Damn. The MW champ Almost Quit MMA

Control weight cutting and you'll have some current WW at 205.

225 division will be needed.
of course some WWs cut more than 15 pounds but what does that have to do with 225? current MWs can fight at 205 and current LHWs can fight at 265. care to explain what you meant?

Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.

Or Asian fighters just suck. Please name one Asian fighter who would of been champ if not for weight cutting? And don't bring up a Russian because they cut just as much weight as Americans and Brazilians

Fights would be so much better without weight cutting. These guys are all in ridiculous shape but after a cut they lose all their cardio. You’re seeing a guy fight that almost died 24 hours ago.

hyun-gyu-lim.jpg

dong-hyun-kim.jpg
Understand that there are exceptions to every rule.

DHK is a huge weight cutter. We can agree with that. But let's not pretend that cutting is the norm in Asian MMA like it is over here.

of course some WWs cut more than 15 pounds but what does that have to do with 225? current MWs can fight at 205 and current LHWs can fight at 265. care to explain what you meant?
You'll have a lot of MW (Rockhold, Costa, and Romero for example) that would fit into the 225 division. If you don't add the 225 it will make the HW division the largest division and it will need a lot of unclogging.

Think about it. If you control weight cutting you would add most of the MW division and all the LHW division to the HW division.

225 is needed.

Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.

here is the biggest reason: they dont give a shit.

Or Asian fighters just suck. Please name one Asian fighter who would of been champ if not for weight cutting? And don't bring up a Russian because they cut just as much weight as Americans and Brazilians

They dont give a shit about MMA, thats the biggest reason.

Would have been sad to see. Whittaker is a monster. I wanna see Mousasi vs Whittaker.

WME are clueless
And this is why many fighters consider Mousasi one of the goats..... besides his 15 years and NOW IN HIS PRIME, all his belts, his incredulous record and the fact he's made weight in every single fight while flipflopping between 205 and 185 in his career.A natural middleweight and while his frame continued to get naturally bigger- still made weight - every fight every promotion.When other fighters step on scale, theyre greeted with " a clap and "a good job" ".When Mousasi dons the scale, he's met with " 185..... of course".

You'll have a lot of MW (Rockhold, Costa, and Romero for example) that would fit into the 225 division. If you don't add the 225 it will make the HW division the largest division and it will need a lot of unclogging.

Think about it. If you control weight cutting you would add most of the MW division and all the LHW division to the HW division.

225 is needed.
athletes adjust their bodyweight to the existing weight classes, i dont think a lot of MWs cut more than 20 pounds of water and if they do they would just choose to slim down instead of fighting at a huge disadvantage at 225 or 265. if LHW & HW get merged its still the weakest division but slightly more competitive i think that would be a good thing but then again it wont happen anyways so there is no need to even discuss this

Barring short notice fights, I believe anyone who misses weight even once should not be signed to fight in that weight class again for at least two fights. Miss the same weight class twice, and move up permanently. Then, those who cut huge weight, but always make weight aren't affected, but those who miss are forced to fight at a more realistic weight.

athletes adjust their bodyweight to the existing weight classes, i dont think a lot of MWs cut more than 20 pounds of water and if they do they would just choose to slim down instead of fighting at a huge disadvantage at 225 or 265. if LHW & HW get merged its still the weakest division but slightly more competitive i think that would be a good thing but then again it wont happen anyways so there is no need to even discuss this
Whittaker is considered on the smaller side it seems and weighs about 215-220 normally. When he wrestles he competes at 97 kg which is about 213 pounds and loses a few pounds to make weight. I couldn't find the article where he said he has to drop a couple pounds (<5) to make 213 but here's the article.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/commo...t/news-story/9b8622096bb16db2a3260bd327a904cf

Screenshot_2018-08-29-08-46-08.png

I personally believe almost every MW is normally over 205 pounds. They live their normal lives and train at that weight and only weigh 185 to fight.

I mean look at Whittaker. He's the UFC MW champ but competes and represents Australia in wrestling at 213.

Barring short notice fights, I believe anyone who misses weight even once should not be signed to fight in that weight class again for at least two fights. Miss the same weight class twice, and move up permanently. Then, those who cut huge weight, but always make weight aren't affected, but those who miss are forced to fight at a more realistic weight.
I think why they will never do this is because the UFC wants different fighters at certain weight classes.
McGregor wanted to compete in the UFC as a LW but he had to fight at FW if he wanted to get signed.

