Social D.O.T Finally Banned All "Emotional Support Animals" Except Actual Service Dogs in Plane Cabins

This is what happens when people abuse the intended policy with loop holes. It also diminishes the use of legitimate support animals that people really need.

There are needed and real emotional support dogs that are trained and certified. That's the only kind that should be allowed on a plane.

The thing is it's too wide open with abuse. Like I said before to become an official support dog they should be trained and certified and only dogs.

Emotional support animals have been getting a bad rap lately and I hate to see it. I have had an emotional support sugar glider for 2 years now and he goes everywhere with me. Not sure how I would function without him. People against them just have no idea how valuable they are to us

My extended family is my emotional support. I never thought of trying to fly all 20 of them with me for free.

Good to see. We dealt with this issue a couple years back (my posts in this thread were from 2018) and the issue was that we couldn't figure out if it was legal or not to restrict it. Obviously no one wanted to be first and then catch a lawsuit over banning someone's bullshit ESA with a note they got from an internet therapist.. Following the DOT's position, it gives everyone more clearance on how to set limits.

I guess the next question will be how to invalidate previously granted ESA allowances for those buildings that allowed them.

I know 98% of you will disagree but I see nothing wrong with taking pets in the passenger compartment, as long the animal doesn't have the capacity to be dangerous - looking at pitbulls - and isn't going to poo and pee .
All animals poop and pee.

Halle fucking lujah

I feel like with dogs, if I buy a seat for my dog, why can’t she just ride there for the trip regardless of size?

Because while you might be a sane and perfectly good person with a good dog. This is a country filled with millions and in those millions are insane people who don't understand their dog has no business being on a plane because it's a shit pet with a shit owner but they are to insane to see this.

They should make an exception for small animals, like: prairie dogs, gerbils, hamsters, kittens, ferrets, small bunnies.

Emotional support animals have been getting a bad rap lately and I hate to see it. I have had an emotional support sugar glider for 2 years now and he goes everywhere with me. Not sure how I would function without him. People against them just have no idea how valuable they are to us

You wouldn't be able to function properly even if your pet is taking a nap in a pet carrier sitting only a few inches away from your feet?

I know 98% of you will disagree but I see nothing wrong with taking pets in the passenger compartment, as long the animal doesn't have the capacity to be dangerous - looking at pitbulls - and isn't going to poo and pee .

Agree. I flew pre-pandemic and there was a lady sitting in front of me who had a huge iguana on her headrest. It was cool to look at. I also once had a golden lab come down the aisle and clean up some peanuts I had dropped. I got to pet him and say, "Good boy". Was the highlight of that boring ass flight.

(With that said, I fully understand why a plane full of animals could be literally hell for people allergic to pet dander.)

Update 2021: The Department of Transportation finally approved the airlines' request filed 3 years ago to ban all "emotional support animals" except trained & certified Service Dogs from planes cabins.

All other small "emotional support animals" are simply pets and needs to go in a pet carrier that fits under their owner's seat, while larger animals (pigs, peacocks, horses, goats, etc) needs to be transported in the cargo holds, where they can't bite other passengers and crap all over the cabin floor.

Thread Index

_____

Leave you Emotional Support Llamas/Peacocks/Hedgehogs/Goats/Ferrets/Chickens/Ducks/Pigs/Snakes at home, Sherdoggers!

Only Dogs, Cats, and Miniature Horses are allowed for the time being, while the Department of Transportion is considering the airlines' request to ban all "Emotional Support Animals" that aren't legitimately trained and certified Service Dogs.

JetBlue tightens rules for emotional support animals
By Hugo Martin | Jun 06, 2018​

JetBlue Airways has joined several other U.S. air carriers in adopting new restrictions on passengers who want to travel with emotional support animals by limiting the accepted animals to dogs, cats and miniature horses.

Like other carriers, JetBlue attributed the need for tighter rules to an increase in the number of onboard incidents involving untrained emotional support animals. Such incidents include biting, defecating, urinating and lunging at other passengers. Delta Air Lines said it has seen an 84% increase in such animal incidents since 2016.

“With these new policies, we’ve developed a thoughtful and collaborative approach to balance the needs of customers requiring assistance while responding to the extensive feedback we’ve received from customers and crew members concerned about their health and safety,” said John Allen, JetBlue’s vice president for safety.

The new policy doesn’t affect rules for service animals, which are trained to provide specific services for people with physical disabilities, such as blindness.

To fly with emotional support animals, JetBlue passengers must provide a signed document from the mental health professional who prescribed traveling with an animal and a letter from a veterinarian attesting to the animal’s vaccinations and fitness to fly. Passengers must sign a document, affirming that the animal is trained to behave appropriately in a plane and to accept all liabilities if the creature causes injuries or damage to the plane.

The documents must be submitted to JetBlue at least 48 hours before a flight, for all travel taken beginning July 1.

JetBlue will only allow one animal per passenger, and that animal must be a dog, cat or miniature horse.

American Airlines announced last month that it would ban several types of critters, including hedgehogs, goats, ferrets, chickens, birds of prey and snakes.

Airlines are required by the Air Carrier Access Act to allow passengers with a disability to travel with an animal that provides emotional support, and airlines aren’t allowed to charge for the service. But airline representatives have said they believe many people are taking advantage of the act to avoid paying animal transport fees.

Last month, the U.S. Department of Transportation said it won't take action against airlines if they refuse to let passengers take aboard more than one support animal, demand assurance that a passenger has a disability or require proof of an animal's vaccination and training.

The agency also will allow airlines to impose "reasonable restrictions" on the movement of emotional support animals in a plane's cabin. The Department of Transportation is also seeking public comment on possible additional regulations to further restrict the animals.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...pport-animals-20180606-story.html?cid=dlvr.it

Well....'Common Sense' has been on a losing streak of late. Nice to see it finally get back in the win column.

There are needed and real emotional support dogs that are trained and certified. That's the only kind that should be allowed on a plane.

The thing is it's too wide open with abuse. Like I said before to become an official support dog they should be trained and certified and only dogs.

Agreed.

I also think they need to let airlines charge for 'seats' for emotional support animals. Anyone who genuinely needs an emotional support animal to travel would probably not be opposed to buying a ticket for it. And a 'seat' for an emotional support animal should probably be more than for a person. Because they are more work. They piss, they shit, they shed. Other passengers might be allergic and need to be relocated. Extra work before, during and after.

Once they are paying full price and then some, we will find out how many of these emotional support animals are truly essential.

Agreed.

I also think they need to let airlines charge for 'seats' for emotional support animals. Anyone who genuinely needs an emotional support animal to travel would probably not be opposed to buying a ticket for it. And a 'seat' for an emotional support animal should probably be more than for a person. Because they are more work. They piss, they shit, they shed. Other passengers might be allergic and need to be relocated. Extra work before, during and after.

Once they are paying full price and then some, we will find out how many of these emotional support animals are truly essential.

Maybe but if they are trained and certified then they will be well behaved and well trained the same as any service dog. What you are doing is making the requirements for a support dog the same as a service dog. This will put a stop to the bull shit as the dogs are expensive once they are ready go into service. They would be treated the same as any service dog.

Maybe but if they are trained and certified then they will be well behaved and well trained the same as any service dog. What you are doing is making the requirements for a support dog the same as a service dog. This will put a stop to the bull shit as the dogs are expensive once they are ready go into service. They would be treated the same as any service dog.

Would you be outraged if you had to buy a ticket for your service dog if you had one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back