have been training for a number of years however I was contemplating on whether or not humor you and give you what you ask for... I've decided its pointless since it seems your whole arguement is based on something completely off topic.

Look at my other posts (specifically the examples) and make some intelligent comments on that. We can have a conversation about what constitutes a technical Black Belt or you can bitch about how I am not qualified to question the Machados.

Its really almost TMA like...

You're an idiot...

LOL whatever guys, my opinion is that Mr. Inosanto does not look anywhere near black belt level due to his technical knowledge. Its amazing how that offends so many people.

Calling the Machados belt salesmen is offensive??? What a surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back