dam Ken Shamrock was insanely boring

It appears that the OP @UFCBlackbelt is working his way up event by event from UFC 1 onwards.

That's cool, and I wish more newer fans would do that. However, I would suggest actually getting through a large number of UFC events first, then watching a good number of non-UFC events of the time, (the early Extreme Fighting events headed by Peretti, Pancrase up until Kondo became champ, MARS, and slightly later on, the early PRIDE events) and then seeing how the sport evolved before passing judgment on a fighter being "boring" or not.

Quite a few legends and pioneers, not just Ken Shamrock, had their share of "boring" fights. At the time, MMA had far fewer rules while being far more primitive in terms of techniques, and as such, more closely simulated a street fight.

For instance, Shamrock's rematches against Royce and Dan Severn, as well as his superfight against Oleg Taktarov were very dull affairs. However, in each case, that was a consequence of Ken's skills relatives to that of his opponents, not any fundamental failing of his. His fights in Pancrase, his first fights against Royce and Severn, or his match against Kimo were all reasonably fun for the time.

i have an excel sheet with pride + ufc events in order including the non ppvs.

Only thing I have trouble with is getting the prelims since fight pass wont show it and its hard to search them up before spoilers

btw varelanes was a freak of a man, hes like a video game character

Damn you missed out on a lot.
Ken was most exciting and well known guy in 90 's

I always wanted to see a Shamrock - Mur fight. It actually came very close to happening during Ken’s second quest in the UFC as Mur was a major player in that time. Ken has more career submissions wins than Mur. Mur’s never been submitted in MMA competition.
Be awesome grappling
Both similar both attack legs and shit from back
Be like Ken vs Suzuki

Not sure what you mean by the previous generation. As far as HW, guys like long time champ Sylvia certainly wouldn't humiliate anyone today. Pride had a grand total of 3 guys whos names I don't even need to mention that could beat most if not all of the HW's today, the rest were pretty lesser in those days also.

Sham never really had any good victories from today's perspective (his wins over Bas were literally when Bas knew NO submissions), and wasn't the clear top fighter in the first MMA generation (2 generations ago); Severn and Gracie were as good or better, and that really make the idea he could beat anyone good today look ridiculous. He landed some good shots on Fujita, and had really improved his striking, but he had to quit when he ran out of gas, and would have gotten smashed by Fujita on the ground if he had continued.

I get that you like Sham, and I worshipped him in the 90's, but in retrospect, he is more revered for his pioneering than his actual ability.
Ken of 96 hangs with Brock and go back further tim n aa days

Ken vs Royce II, Ken vs Severn II, and Ken vs Taktarov are pretty boring. In fact two of those fights are among the most boring ever, but everything else he did in the UFC pre WWF is pretty good. His Pancrase fights from around the same time are fun to watch. You should check those out.
Fair post
But if you go deep in them fights you will know why they are boring
Credit to you though

Ken was one of best finishers you watching shit?
Unless you are trolling or Ken into a savage later then i dont know what to tell you.
Im re watching the old ufcs from the beginning and so far, for the most part he just humps people up for excrutiating amounts of time.

When there were no fuckin rounds or barely any time limit

I feel for you who wasn't brought up n kens era
How do you know what era i was brought up in? Ive been on this place since 06 and obviously i was already a fan way before i joined.

Im watching all kens shit as we speak.super fights- everything. Dude was boring as fuck

Unless you are trolling or Ken into a savage later then i dont know what to tell you.
Im re watching the old ufcs from the beginning and so far, for the most part he just humps people up for excrutiating amounts of time.

When there were no fuckin rounds or barely any time limit
Mma he was best
He was best p4p when retired in 96

How do you know what era i was brought up in? Ive been on this place since 06 and obviously i was already a fan way before i joined.

Im watching all kens shit as we speak.super fights- everything. Dude was boring as fuck
Watch pancrase

I have. That shit was half fake from many reports but i dont know
It could be. It was cheesy as fuck
More real than UFC
So many more injuries than UFC and pride
There is a reason pancrase banned heel hooks
More real than UFC

Back