Dan Henderson: Daniel Cormier should have wrestled more against Jon Jones

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dan Henderson talked about the DC vs Jones fight in a recent interview. Here are some of his comments:

"[The biggest surprise was that DC] didn't really attempt too many [takedowns]. The ones he did, I don't know. It seemed like he got in the clinch a couple of times and just kind of pushed off and backed out instead of keeping him there and working on that takedown. I don't know. I think part of that was he ran out of gas at the end of the fight, but he should have been taking him down earlier, I thought. Jones is long and has some good balance. I'm sure it wasn't easy to take him down.

"I thought DC's wrestling would make a difference in that fight and he didn't really utilize it the way he's capable of. Jones did a great job defending it and putting DC on his back a couple of times."

Your thoughts?

captain-hindsight-300x221.jpg

The inside power shots were more effective than his wrestling to me

Wow! Just because DC made Dan look like a little kid in wrestling and couldn't do that against Jones means he didn't try hard enough? I liked Dan better when he didn't talk so much.

I agree with Hendo however that type of thing is harder to improvise when Jon Jones is elbowing the fucking shit out of you every time you tie up.

So basically Jones out wrestled Cormier.

We know that. We saw it happen.

DC couldn't back up all his talk, i truly believed in him, but he didn't even fake the take downs. Let us wait and see if Jones was on the coke fight time or not.

Add DC to the list of wrestlers that say they are going to wrestle and take Jones down and don't do it.

It seemed DC's gameplan was to clinch and hit him with shots on the inside. I'm sure if he really focused on wrestling he could get him down as much as he wanted. Jones showed good takedown defense but it's not like DC really went hard for them like he did against Barnett.

I agree but this is very much a case of easier said than done. Jon Jones was tagging Cormier in the first round which was the round that DC was most aggresive. That was the best Jon Jones looked going backwards in a fight in that first round; he obviously trained for DC's pressure.

Why are people shitting on Hendo for giving an opinion?

'You suck; you felt so weak' -Jones to Cormier after the brawl.

It looked as if DC was gassed or just not strong enough to move Jones. I don't think he had it in him.

Hendo has no idea how hard it is to take down Prophet Jones.

I want to see Hendo try that strategy, dude would get elbowed/kneed/choked to death within 1 round.

Hendo has no idea how hard it is to take down Prophet Jones.

I want to see Hendo try that strategy, dude would get elbowed/kneed/choked to death within 1 round.

I've said for years that Hendo's wrestling was way overrated. He hasn't shown much in the wrestling department since he fought Rampage and Rampage still out-wrestled him. That was over 7 years ago.

Since then he's concentrated on take-down defense, a little kick to the legs and his right hand. That's about it. He's lost to the better wrestlers he's fought. Jake Shields outwrestled him. Machida did too. Heck, even Shogun did in the wrestling portion of their first match. He fought Evans to a split but I think Rashad has also neglected his wrestling game while thinking he's got great standup. Ever since KO'ing Liddell.

Back