Dads & Lads help needed

mannymma

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can deliver this session. I have been given the opportunity to deliver a MMA/Kickboxing class for a local youth centre in my area which allows fathers & their sons to train together in the hope of bringing them closer together. The children range from age 6+ and the fathers up to 50 years. The issue im having is finding a way to keep both parties engaged in the session. For example, due to the size difference it is not eligable for a father to be kicking a pad that their 6 year old son is holding! And some of the fathers fitness levels are not capable of running around and performing exercises as much as the children. I need some ideas on how to deliver the session and games, exercises etc. which can include both father and son.
Any helps appreciated,
Thanks

My kickboxing class has a guy who comes in with his son and all that happens is his son works on the pads and bag for a while after they've gone through the warm ups and then the dad will spar.
Since you have a class of adults and juniors I suggest getting them to spar among their own groups and allow lads and dads to sit and talk about it and just take it in turns.

My daughter is in a kids jiu-jitsu and they get the kids doing obstacle courses. You could use punching bags as well, swiss balls if you have them can work. Warmup can be fun for everyone.

As far as actually technique drilling goes, punching bags work, or pair the kids up and pair the dads up.

You can do a type of kick limbo with a kick pad...etc.

I would say focus on the kids, and helping the parents be able to coach the kids. The parents will be in that class because they want to train with their kids, if they wanted to train "as adults" they'd be in a adult class.

Everyone can learn technique, and everyone should get a good workout. But I would suspect that most of the parents will be there because they want to learn to hold targets for their kids, help them throw proper technique, teach their kids to wrestle, etc.

Chances are they will have fun simply because they are working with their kids, as long as those kids are smiling and happy.

Back