Dallas Area School

jenglish3186

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post.

Interested in training, but seems there is a lot of choices in the Dallas, Tx area.

If any of the posters here happen to live in the Dallas area and have suggestions please let me know, there seem to be so many different schools I don't know where to begin.

Also, not really an area specific question, but as a beginner would most of you recommend training grappling or striking first, or even both right from the start?

Last question, is 22 to old to begin training and compete on an amateur level?

Thanks in advance fellas!

Yeah I saw his school on TXMMA and it looked really good, definately a guy with credentials I would like, unfortunately his location is about an hour away without considering the metroplex traffic, if it's the best place here I'll keep it as a definate consideration but was looking more for a north dallas gym.

Appreciate the input

There is the Lions Den with Guy Metzger also.

Noticed that one also, I see that your from dallas yourself.

Do you train? And if so what are your thoughts on the gyms in the area? Any you would suggest as good for a beginner?

I had also taken note of the North Dallas Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, ndbjj.com. Seemed like a nice school any thoughts?

I live in Rockwall, and since you live in Dallas, I assume you know where that is....but, I would say for grappling, the Texas Self Defense Academy over in Arlington, the chief instructor is my instructor's instructor....but myself, I train over here in Rockwall at Wolfpack Jiu-Jitsu

what city do u live in?
what major cross street/highway is near u?

there is tons of good schools in the area, depends on where u live really
north dallas:

machado
mohler
alliance jd shelley
roberto kaelin
terry corkran
yousef
dfw jiujitsu
freddy pooles
marcus hicks
chris brennen
denton school (forget his name)
etc list goes on and on

I train at NDBJJ (see avatar), JD Shelley is the head instructor and an excellent one at that. Very good people attend this school so the atmosphere has been top notch for me. The school is just north of Dallas in Plano. www.ndbjj.com You are more than welcome to come try out 2 classes for free. There is also Muay Thai offered at our gym with another excellent instructor, Tomer Litvin.

Carlos Machado.
4887 Alpha Rd
Farmers Branch
972-934-1316

Hands down.

Hey guys thanks a ton for all the input

Glad to say a lot of these recommendations are places I've been impressed with in doing my own search so thats great

I live in south Dallas atm but will be moving to the richardson/plano area here in a month or two, so figured id find a school in that area

Thanks again guys!

If Plano, then NDBJJ and Pirate are the closest ones, I think one is on Spring Creek and the other on Parker.

I would personally recommend Star Jiu Jitu (http://www.starbjj.com/). A few years ago Carlos had the best school, now apparently he has turned it into a karate type school (bowing, x months = belt, etc...) and 99% of his top students don't even train with him anymore. Star is where a lot of Carlos's old students go to train now.

ain't it nice to have choices! From Plano you should be able to get to pretty much anywhere

Hey guys thanks a ton for all the input

Glad to say a lot of these recommendations are places I've been impressed with in doing my own search so thats great

I live in south Dallas atm but will be moving to the richardson/plano area here in a month or two, so figured id find a school in that area

Thanks again guys!

If in Plano then NDBJJ will be the closest. They have a good rep. I know a couple of guys that train out of there and all seem to like it. Their MT school is also pretty well respected.

Like Hayliks says also Star is very good. I've trained with James Brown when he was at DFW jiujitsu. Very good instructor. Extremely technical and detailed.

Seriously? I'm going to be 31 on Thursday and I just started BJJ last month!

Is that all? I'm 37 and been doing Hapkido for 6 months. We have guys training for the first time in their 40's. Granted they may not be looking for amateur fights.

Thanks so much fellas the responses have been great.

One thing I was wondering though, will it matter which of these schools I attend if my goal is to ultimately compete? (Not as in quality of training, but which schools will assist me in my goal of competition?)

Is that something I do on my own or do these schools organize and facilitate all the competition mumbo jumbo?

Is that all? I'm 37 and been doing Hapkido for 6 months. We have guys training for the first time in their 40's. Granted they may not be looking for amateur fights.

I'm going to be 40 next month, and I just started taking BJJ last August.

Thanks so much fellas the responses have been great.

One thing I was wondering though, will it matter which of these schools I attend if my goal is to ultimately compete? (Not as in quality of training, but which schools will assist me in my goal of competition?)

Is that something I do on my own or do these schools organize and facilitate all the competition mumbo jumbo?

Competing is simple as registering for a tournament and writing a check. Any school will help you get ready for a tourney with chanigning up the traiing routines. More cardio work specicfc drills to work gaps in your game. Whatever.

Back