Dan Goosen challenges Randy Couture to fight Toney in ring

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by archdeacon99, Aug 17, 2010.

1. archdeacon99

archdeacon99 White Belt

Dan Goosen challenges Randy Couture to fight Toney in return match
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Goosen issues challenge to Randy Couture; "I'll match UFC money for Couture to fight Toney in a boxing ring after the mma fight"

If the UFC want to bill it as ufc vs. Boxing then Dan is right, they have to do the return match otherwise its just mma vs mma on aug 28th.

YouTube - Dan Goosen issues challenge to Randy Couture; "I'll match UFC $; fight Toney in a ring"

2. Krackle

Krackle Yellow Belt

Freakshows can be fun but I'll watch this one on youtube at the most. I dearly hope they would box with sparring gear.

3. PaRRaDoXiCaL**

PaRRaDoXiCaL** White Belt

ye but mma fighters wouldn't have balls for that.. once u get rocked u cant attempt a takedown lolll

ey dont hate on it now

4. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Goosen would have to offer more than 'UFC money' for any MMA guy to even contemplate it.
    Floyd put it best 'I ain't gonna be dropped on my head and stamped in the balls for $100,000, that's sneaker money!'
    James took on the momentous challenge, to raise his profile, I'm guessing; but Randy's boxing is tripe, so, its a non-starter.
    Plus there's the small matter of UFC contracts, remember the shitstorm when Randy tried to side-step before, to challenge Fedor?

5. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

He's really misunderstood the reasoning for it taking place under MMA rules. MMA rules allows Toney to box and Randy to wrestle and clinch etc. Under the Queensberry rules it stops Randy from doing anything that he's good at but allows Toney to exercise his full arsenal.

6. Kid McCoy

Kid McCoy Black Belt

True.

Dan just wants to promote a Toney fight and he's not happy being cut out of the picture, much like Don King & Mayorga.

7. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

That's a pretty stupid challenge...

no one is disputing that James Toney would destroy Randy Couture in a boxing match...

similar to how no one would dispute TOney getting his a$$ kicked in a wrestling match with Couture.

the UFC cage offers both fighting arts to be utilized.

8. Kid McCoy

Kid McCoy Black Belt

100% True.

9. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

Even though I'm a die hard Couture Fan, I still see TOney pulling off the upset and opening to doors to a new era of $hit talking by James Toney.

10. gmr7494

gmr7494 Red Belt

Technically, you are right, but do you actually believe Couture will be "utilizing" his boxing skills in this fight? This will be a wrestling match equivalent to sexual assault, with Toney being swabbed for DNA at the end of the night.

11. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

If Couture is a smart fighter (which he is) he will employ his strengths and attempt to neutralize his opponents strengths and expose his opponents weaknesses. He will most likely attempt to take Toney down immediately.

12. gmr7494

gmr7494 Red Belt

To quote the infamous Lee Murray, Couture will "shoot from the locker room." Hell yeah Couture will take this fight down. Right off the bat. And he'll put Toney on his back and that will be the end of it.

13. TheRainSong

TheRainSong Purple Belt

The difference is Randy has no intention of challenging boxers in a ring because he knows it's not his sport and he would get tooled. Toney OTOH does think his boxing is good enough to overcome MMA fighters....nothing wrong with that, he's confident and wants to challenge himself and since he signed the dotted line more power to him.

14. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

Here is what is wrong with your assessment. Everyone acknowledges that Boxers are among the best (if not very best) strikers in the world. MMA fighters who go into the boxing world will have a very distinct disadvantage as they cannot utilize their other skills outside of striking in the boxing ring. A boxer who enters MMA can still use his boxing.

I have all the respect for James Toney in making this challenge.

15. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

You see...this is the conventional wisdom regarding the "most likely" outcome of this fight, COuture will take down Toney and G&P him into submission.

But you see...Couture will have to get relatively close for that to happen...and he's not as quick as he use to be and he can't take a punch like he use to...

Toney has almost 80 professional fights under his belt in a sport that takes full advantage of flawed defense, unprotected faces. In boxing, the margin for error is very small, any vulnerablity by COuture in terms of defense and Toney will expose it. Toney, although past his prime can still land a perfectly timed one-two and TKO/KO Couture rather easily.

In my opinion this outcome is just as likely as the one I mentioned above.

16. TheRainSong

TheRainSong Purple Belt

Not sure what was wrong about my assessment considering I never said anything contrary to what you're stating. I don't believe Couture has ever acknowledged that he's a world class boxer or made any attempt to go into boxing whereas Toney clearly has stated that he would be able to use his boxing to beat top MMA fighters hence the reason he's attempting to do this sport. Never said he's right or wrong just stating what the man thinks (We're all about to find out anyways). And yes of course Boxers have a distinct advantage standing against MMA fighters, it's a no-brainer.

Anyways I think Goosen's challenge to Randy is kinda lame considering it wasn't Randy trying to venture into the boxing world by going to boxing shows trying to get a contract to fight but Toney OTOH clearly was with MMA.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  17. gmr7494

gmr7494 Red Belt

Sure, your scenario is just as likely as mine. In fact, I'm hoping this is the case. I'd like to see Toney knock Couture out. But I'll venture to say that Toney, despite training with King Mo, is still not capable of stuffing a Couture double-leg.

18. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

I don't think he will stuff it...he might counter it by placing a nice cross/straight on Couture's face as he's coming in..

All I know is James Toney is +350...worthy of a significant bet.

Besides, I gotta make up for my loss by betting on Juan Diaz.

19. gmr7494

gmr7494 Red Belt

I gotta agree with you here. +350 is too much to pass up.

20. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

BWA HA HA HA. Any idiot that betted Juan Diaz deserves to lose that