Dan Henderson: 16 finishes in 41 fights; GSP: 13 finishes in 27 fights

So what would a finished loss be counted as. You have to separate their wins and losses.

Hendo: 30 wins 16 by finish, 11 losses 4 by finish, I guess you forgot those too.

GSP: 25 wins 13 by finish, 2 losses 2 by finish.

:rolleyes:

so hendo has 41 fights with 21 decisions. 51% of his fights.

Gsp has 27 fights with 12 decisions. 44% of his fights.

7% difference, so not very much.

I was just stating that he had to separate the wins and losses. No fighter, fan, or promoter would lump them together when they're talking about a certain fighter. Unless he has never gone to the judges win or lose, but mainly win.

Well that's fair enough, I disagree but it's different strokes for different folks. So what's the point of this thread though? Since when is there any pissing match between GSP and Hendo? Both guys are legends of the sport already. I just don't see why you're trying to compare these guys wins like this....is Hendo shit if he has a lower finishing % than GSP?

Naw. I'm just being an ass, I guess.

For some reason it really bothers me that Hendo gets so much love around this joint. The guy literally follows his opponents around the ring trying to land the same big bomb and calls that fighting... which is okay in and of itself (different strokes, as you say)... but then to see where people rank the guy among the best fighters of all time...

It just blows my mind, to be honest.

Why dont you do this sh*t with some other guys that are consider the goats too?

Anderson and fedor

Precisely.

Not so very much.

I can live with a differing opinion on this one... but I don't think it's a coincidence that GSP's most respected wins came against guys who made their names before he was the top dog (namely Hughes and Penn).

GSP's competition appears weaker on the surface precicily because it is made up of guys who couldn't beat GSP. Likewise, Hendo's competition appears stronger on first glance at least partly because a number of those guys beat Hendo.

If you go by the rankings of their opponents at the time when the fought, though, GSP has the stronger resume.

I think you have to give to edge to Hendo for facing elite fighters at MW, LHW, and HW if nothing else.

I don't think it's a blowout either way. At the end of the day, they're both future HoFers.

That sure ain't happening in a rematch. Hendo didn't have a good weight cutting day that time, and boy did it show.

Yeah, he had a back injury. Guys are hurt for every fight, but Dan looked terrible that night, seemed like he was hurt.

Naw. I'm just being an ass, I guess.

For some reason it really bothers me that Hendo gets so much love around this joint. The guy literally follows his opponents around the ring trying to land the same big bomb and calls that fighting... which is okay in and of itself (different strokes, as you say)... but then to see where people rank the guy among the best fighters of all time...

It just blows my mind, to be honest.

Really? That's kind of weird, man. It actually bothers you that a pro fighter - a veteran who's faced some of the toughest guys in 3 different weight classes over a long period of the history of the sport - gets love on a message board dedicated to mma?

Why dont you do this sh*t with some other guys that are consider the goats too?

Anderson and fedor

Sure, why not?

I'll even put them in order for you:

1. Fedor: 26 finishes in 39 fights

1. (tie) Anderson: 26 finishes in 39 fights

3. GSP: 13 finishes in 27 fights

4. Hendo: 16 finishes in 41 fights

Really? That's kind of weird, man. It actually bothers you that a pro fighter - a veteran who's faced some of the toughest guys in 3 different weight classes over a long period of the history of the sport - gets love on a message board dedicated to mma?

Yes. Yes it does.

I was just stating that he had to separate the wins and losses. No fighter, fan, or promoter would lump them together when they're talking about a certain fighter. Unless he has never gone to the judges win or lose, but mainly win.

I dont see why. hendo tends to fade and doesn't mount comebacks well. it causes him to lose decisions.

Anderson Silva 78.7% of finishes in 33 wins (5 loses)
Fedor Emelianenko 76.5% of finishes in 34 wins (3 loses)

I dont see why. hendo tends to fade and doesn't mount comebacks well. it causes him to lose decisions.

It also shows durability, as other fighters would've been finished. Anyway, I meant as a positive aspect.

Lumping them together just confuses things really. If you say Hendo has finished 20 of his fights, you have to make sure to mention that 4 of those are losses or people will generally think he's finished 20 people.

If you go by a negative aspect, same thing but with their losses.

This. It's bullshit to count their losses.

Also, "Decision Dan" was because he would win 50/50 decisions, NOT because he would constantly take fights to decision. People need to stop getting that confused.

it worse bullshit to not count their losses.

If you have two fighters the first guys record is 3 wins via finish and 7 wins via decision and the second guy 2 wins via decision and 8 losses via decision who is the better fight finisher?

Why do the losses not count? A fight was started 10 times and one guy finished his opponent 3 times and the other guy 2 times.

it is the stupidest thing in the world to not count losses.

As Kenny Florian said "i finish fights" (not wins), because that is what the fans care about and want to see. Him finish his fights.

A decision doesn't make you a boring fighter either. What the fuck is this shit?

If Dan is held down for 5 rounds, he couldn't get the finish because the other guy was better. It has nothing to do with his finishing rate. Dumb thread.

WTF? you drunk?

So if guys can hold you down, or dance around you, or just out fight and prevent you from ever finishing a fight in your career and you go 0 for all your fights for finishes then that has nothing to do with your finish rate if you lost all those fights?

WTF??

Let's go over some of their top fights competition-wise.

Hendo - Big Nog X2, Fedor, Wand X2, Shogun X2, Anderson, Rampage, Vitor

GSP - Hughes X3, Penn X2, Fitch, Koscheck, Condit, Shields, Hendricks, Serra

I'd agree with him. GSP has been more successful while Hendo has delivered classics while maintaining a respectable record and fighting in more weightclasses.

Came here to post this. Hendo's competition is much more challenging than GSP's.

Added Serra too, because that's another one of his big wins, but the point still stands

Back