Law Dallas - No longer prosecuting theft under $750 if person needed it and it wasn’t for economic gain

spamking

The world is your Indian taco
Platinum Member
Reaction score
... the person needed whatever they stole and it wasn't for economic gain

As someone replied to the tweet said . . . isn't theft by definition for economic gain? I mean, I can understand looking at cases using this standard and MAYBE being lenient, but to just outright not prosecute every case under $750? He doesn't mention anything about it saving the City/County money (which would be a more logical position to take IMO).

Case by case looking the other way if someone steels a sandwich or generic pair of boots for the winter? Definitely

But $750 is a pretty high limit. This could definitely get abused. Corner sign flyers can now steal whatever they "need" and any money they get is 100% for the booze and drugs

Hopefully they stay strict only if needed and not for any personal gain. I feel like that amount could be under $50 tho

In Sweden, gangs use minors to steal for them because they won’t be prosecuted.
Sounds like that business plan could be used in Dallas as well.

So all meals then should be free?

All clothes should be...free?

Gasoline?

Groceries?

Wtf am I missing here?

So all meals then should be free?

All clothes should be...free?

Gasoline?

Groceries?

Wtf am I missing here?

They can scrap welfare then, just take what you need/want.
how much do jordans cost?

This is borderline moronic. If you stop punishing people for "small" crimes, things start to fall apart pretty quick. This is an hour long but well worth the watch I expect this shit from lefty cities but Dallas!?

I think this is a reflection of how over burdened our justice system is. Imagine what would happen if everyone stopped taking plea deals. The court logs would fill up quickly and we would see so many cases thrown out. Our right to a speedy trial would get violated all the time.

Personally I would like to see us clean up what laws we actually have. We should end the war on drugs. Then stop releasing high repeat offenders such as child molesters back into society.

I do not think this is going to turn out well for the citizens of Dallas.

Breaking: every convenience store, grocery store, restaurant and pharmacy in Dallas just went out of business.

Who is stealing anything that they absolutely 'need' with a value of even $500?

I would love one or two examples of something costing $500 that would be justified as a 'need' and be okay to be stolen.

If you want to make some crazy law , The dollar amount should be $20.

This is the exact type of societal erosion the US will continue to see unless and until wealth and income inequality is aggressively addressed and its levels reduced. And a guaranteed (or, if you prefer, compulsory) jobs program needs to be part of that package.

Who is stealing anything that they absolutely 'need' with a value of even $500?

I would love one or two examples of something costing $500 that would be justified as a 'need' and be okay to be stolen.

If you want to make some crazy law , The dollar amount should be $20.
Not just that, this is $750 AT A TIME, not even a monthly theft allowance. $750/day is over 273k/year. You could be in the top 1% just by stealing shit and breaking it up in the right measure.

My yearly business insurance, I bought a piano 2 years ago, had a route canal 9 years ago. I'm really thinking hard here and having real trouble coming up with anything I've spent $750 on at one time.

This is the exact type of societal erosion the US will continue to see unless and until wealth and income inequality is aggressively addressed and its levels reduced. And a guaranteed (or, if you prefer, compulsory) jobs program needs to be part of that package.
What does "addressed" mean? If I make 500k and you make 30k, and I double both our income, it went up in exactly the same proportion but increased our "gap". You have twice what you did before, but you're now justified to steal from me because you're mad my income went up too?

Get off your ass an aquire a skillset for today's world or suffer and fall back behind everyone else. And if you want to try to short cut hard work, expect to be shot.

Remember when we used to cut off the hands of thieves ? Why can't we go back to that

What does "addressed" mean? If I make 500k and you make 30k, and I double both our income, it went up in exactly the same proportion but increased our "gap". You have twice what you did before, but you're now justified to steal from me because you're mad my income went up too?

Cool story, brah.

Back