Dad can't even do 1 sit up

shouldnt you get some professional advice ?? not talk about it on sherdog.

Professional advice on work out program? or medical related stuff? Why not ask questions about working out on a workout forum? He's due to see his neurologist next week. May be he'll prescribe Physical Therapy but he still needs to get stronger in the mean time.

dfoster said:
He also veers to the right side trying to stand up after squatting down for a while (working in the garden), picture the 'drunken master' in those kungfu video games that that's what he looks like.

I was thinking about this line earlier and it made me crack up.

shouldnt you get some professional advice ?? not talk about it on sherdog.

Professional advice on what? I'm going to assume that you meant professional advice on a workout program, or if the man is healthy enough to begin exercise. To which I'll just reply that trying to do the movements isn't going to kill him. In fact, there's no better way to gauge your level of physical fitness on a particular movement than just fucking doing it.

Take a look around you fuck-face, do you not think that many of us have had strength imbalances and injuries ourselves? Do you think we do not converse such topics here?

In the future, expand on your thoughts, maggot.

Or, perhaps seek professional advice about your goddamn sentence structures.

Oh yeah, definitely. This is the closest link: if the toes go in the ground then the muscles that pivot the foot are the first suspect before the muscles that lift the leg :icon_chee

Did you even bother to read??
Toe raises are often used in falling-prevention with old people. It's not the muscle for pivoting the foot but to raise the toes which is essential for not stumbling. Try it, it's not that hard... :rolleyes:

Did you even bother to read??
Toe raises are often used in falling-prevention with old people. It's not the muscle for pivoting the foot but to raise the toes which is essential for not stumbling. Try it, it's not that hard... :rolleyes:

Woah...You had a change of attitude just because the message didn't get through on your first try? May be someone else needs a workout in some other department j/k. Toe-raise is most often done pivoting the whole foot toward the shins with shoe on, not keeping the foot flat while raising only the toes, like this:

anttib.jpg

This is what you wrote:

Stand upright with your toes over the ledge of a platform, weight or block. Hold on to a wall with one hand for balance, if you need to. Your toes should be extended as far out over the edge as you can, but maintain your posture and balance and keep your heels on the step or block.

Pull your toes in toward your shins as far as you can. The rest of your body should remain upright, and you should feel the contraction around your shins.

This could be interpreted as either pulling the toes with the foot stationary or pulling both the toes and the foot toward the shins. But you did not make that point clear. And in the light of how toe raises are often done -pivoting the whole foot - there was no other choice but to understand it that way.
Btw, the smilie I had in the post in question was me making fun of myself for not figuring out that the foot raising function could be suspect for toe stubbing....just in case there was some misunderstanding.

anttib.jpg

This could be interpreted as either pulling the toes with the foot stationary or pulling both the toes and the foot toward the shins. But you did not make that point clear. And in the light of how toe raises are often done -pivoting the whole foot - there was no other choice but to understand it that way.

Hm, never heard of toe raises without raising your whole foot, thought that was clear. But I've seen toe raises often confused as heel raises. Anyways you got my point.

Hm, never heard of toe raises without raising your whole foot, thought that was clear. But I've seen toe raises often confused as heel raises. Anyways you got my point.

Thanks. After your suggestion, I put that exercise in the spreadsheet for 'phase II' of Operation Workout (next week) for him.

oh and...

hardday-mike.jpg

lol.. btw after 4 days on the work out program, my dad reported that he doesn't feel wobbly putting on his pants any more. That's an encouraging sign. Today the pants, tomorrow the world! :icon_chee

lol.. btw after 4 days on the work out program, my dad reported that he doesn't feel wobbly putting on his pants any more. That's an encouraging sign. Today the pants, tomorrow the world! :icon_chee

That's great to hear man, there's so much more quality of life for everyone to gain with just a little training every day.

Dude, why didn't you consult a professional about this??!

They could have professionally given you a professor's professional opinion about your Dad's professionally fucked-up hip!

He could have been professionally killed doing those unprofessional toe-raises.

^^^^^
lol, I don't think those are good for his core strength.

Just wanna comment that he would have been better off if his gym was less 'equipped' with modern stuff. He would walk around the running track and talk with his buddies- not power walk or anything but that toe-dragging, shuffle walk he did - then go to the steam room. He would do this 5 days a week for years. Never thought that he would be dangerously out of shape while going to the gym. All those years of going to the steam room and funky walking, if he only put aside 15 minutes doing body weight squats and sit ups he would still be in OK shape.

Had his gym been an old school one with machines, weights and a mat, he would have been forced to learn the floor exercises and a few weighted ones and kept the muscles in check. Hell, those exercises I'm having him do are all basic and don't need to be in a gym. I think the gyms should be some what responsible for informing seniors on what is important for them to work on, not to awe them with all the fancy amenities and implicitly give them a false sense of security that as long as they show up, they would be OK. My dad has been showing up and he wasn't OK. Alright, rant off :icon_chee. It shows that the tried and true the low tech and the often forgotten things about working out are still the best.

Back