Dan Hardy: "As soon as Cowboy level changed and felt that thigh to the head he just quit."

giphy.gif

There's lots of people out there

Cerrone has been around forever, and has been in wars. His attitude is irrelevent. He got kicked in the head after getting his nose busted,,,,it happens. Connor has power, even the haters know that. When Aldo got destroyed in seconds, no one mentioned his attitude, or said he quit.

Oh yeah, its not like he got his nose and orbital bone broke and kicked in the head or anything.

Let's recap. Within 40 seconds ..
1 cerrone ate Conor's thigh trying to avoid the left then
2 attempting to clinch and get his bearings eats a series of shoulder strikes a couple of which were well placed enough to break his nose and orbital
3 now backing up still fighting mind you he throws a head kick which is blocked then returned clean to the side of his face.
4 cerrone is officially toast and eating clean gnp from Conor

The thigh definitely started a chain reaction but he never quit imo, he never had a chance to start. 40 seconds. Several clean strikes to the head. Bad defense or fight IQ? Yeah possibly cerrone has shown that before but wtf does anyone expect? Askren basically dropped dead from the same strike in 6 seconds

you mean as soon as he heard that bank deposit notification go cha-ching he quit

Here's the deal boys and girls: How many fights have you watched where the first strike is ducked and followed by an immediate takedown into a 3 minutes grapple fest that results in nothing? The answer is: A lot of times. It's the cliche way for an MMA bout to start. You know what happens then? People boo. They want a brawl and it immediately turns into a grapplefest(nothing wrong with that IMO, im going by fan reactions).

Cerrone's stated intention was to keep it standing and give an exciting fight. I fully believe Cowboy could have double leg blast Conor right on his back and spent as long as he wanted in top position. But that's not what he wanted to do, so he didn't. And then he paid the price from an elite pressure striker with a nose crushing shoulder strike and from there it was curtains.

Let's recap. Within 40 seconds ..
1 cerrone ate Conor's thigh trying to avoid the left then
2 attempting to clinch and get his bearings eats a series of shoulder strikes a couple of which were well placed enough to break his nose and orbital
3 now backing up still fighting mind you he throws a head kick which is blocked then returned clean to the side of his face.
4 cerrone is officially toast and eating clean gnp from Conor

The thigh definitely started a chain reaction but he never quit imo, he never had a chance to start. 40 seconds. Several clean strikes to the head. Bad defense or fight IQ? Yeah possibly cerrone has shown that before but wtf does anyone expect? Askren basically dropped dead from the same strike in 6 seconds
You’re missing quite a few points.

1.5 - Cerrone seems to go for a single and then backtracks.
1.75 - As soon as he has Conor in the clinch, Cerrone becomes inactive. He pushes Conor forward instead of doing what he usually does in the clinch and land combinations. That’s his signature mark, it’s what he is known for and does best.

giphy.gif

Under no circumstances is it typical of Cerrone to be inactive in the clinch, that shit is his bread and butter. He murked a legit WW in the clinch but somehow couldn’t handle a blown up lightweight? Gumon mang, come down from pixie land

Later in the fight he has Conor in stacked guard and gives up. He was payed to dive

steven a smith already said that. Dan should leave sport talk to the pros

I think he's just terrible early on. Like he needs to get punched to start fighting. Does well if he doesn't get stopped before that.

In 40 seconds, Conor threw a straight left, a knee, a flying knee, 4 shoulder strikes from the clinch, a high kick, and a volley of punches to finish the fight. I doubt Donald thought Conor would dare to be so inefficient with his energy in the first minute of the fight. Conor, however, knew Cerrone was a slow starter and weak against pressure fighters.

You’re missing quite a few points.

1.5 - Cerrone seems to go for a single and then backtracks.
1.75 - As soon as he has Conor in the clinch, Cerrone becomes inactive. He pushes Conor forward instead of doing what he usually does in the clinch and land combinations. That’s his signature mark, it’s what he is known for and does best.

giphy.gif

Under no circumstances is it typical of Cerrone to be inactive in the clinch, that shit is his bread and butter. He murked a legit WW in the clinch but somehow couldn’t handle a blown up lightweight? Gumon mang, come down from pixie land

Later in the fight he has Conor in stacked guard and gives up. He was payed to dive

Post the gif of eddie punching cowboy in the head 10 times in row while he just clinches eating them. It all happened consecutively in 40 seconds. Jarred by the thigh to the dome then a busted nose/orbital then a clean head kick. Then heavy gnp. When was he supposed to get something off?

If someone throws a bomb in the 1st 5 seconds and your initial move is to dive for a td but instead you get caught and eat full impact thigh to the side of your face. So you grab the guy and instead of buying time he breaks your nose and orbital with an obscure low percentage strike then you break off because now you're fucked so again not completely quitting you throw a head kick backing up because you're nose and eye are visibly swelling with every second. It's blocked. You can't breathe or see straight it's been 20 seconds. Now out of the blue instead of the left a head kick smacks the other side of your jaw. Now you're falling and he closes in. When was cowboy or anyone in that sequence supposed to be clear and concise enough to retaliate? Of those 40 seconds, how much was gnp? 10 seconds? I'd say that's about as nasty of a 30 second sequence as you're likely to see

people before the fight "Cowboy is at his best when he is friendly with his opponent"
people after the fight "Cowboy was a real bitch for being friendly with his opponent and was broken right then and there"

fkin sherdog

Wasn't just Sherdog saying this. Literally every UFC fighter I saw predict the fight either picked Cowboy or said it was really hard choice between the two. But after the fight they're all like, "Wow, UFC knew that was gonna happen, Cowboy is washed up...blah blah."

Lost all respect after watching that fight.... you call yourself a fighter after that performance? Looked like an amateur out there.

Lets see if Joe Rogan and Josh Thomson rip on Dan because he pretty much echoed what SAS said.

Or is the pretentious outraged defender of all things MMA act solely reserved for "outsiders" who call it like they see it and don't tow the company line?

Cowboy quit when he decided he was going to only stand.

Conor beats him 10/10 in a fight with just standup.

people before the fight "Cowboy is at his best when he is friendly with his opponent"
people after the fight "Cowboy was a real bitch for being friendly with his opponent and was broken right then and there"

fkin sherdog
Myths.

Cowboy quit when he decided he was going to only stand.

Conor beats him 10/10 in a fight with just standup.
Cowboy quit when he started defending Conor the moment sexual assault questions were raised at the press conference. Weak as fck.

I think that's failry accurate. though to be honest, to me, Cowboy fucking quit before he got into the cage with Conor. The buddy-buddy act was so fucking uncalled for and made him look like a bitch IMO. And I loves me some fucking Cowboy. He should've come into that looking to take Conor's head off, foaming at the fucking mouth. Instead he came in to let himself get dominated and that's exactly what happened.

Hasn't Cowboy generally approached fights this way? That he loves the sport, loves the fight, no ill will but intends to win? He's been pretty consistent in this regard.

I think that's failry accurate. though to be honest, to me, Cowboy fucking quit before he got into the cage with Conor. The buddy-buddy act was so fucking uncalled for and made him look like a bitch IMO. And I loves me some fucking Cowboy. He should've come into that looking to take Conor's head off, foaming at the fucking mouth. Instead he came in to let himself get dominated and that's exactly what happened.

Huh? Cowboy doesn't perform well when he is angry at his opponent. He prefers to be buddy-buddy. It usually results in better performances out of him.

His most agregious mistake was not realizing that Conor would go hard right out of the gate. Perhaps if he were still with Greg Jackson they would've prepared him for that.

Back