D.C. Schools?

The Man Monster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to D.C. next month for Job Corps and was wondering where I could train at around there?
I'd prefer a MMA style school, but if not then BJJ will do.

not sure on the mma, but yamasaki has a lot of locations in the area, david jacobs is one of the instructors there

Jeff Ruth has a school in Arlington VA and is part of Lloyd Irvin's group.

I would say you have to go to one of Lloyd Irvins schools. Lloyd is a great instructor as well as an award winning coach. Way back when I first checked out BJJ, I looked at Yamasaki's school. I wasn't real impressed. Not saying him or his guys arent good, but it just didn't hit me. Lloyds was different. Very intense, and alot of comeraderie there. I haven't been to Lloyd's in prolly 3 years. He's about an hour and a half from me, and just too far to travel. :(

http://www.lloydirvin.com/

not to impressed with yamasakis?
i thought the classes i have seen were ran very well and taught very well.
sorry you didnt get there on a good night.

I have heard great things about lyods school. Not sure if they focus on mma or mostly bjj

Capital Jujitsu, which is more in Alexandria, south of town- we just got a new expansion going on - gracieva.com

http://www.grappling.com/

http://www.mdcombatclub.com/

These are the two best schools in the DC area. I attended Yamasaki Academy before and it was very fun and the instructors knowledeable. Fernando Yamasaki (brother of Mario) runs the Rockville school.
One thing though. It is not cheap it runs $160 per month for unlimited classes. They also run a Thai Kickboxing school.

mxyzptlk said:
I train at Lloyd Irvin. I would recommend it to anyone...

www.novamma.com

I will be headed back to Maryland permanently in January. Do you get any thing for bringing people in? If so send me a private message. I plan or enrolling into Yamasaki Academy again. However, I will give Irvin and Maguilla's schools a try before I return to Yamasaki.

Once again, when I was looking to get back into BJJ a couple years ago, I went to check out Maguilla. It seemed like he took offense to me watching a class. It was really weird. Like he felt like I was spying or some shit like that. He even asked me to leave 1/2 way through the class. Came over to me and said "So you see enough?? Shook my hand and said if I had any more questions, to give him a call". I would say either Lloyd or Yamasaki, but I would lean towards Lloyds. Also, with Maguilla, it's (or at least was) in a health club. I would rather go to a dedicated BJJ facility. Lloyds also had Muay Thai, and when I used to go he had a Vale Tudo night. Lloyds was around 100-125 for unlimited. Not sure what it is now.

guardpasser said:
not to impressed with yamasakis?
i thought the classes i have seen were ran very well and taught very well.
sorry you didnt get there on a good night.

Yeah, this was along time ago. Prolly around '96 or '97. It could be I just didn't know what I was seeing etc. At the time Lloyds was still at his old school in Upper Marlboro and just seemed like a smaller class setting, etc. And like i said, it was nothing I could put my finger on about what I didn't like. It just didn't hit me.

Thanks for the props, guardpasser.

As always, the best advice is to check out several schools and see which one fits you the best.

If you have any questions about Yamasaki, send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.

Our main site:

www.grappling.com

My location:

www.grappling.com/chantilly.html

Flounder, '96 or '97? Wow! That was way back when Mario was teaching in that little warehouse that looked like a garage. lol!

Flounder said:
Once again, when I was looking to get back into BJJ a couple years ago, I went to check out Maguilla. It seemed like he took offense to me watching a class. It was really weird. Like he felt like I was spying or some shit like that. He even asked me to leave 1/2 way through the class. Came over to me and said "So you see enough?? Shook my hand and said if I had any more questions, to give him a call". I would say either Lloyd or Yamasaki, but I would lean towards Lloyds. Also, with Maguilla, it's (or at least was) in a health club. I would rather go to a dedicated BJJ facility. Lloyds also had Muay Thai, and when I used to go he had a Vale Tudo night. Lloyds was around 100-125 for unlimited. Not sure what it is now.
I've heard this about Maguilla before...but he let me even take a few classes for free before he even talked about signing up.
Its true that he teaches out of a health club (we are trying to get him to go and find a facility)..
We do everything at Maguilla's, though we also will focus on the tourny schedule...like when the Pan Am games are comming up, we focus more on Gi jiu jitsu, if a sub competition is comming up, more no-gi...we have vale tudo tues, friday, and on and off on sat.

Back