Dan Inosanto still at it

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Chinaboxer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

2. grdstorm11

grdstorm11 Blue Belt

no offense to Guru Inosanto but he looks barely a blue belt let alone a BB.

3. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

That's a cool vid. Don't see many 73 year old going from the omoplata to a foot sweep. Liked they way he took the back off the scissor sweep at 1:00.

I wonder who'd win between him and Helio?

4. J Storm**

J Storm** Banned Banned

i just hope i remember my name when i'm 70 and not pissing through a tube

5. Sherdog_Mutt

Sherdog_Mutt Purple Belt

Yet another reason why I love BJJ. I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

6. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I strongly disagree.

7. TREE_TRUNK

TREE_TRUNK Orange Belt

thats great to see

8. kid dynamite

kid dynamite STOP! Bottom Brick!

you must look like a white belt.

9. grdstorm11

grdstorm11 Blue Belt

He is getting basic details that a white/blue belt would get. As a blackbelt, he should already know these details to basic escapes/transitions.

Please don't let the star power blind you.

10. jp1371

jp1371 White Belt

thats my dad's instructor/ mentor he is super talented and definatly not a blue belt and would whip a blue belt in a match probably even to this day at his age

this is a training video not a match what do you want it to look like

11. TexasJKD

TexasJKD White Belt

Dan is still the man indeed. Probably more knowledge of martial arts than anyone else. Period.

12. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

That's right.

At 73 he should still be rolling and tapping all the blues/purples and browns because he is teh blackbelt.

Having a black belt gives you mystical powers so that at 73 years and older you still have the strength, flexibility and resistance to injury you had when you first were handed that black belt at 30 (or whatever)

F%&c mate, most 73yos are living in Florida and play bingo and lawn-bowls.

Jeez - what an idiotic comment.

13. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

To be honest, your post is probably one of the stupidest things I've read on Sherdog in a long time. That's saying something.

He's asking for clarification from his instructor John Machado in a private lesson. There is nothing wrong with that. The reason he is a black belt is because despite his lifetime of martial arts experience, he keeps an open mind and is always hungry to improve. Also, the fact that he has been training BJJ with the Machados for more than a decade probably has something to do with it too.

The guy is more than 70 years old in the video. He is taking a private lesson with John Machado. Did you honestly expect him to be explosive and dominate the match?

He looks smooth on the mat to me. What do you think Helio rolling would look like? These guys are old. They aren't going to be smashing people on the mat.

To say Dan Inosanto is barely a blue belt is stupidity beyond belief. The man has been training with the Machados since longer than you likely knew BJJ even existed.

What's your rank in BJJ that makes you qualified to say that a guy with 10+ years of training and a black belt from the Machados is barely a blue belt?

I'm interested to hear your answer, although I think I can already guess the response -- you're a white belt talking completely out of your ass.

14. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

i strongly agree....

15. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Looks like all the brain dead guys came out for this thread.

Do you realize that Inosanto has been training with the Machados for more than ten years? They gave him his black belt, and every single brother in that family stands behind it.

To say that he is less than a blue belt is stating that the Machados know nothing about BJJ. You are calling them McDojo belt salesmen.

Do you really want to make that accusation? Would you say that to their face?

Please enlighten me.

16. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

APRIL FOOLS!!!

17. grdstorm11

grdstorm11 Blue Belt

Wow, not really trying to start fights here but I guess I'll have to answer Mr. Star struck.

I made no mention of Mr. Inosanto having to dominate his instuctor or anyone else. I understand it is a private lesson however the details which John Machado are going over are things that a high level BJJ practicioner SHOULD know.

I agree he looks great at 73, amazing even. At 73 years of age, I doubt he would do well against a good purple due to age however that is not the point here. In Mr. Inosanto's case, he should be evaluated for his black belt for not only performance but knowledge and understanding of the game.

For instance, take another 70+ year old man that is up for a black belt promotion or has been a black belt for sometime. More than likely he would not be judged based upon performance due to the fact that his body will MOST likely not allow him to compete with younger stronger guys. Instead he would more than likely be evaluated on technical knowledge and understanding of the game. Even though he cannot compete against others due to his age, his knowledge of the art should be on par with other black belts of any age.

Now coming back to my original comment... John Machado is pointing out details in which a white to blue belt is starting to learn, not something a black belt should have to be shown.

18. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Lol.

I had a feeling you might be, but after the first guy...

19. Jiu Jitsuka

Jiu Jitsuka A Flight And A Crash

[​IMG]

20. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

I just used it as a setup... LOL!