Media Dan Hardy Breaks down Usman vs. Covington "Usman's strikings is technically better"

Re-watched a few of Coby's fights, he's so fucking overrated and he's there for the taking - can't punch to save his life and relies on his stamina to fool the judges into giving him later rounds. His fight against Maia was pathetic. His off balance 'punches' had nothing behind them but were thrown in volume.
I totally agree specially in the Maia fight, people keeps overrating it with the whole "Left Maia in a pool of blod" lol in a fight that went to decision like it was some kind of massacre and he was getting hit a lot early on too

They are both technically very similar, but colby has more variaty of strikes and usman has more power

I don't think Usman has the gas tank to pull it off.

<SelenaWow> That's ^^^ really what you banking on that Usman runs out of gas in his 1st title defense against the guy he's wanted before he had any belt..?

You feel like this >>>
tenor.gif

Last edited:
[QUOTE="CannotWin, post: 156754717, member: 308197"]I don't think Usman has the gas tank to pull it off.

<SelenaWow> That's ^^^ really what you banking on that Usman runs out of gas in his 1st title defense against the guy he's wanted before he had any belt..?

You feel like this >>>
tenor.gif
[/QUOTE]

You sound pretty invested in this. If he wins good for Marty but I feel his gas will be an issue.

I really don't see any way for Colby to beat Usman

I agree, Rafael Dos Anos put Colby on his back a good few times and RDA was able to get back to his feet when Colby got him down. So as far as Kamaru taking him down is a forgone conclusion. Will Marty be able to keep him there? Well he certainly out grappled Tyron and kept him there. Plus Kamuru is not pillow fisted as Colby. I think Colby is getting whooped here.
Kamaru is 10 times stronger, he is ragdolling little Colby around and whispering MAGA in his ear as he is molesting him

For those who like cliffs, and the thread only captured 1 point out of a dozen or so.:
  • he's a self promoter, goes about it differently than most (Hardy was being very gracious here)
  • very impressed with the Lawler fight
  • the Lawler fight made him more interested in the Usman fight
  • maybe his self promotion has caused some to undervalue his skills
  • they have similar styles, Usman has more powerful strikes, and is more technical
  • Colby has more hustle, more pressure
  • maybe the best way to beat Usman is pressure, take it to him
  • so the $64,000 question is, can Usman negate the pressure and do damage before succumbing?

Usman doesn’t have a chin . He oversells every time he gets hit
Shouldn’t be an issue here.

Getting hit relatively softly 100x is the issue. And that’s an issue that affects people with and without “good chins”.

Except when Chael hit Silva a few hundred times. Holding Silva down almost won him the fight, but all the pitter patter did was influence the ref, not hurt Silva. An exception to every rule :)

Last edited:
He's wrong. I'm a big Usman fan but Colby has better striking, but less power. Also Usman has better positional ability which might play a factor in the striking, not only the wrestling.
I get what Hardy is trying to say, but Usman's hands are not more technical than Colby's. His positioning and footwork is.

Also I don't see how "pressure" is the key to beating Usman, like Hardy said. I don't get what he means. How are you gonna pressure Usman? Walk forward and get taken down? Countering his takedowns with subs or like Barboza did with Dariush would be a far better gameplan. Usman is so confident in his takedowns that he might leave himself open for a sub.

Comparing Colby to Perry.......funny shit guys.

Love or hate Colby the dude has proving he can hang with the best. What he was able to do to Lawler shows you just how good that guy can be.

He's wrong. I'm a big Usman fan but Colby has better striking, but less power. Also Usman has better positional ability which might play a factor in the striking, not only the wrestling.
I get what Hardy is trying to say, but Usman's hands are not more technical than Colby's. His positioning and footwork is.

Also I don't see how "pressure" is the key to beating Usman, like Hardy said. I don't get what he means. How are you gonna pressure Usman? Walk forward and get taken down? Countering his takedowns with subs or like Barboza did with Dariush would be a far better gameplan. Usman is so confident in his takedowns that he might leave himself open for a sub.
He never said “hands”, you did ;) I certainly count positioning and footwork as “technique”....

But I’m just nitpicking you. I appreciate your more in depth analysis. Cheers. Who are you picking?

Last edited:
Based on what?
Based on his style!

A Viking made him work for takedowns and he was fatigued by the end of that fight.
His mythical gas tank only exists when he is hugging and on top.

Based on his style!

A Viking made him work for takedowns and he was fatigued by the end of that fight.
His mythical gas tank only exists when he is hugging and on top.

Usman has never gassed. 30% Usman dominated Meek on the ground in the last round.

Shouldn’t be an issue here.

Getting hit relatively softly 100x is the issue. And that’s an issue that affects people with and without “good chins”.

Except when Chael hit Silva a few hundred times. Holding Silva down almost won him the fight, but all the pitter patter did was influence the ref, not hurt Silva. An exception to every rule :)
it’s not only that , but if u over sell on strikes it allows for guys to build momentum . Go watch his fights with that Nordic man , and Maia . He has no poker face

Back