Damn. The MW champ Almost Quit MMA

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Bend NvR Break, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Before his last fight at WW. Said the cut was horrible. He almost called Joe Silva WEEKS before his fight against Mike Rhodes. That's how much even stress even thinking about the weight cut put on him.

He ended up manning up, making weight which included a 16.5 pound weight cut in 4 hours, and taking a decision. After that his better half talked him into moving up weight. He's now champ at a higher weight class thanks to her.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/middleweig...ker-ufc-weight-cutting-problem-225817368.html
    Middleweight champ Robert Whittaker: The UFC has a weight-cutting problem

I think the worst thing going on in the sport we love isn't PEDs it's weight cutting. Something that college wrestlers brought into the sport that became part of the game.

I never understood why 2 guys that both weigh over 190 pounds in the cage, that nearly wrecked their bodies to make weight are fighting at 170. Fight at 185 FFS.

UFC (and mma in general) need to get a handle. Control weight cutting and make a 225 division. The 125 male division and maybe even the 135 division will disappear because everyone will get pushed up 1 division if not 2.

Please adopt hydration testing.

Thoughts Sherverse?

2. Would have been sad to see. Whittaker is a monster. I wanna see Mousasi vs Whittaker.

WME are clueless

TehJesus, -Magua-, Espresso and 16 others like this.
  3. gimp0

gimp0 Brown Belt

Cool? Just move up and don't cut weight...

4. Nightwish

Nightwish Brown Belt

Weight cut didnt come from wrestling. It is used in all combat sports with weight divisions.

5. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

I don't know why the UFC doesn't come up with something before someone dies.

We are not seeing fighters at their best on fight night due to ridiculous weight cuts

6. indymmj

indymmj Purple Belt

It's part of the sport man

Kumason, The_Buckanater and Aggi like this.
  7. Pancake Sprawl

Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

it came to MMA from wrestling though.

8. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

More weightclasses doesn't solve the problem of cutting weight. Some fighters will always want to cut down to be bigger than someone else, at the expense of their health.

In my opinion, fighters should be weighed every week leading up to the fight (fighter submitted for 2 weeks prior to weigh-in) and the purse forfeit should be 50% for missing weight, with additional costs for each additional pound over weight.

9. Bend NvR Break

Most definitely entered MMA though collegiate wrestlers transitioning into mma.

It's another reason why Asian fighters don't do good in the UFC. They haven't adopted or embraced weight cutting and fight at basically their natural weight putting them at a pretty big size disadvantage come cage time.

10. The Witcher

The Witcher відродитися

Or yellow skin weighs less. Yushin Okami was a monster middleweight. How he made welter baffles me

11. Turkleton

Turkleton Purple Belt

just adopt ONE FCs policies of weight cutting

problem solved

12. BobbyHillComedian

BobbyHillComedian Yellow Card Yellow Card

I don't really give a shit and think the coverage of it is way overblown. As long as the fight isn't cancelled I couldn't care less. It's on fighters to know their own bodies and make the best strategic decision regarding weight.

I think a lot of the bitterness is coming from fighters who suck at cutting weight and are butthurt that other guys are more disciplined and/or have bodies better-suited to cutting, and they want the UFC to shield them from fighting bigger guys. Grow a pair.

george14 and xXxGhost89xXx like this.
  13. ftpngo

ftpngo Green Belt

Hydration tests are the answer but the ufc doesn't want to upset the status quo

The transition would be bad for business in the short term and there just isn't enough upside business wise. Real shame the fighters need it.

14. tucan89

tucan89 Purple Belt

No one is making then cut extreme amounts of weight in such a short amount of time.....plus a fighter already died in OneFC he was a 21 year old flyweight back in Dec 2015

The_Buckanater and P4PSHERGOAT like this.
  15. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

I get it but you need to protect some of these guys from themselves. Some of these guys look like death at weigh ins

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  16. ch1584

ch1584 Blue Belt

I think cutting weight was seen as a big competitive advantage when everyone wasn't doing it. If you could cut twenty pounds you'd be fighting smaller guys. Problem is when a bunch of fighters are doing it everyone winds up doing it in order to stay competitive, the advantage is gone and the health implications are all you're left with

17. hot carl

hot carl Gold Belt

People point fingers at the ufc, and that might be fair, but don’t forget these fighters have camps and handlers that are surely somewhat responsible as well.

The_Buckanater likes this.
  18. Bend NvR Break

Training around Americans. He began a relationship with Team Quest after Chael beat him.

The_Buckanater and The Witcher like this.
  19. Bend NvR Break

See James Vick last Friday

Or for a better pic

McGregor at FW on weigh in day.

Franklin U. likes this.
  20. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Red Belt

i cant think of what would be worse for business than someone dying. i hope they start using hydration.

ftpngo likes this.