Damn. The MW champ Almost Quit MMA

Took me a while to remember who the MW Champion actually was. So many interim belts flying around these days that, frankly, who cares

hydration testing yes but please no 225 division, LHWs are just HWs who cut weight and they are the 2 weakest divisions, no need to separate them

hydration testing yes but please no 225 division, LHWs are just HWs who cut weight and they are the 2 weakest divisions, no need to separate them
Control weight cutting and you'll have some current WW at 205.

225 division will be needed.

I can't stand the weight cutting, it is ridiculous. UFC should just make it you have to weight your fight weight 7 days out and maintain it for a week, you can enter the cage +3% but that is it. Would really change things up and get rid of these late cancelled fights.

Easy fix, dont cut so much weight, fight in a higher weifht class and become champ. Problem solved. I dont believe the 16 lbs in 4 hrs though.

I don't know why the UFC doesn't come up with something before someone dies.

We are not seeing fighters at their best on fight night due to ridiculous weight cuts

Someone will die from a weight cut in the UFC, and then they will change, and use the system One Championship adopted after one of their fighters died.

One UFC fighter will be sacrificed before then, like in The Lottery. It could be anybody. And the UFC could save him, but they won't, he (or she) will die.

Weight cutting has always been part of combat sports. You see in it MMA, Wreslting, BJJ, Boxing and Muay Thai. It will be very difficult to stop it.

Is there any evidence or source about that? Honest question.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445249/

"Collegiate wrestlers regularly used dangerous weight-cutting practices before 1997, when the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) changed the rules for weight management following the deaths of 3 healthy collegiate wrestlers.2,9,14Occurring within 35 days of one another, these deaths were the result of dangerous weight-cutting practices.2"

Spoiler alert... they are still doing dangerous cuts and the rules didn't stop much.

Cool? Just move up and don't cut weight...

To be fair, Whittaker already did do that. He’s doing his part, the others aren’t.

And doing his part nearly got his life taken from him by a giant Cuban man.

Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.

hyun-gyu-lim.jpg

dong-hyun-kim.jpg

John Dodson does the most extreme cuts in the UFC and it's never been an issue has it? BECAUSE HE MAKES WEIGHT. It only becomes an issue if people FAIL AT CUTTING.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/joh...p-168-pounds-bantamweight-fight-john-lineker/

What is this drive to make it easier on guys who lack the discipline and planning ability to do a proper cut? Cutting is part of the sport and if you are bad at it you will be at a disadvantage. Might not be fair but that's life for you.

CreamyInsidiousAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

d00033fa3158e47c5e74faefab9e0a1e.gif

Objectively speaking, he got the shit kicked out of him. He did a good job of winning the nifty scoring contest though.

He’ll likely never be the same after that beating.

giphy.gif
yeah I saw the fight. i also saw feijiao push romero's shit in worse some years ago and actually stop him, yet here he is contending for the title long after.

Before his last fight at WW. Said the cut was horrible. He almost called Joe Silva WEEKS before his fight against Mike Rhodes. That's how much even stress even thinking about the weight cut put on him.

He ended up manning up, making weight which included a 16.5 pound weight cut in 4 hours, and taking a decision. After that his better half talked him into moving up weight. He's now champ at a higher weight class thanks to her.
https://sports.yahoo.com/middleweig...ker-ufc-weight-cutting-problem-225817368.html
Middleweight champ Robert Whittaker: The UFC has a weight-cutting problem

I think the worst thing going on in the sport we love isn't PEDs it's weight cutting. Something that college wrestlers brought into the sport that became part of the game.

I never understood why 2 guys that both weigh over 190 pounds in the cage, that nearly wrecked their bodies to make weight are fighting at 170. Fight at 185 FFS.

UFC (and mma in general) need to get a handle. Control weight cutting and make a 225 division. The 125 male division and maybe even the 135 division will disappear because everyone will get pushed up 1 division if not 2.

Please adopt hydration testing.

Thoughts Sherverse?

I've been saying this for over a decade.
If everyone cuts weight, then fucking ban weight cutting and be done with it.

yeah I saw the fight. i also saw feijiao push romero's shit in worse some years ago and actually stop him, yet here he is contending for the title long after.

<JagsKiddingMe>
Excellent rebuttal.

Time will tell, I’m thinking he gets knocked out cold next fight.

Back