Damn. The MW champ Almost Quit MMA

Bend NvR Break

Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.
@Steel
Reaction score
Before his last fight at WW. Said the cut was horrible. He almost called Joe Silva WEEKS before his fight against Mike Rhodes. That's how much even stress even thinking about the weight cut put on him.

He ended up manning up, making weight which included a 16.5 pound weight cut in 4 hours, and taking a decision. After that his better half talked him into moving up weight. He's now champ at a higher weight class thanks to her.
https://sports.yahoo.com/middleweig...ker-ufc-weight-cutting-problem-225817368.html
Middleweight champ Robert Whittaker: The UFC has a weight-cutting problem

I think the worst thing going on in the sport we love isn't PEDs it's weight cutting. Something that college wrestlers brought into the sport that became part of the game.

I never understood why 2 guys that both weigh over 190 pounds in the cage, that nearly wrecked their bodies to make weight are fighting at 170. Fight at 185 FFS.

UFC (and mma in general) need to get a handle. Control weight cutting and make a 225 division. The 125 male division and maybe even the 135 division will disappear because everyone will get pushed up 1 division if not 2.

Please adopt hydration testing.

Thoughts Sherverse?

Would have been sad to see. Whittaker is a monster. I wanna see Mousasi vs Whittaker.

WME are clueless

Cool? Just move up and don't cut weight...

Weight cut didnt come from wrestling. It is used in all combat sports with weight divisions.

I don't know why the UFC doesn't come up with something before someone dies.

We are not seeing fighters at their best on fight night due to ridiculous weight cuts

More weightclasses doesn't solve the problem of cutting weight. Some fighters will always want to cut down to be bigger than someone else, at the expense of their health.

In my opinion, fighters should be weighed every week leading up to the fight (fighter submitted for 2 weeks prior to weigh-in) and the purse forfeit should be 50% for missing weight, with additional costs for each additional pound over weight.

Weight cut didnt come from wrestling. It is used in all combat sports with weight divisions.
Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.

Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.
Or yellow skin weighs less. Yushin Okami was a monster middleweight. How he made welter baffles me

just adopt ONE FCs policies of weight cutting

problem solved

I don't really give a shit and think the coverage of it is way overblown. As long as the fight isn't cancelled I couldn't care less. It's on fighters to know their own bodies and make the best strategic decision regarding weight.

I think a lot of the bitterness is coming from fighters who suck at cutting weight and are butthurt that other guys are more disciplined and/or have bodies better-suited to cutting, and they want the UFC to shield them from fighting bigger guys. Grow a pair.

Hydration tests are the answer but the ufc doesn't want to upset the status quo

The transition would be bad for business in the short term and there just isn't enough upside business wise. Real shame the fighters need it.

I don't know why the UFC doesn't come up with something before someone dies.

We are not seeing fighters at their best on fight night due to ridiculous weight cuts
No one is making then cut extreme amounts of weight in such a short amount of time.....plus a fighter already died in OneFC he was a 21 year old flyweight back in Dec 2015

No one is making then cut extreme amounts of weight in such a short amount of time

I get it but you need to protect some of these guys from themselves. Some of these guys look like death at weigh ins

Last edited:
I think cutting weight was seen as a big competitive advantage when everyone wasn't doing it. If you could cut twenty pounds you'd be fighting smaller guys. Problem is when a bunch of fighters are doing it everyone winds up doing it in order to stay competitive, the advantage is gone and the health implications are all you're left with

People point fingers at the ufc, and that might be fair, but don’t forget these fighters have camps and handlers that are surely somewhat responsible as well.

Or yellow skin weighs less. Yushin Okami was a monster middleweight. How he made welter baffles me
Training around Americans. He began a relationship with Team Quest after Chael beat him.

I get it but you need to protect some of these guys from themselves. Someone these guys look like death at weigh ins
See James Vick last Friday

Or for a better pic

McGregor at FW on weigh in day.

Hydration tests are the answer but the ufc doesn't want to upset the status quo

The transition would be bad for business in the short term and there just isn't enough upside business wise. Real shame the fighters need it.
i cant think of what would be worse for business than someone dying. i hope they start using hydration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back