Dan Hooker says Paul Felder fight personal: 'I'm going to fold that boy like a deckchair'

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

For Dan Hooker, his next fight has gotten personal.

Hooker (19-8 MMA, 9-4 UFC) will headline his first UFC show, a five-round lightweight bout vs. Paul Felder (17-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC on ESPN+ 26 in his home country of New Zealand.

The two engaged in a very intense face-off last month in Auckland, and Felder had some words to say about their upcoming encounter in a recent interview with MMA Junkie.

Among them, Felder mentioned that he plans on knocking Hooker out in front of all his friends and family, and naturally, “The Hangman” didn’t take too well to that. He felt the fight was going to sell out regardless, considering the implications of the matchup in the division.

“It’s definitely crossed that line for me,” Hooker told MMA Junkie. “I didn’t feel that this fight needed any of that. I didn’t feel like this fight needed anything added to it, you know? We’re two of the best, we’re both just brawlers, we love to come in there and throw down.”

“I don’t think it was necessary, but if he wants to start throwing those things out there, I’m not going to sit back and take it. I’m going to retaliate, I’m going to bring the heat and yeah, it’s definitely crossed the line for me, gone into a very personal nature.”

I’m going to fold that boy like a deckchair, I promise you,

I think it’s going to be a fast start. Whether it happens in the first or the fifth, I do not care. It’s up to him. It’s when he wants to take those risks, but I’m chinning that boy, I promise.”

The City Kickboxing fighter insists he loves the idea of having a full five rounds to work.

“My style is built around that,” Hooker said. “I don’t hold guys on the ground just to score points. I don’t throw my strikes to score points. I try to take as little damage as possible while taking the guy out as violently as possible, so I would prefer no time limit. So 10 minutes or an extra 25 minutes, that suits me perfectly. That’s just more time for me. I don’t need to touch you once to take you out, so if you give me an extra 10 minutes, woo wee, I’m going to take my time.”

“It gets me a shot at the top-five, without a shadow of doubt,” Hooker said. “We’ve got the Tony-Khabib fight coming up. (Justin) Gaethje’s waiting in the wings; he looks like he’s going to be the next shot or Conor (McGregor). Conor’s on a no-fight win streak at the moment, Gaethje’s on a three-fight win streak. Win over Felder puts me on a three-fight win streak, so that puts me in the same position as Gaethje, so either we fight, or he gets out of my way.”

“Main event, finish over Felder, that puts me in the top-five position. That gives me a crack at one of those big-name guys, 100 percent.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...ir-ufc-auckland/amp?__twitter_impression=true

1. Yeah it probably needed that extra hype. Nobody is looking at this fight thinking oh man, gotta watch it.
2. You can’t say you’re two of the best, then in the same breath say we’re just brawlers. Lol

Like a deckchair? I always thought that saying was like an ol'accordion

This is just hyping it up but regardless it will be a good fight from two guys who love to throw down. Looking forward to it.

Favoring Dan in this one, hard to say with Barboza being their common opponent.

Both of them ducked Makachaev. No interest in this fight

Felder wins easily though

sounds like how he was folded against Barboza

Nelmark is the only person I can think of that ever literally got folded lol

Muh7YYP.jpg

1. Yeah it probably needed that extra hype. Nobody is looking at this fight thinking oh man, gotta watch it.
2. You can’t say you’re two of the best, then in the same breath say we’re just brawlers. Lol
Sorry but I gotta disagree. IMO this is a must watch fight, guaranteed fireworks and possible FOTY. Should be a war.

Hopefully he's right and Felder gets his jaw cracked so we don't have to hear him talk about this fight every time he commentates

Sorry but I gotta disagree. IMO this is a must watch fight, guaranteed fireworks and possible FOTY. Should be a war.

that’s cool. You could be right.

This is definitely a must watch fight for me

For Dan Hooker, his next fight has gotten personal.

Hooker (19-8 MMA, 9-4 UFC) will headline his first UFC show, a five-round lightweight bout vs. Paul Felder (17-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC on ESPN+ 26 in his home country of New Zealand.

The two engaged in a very intense face-off last month in Auckland, and Felder had some words to say about their upcoming encounter in a recent interview with MMA Junkie.

Among them, Felder mentioned that he plans on knocking Hooker out in front of all his friends and family, and naturally, “The Hangman” didn’t take too well to that. He felt the fight was going to sell out regardless, considering the implications of the matchup in the division.

“It’s definitely crossed that line for me,” Hooker told MMA Junkie. “I didn’t feel that this fight needed any of that. I didn’t feel like this fight needed anything added to it, you know? We’re two of the best, we’re both just brawlers, we love to come in there and throw down.”

“I don’t think it was necessary, but if he wants to start throwing those things out there, I’m not going to sit back and take it. I’m going to retaliate, I’m going to bring the heat and yeah, it’s definitely crossed the line for me, gone into a very personal nature.”

I’m going to fold that boy like a deckchair, I promise you,

I think it’s going to be a fast start. Whether it happens in the first or the fifth, I do not care. It’s up to him. It’s when he wants to take those risks, but I’m chinning that boy, I promise.”

The City Kickboxing fighter insists he loves the idea of having a full five rounds to work.

“My style is built around that,” Hooker said. “I don’t hold guys on the ground just to score points. I don’t throw my strikes to score points. I try to take as little damage as possible while taking the guy out as violently as possible, so I would prefer no time limit. So 10 minutes or an extra 25 minutes, that suits me perfectly. That’s just more time for me. I don’t need to touch you once to take you out, so if you give me an extra 10 minutes, woo wee, I’m going to take my time.”

“It gets me a shot at the top-five, without a shadow of doubt,” Hooker said. “We’ve got the Tony-Khabib fight coming up. (Justin) Gaethje’s waiting in the wings; he looks like he’s going to be the next shot or Conor (McGregor). Conor’s on a no-fight win streak at the moment, Gaethje’s on a three-fight win streak. Win over Felder puts me on a three-fight win streak, so that puts me in the same position as Gaethje, so either we fight, or he gets out of my way.”

“Main event, finish over Felder, that puts me in the top-five position. That gives me a crack at one of those big-name guys, 100 percent.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...ir-ufc-auckland/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Fuckin lol

Back