Ferguson wanted/wants to be a WW but the UFC wants him at LW.

Gastelum always wanted to be a MW but the UFC wanted him at WW until it was shown that Gastelum was going to fail to make 170.

Before his last fight at WW. Said the cut was horrible. He almost called Joe Silva WEEKS before his fight against Mike Rhodes. That's how much even stress even thinking about the weight cut put on him.

He ended up manning up, making weight which included a 16.5 pound weight cut in 4 hours, and taking a decision. After that his better half talked him into moving up weight. He's now champ at a higher weight class thanks to her.
https://sports.yahoo.com/middleweig...ker-ufc-weight-cutting-problem-225817368.html
Middleweight champ Robert Whittaker: The UFC has a weight-cutting problem

I think the worst thing going on in the sport we love isn't PEDs it's weight cutting. Something that college wrestlers brought into the sport that became part of the game.

I never understood why 2 guys that both weigh over 190 pounds in the cage, that nearly wrecked their bodies to make weight are fighting at 170. Fight at 185 FFS.

UFC (and mma in general) need to get a handle. Control weight cutting and make a 225 division. The 125 male division and maybe even the 135 division will disappear because everyone will get pushed up 1 division if not 2.

Please adopt hydration testing.

Thoughts Sherverse?

Adding weight classes is not the answer. That will lead to only more weight cutting.

Its really a simple fix.

If you miss weight, not only do you not get to fight, but also get a 1 year ban.

Miss weight again, don't get to fight and this time a 2 year ban.

Miss weight again, a 3 year ban.

Stop allowing fighters who miss weight to give up part of their purse and fight anyway. They have a clear advantage over the guy who made weight.

Whittaker is considered on the smaller side it seems and weighs about 215-220 normally. When he wrestles he competes at 97 kg which is about 213 pounds and loses a few pounds to make weight. I couldn't find the article where he said he has to drop a couple pounds (<5) to make 213 but here's the article.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/commo...t/news-story/9b8622096bb16db2a3260bd327a904cf

View attachment 428857

I personally believe almost every MW is normally over 205 pounds. They live their normal lives and train at that weight and only weigh 185 to fight.

I mean look at Whittaker. He's the UFC MW champ but competes and represents Australia in wrestling at 213.

I think why they will never do this is because the UFC wants different fighters at certain weight classes.
McGregor wanted to compete in the UFC as a LW but he had to fight at FW if he wanted to get signed.

Ferguson wanted/wants to be a WW but the UFC wants him at LW.

Gastelum always wanted to be a MW but the UFC wanted him at WW until it was shown that Gastelum was going to fail to make 170.

Bull Shit. Gastelum wanted to fight at 170. Conor wanted to fight at 145, and so on.

The UFC doesn't dictate lower weight classes.

Bull Shit. Gastelum wanted to fight at 170. Conor wanted to fight at 145, and so on.

The UFC doesn't dictate lower weight classes.
So why did Gastelum compete at MW for his entire career until after he won TUF at MW then switched to WW. And now that I think about it, ever since knocking out Vitor Gastelum has been adamant about staying at MW. It's DW that's always talking about sending him to WW.

And do you think it's a coincidence that as soon as Conor won the FW he immediately jumped to LW and never talked about FW again?

So why did Gastelum compete at MW for his entire career until after he won TUF at MW then switched to WW. And now that I think about it, ever since knocking out Vitor Gastelum has been adamant about staying at MW. It's DW that's always talking about sending him to WW.

And do you think it's a coincidence that as soon as Conor won the FW he immediately jumped to LW and never talked about FW again?

Because they like fighting smaller guys as long as possible.

Because they like fighting smaller guys as long as possible.
Or understand that cutting weight hurts performance.

Ability to take a punch, cardio, strength all takes a hit. Remember weight cutting started because people wanted to get an advantage over smaller opponents. Not because they thought they would perform better start l after cutting weight.

Last edited:
Paper MW Champion

I like him, one of my best buds trained with him in Australia... but Bobby's never been in a MW Championship fight.

He's got a lot to prove, and I look forward to seeing him prove it

Back