Daisuke Naito vs. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam IV

Czechvarmander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another pretty good fight between these two on a weekend stacked with good fights.
It was close but I had Naito up 115-113 but I had no problem with a draw...other than the fact that it will probably lead to Naito-Wonjonkam V and beyond. Too bad the atrocity that is open scoring made it clear after eight that a draw was a good possibility.

The thing that impressed me most of all was both guys defense, it kind of looked like at times that Naito was using a variant of the crab stance and was pretty effective leaping in from the outside to land single shots to the body.

Wonjongkam was also really effective ducking and slipping the wide hooks that Naito throws.

And when Naito got suplexed it brought back terrible memories of the Daiki fight.

Anyone else get to check it out this weekend..

I only read about it on FightNewa, but it sounded like a pretty good fight. I'm not in favor of open scoring, either, as it might lead to somebody "coasting" if they find out they're up on the cards.

I only read about it on FightNewa, but it sounded like a pretty good fight. I'm not in favor of open scoring, either, as it might lead to somebody "coasting" if they find out they're up on the cards.

Or it can lead to fighters quitting knowing they`re so far behind like in Urkal-Cotto.

In this case after eight two judges had it 76-76, and one had it 78-74 for Naito. (I had it 77-75 at that point for Naito.)

At that point one fighter had to win three of the last four rounds in a close fight to take it with Naito having just having to convince one of the judges.

I never really thought about open scoring diminishing the suspense in a close fight but it did in this case knowing that a draw was the likely outcome after a tight final four rounds.

Or it can lead to fighters quitting knowing they`re so far behind like in Urkal-Cotto.

In this case after eight two judges had it 76-76, and one had it 78-74 for Naito. (I had it 77-75 at that point for Naito.)

At that point one fighter had to win three of the last four rounds in a close fight to take it with Naito having just having to convince one of the judges.

I never really thought about open scoring diminishing the suspense in a close fight but it did in this case knowing that a draw was the likely outcome after a tight final four rounds.

True enough. Maybe they can go one more time, but this time without open scoring. Your thoughts on that idea, or have they fought too much to make another encounter worth watching?

True enough. Maybe they can go one more time, but this time without open scoring. Your thoughts on that idea, or have they fought too much to make another encounter worth watching?

Since it`s a WBC title they`ll be open scoring if they go again, unless one of them blows the other out real early so it doesn`t come into play like in their first fight.

The fights have been good and competitive so while I wouldn`t mind seeing a fifth it is kind of ridiculous....if Daisuke wins a fifth then they`ll be even, would they have to have a sixth...or god forbid there`s another draw or disputed result.

They`ve spaced out all their prior fights with at least one fight in between so hopefully they do that again, a rematch between Daisuke and Takefumi Sakata would seem natural as they drew in their first fight.

If that came off hopefully one of Naito or Wonjongkam would lose in the meantime to set up a fresh matchup....although highly unlikely in Wonjongkam`s case as he would probably go on fighting guys with 3-4 records while waiting for another shot.

Here's hoping they do inject some new blood into the title picture.

Back