Law D.C. attorney general issues subpoenas to NRA and its charitable foundation

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lord Coke, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

It just is a train wreck this year

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/D-C-attorney-general-issues-subpoenas-to-NRA-and-14091245.php

WASHINGTON - The District of Columbia's attorney general issued subpoenas Friday to the National Rifle Association and its charitable foundation, putting additional pressure on the embattled gun rights organization from nonprofit regulators.

The office of Attorney General Karl Racine is seeking financial documents from the NRA and its foundation. The NRA Foundation is chartered in the District and the NRA is registered as a nonprofit and does business there.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO
    "The Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia has issued subpoenas to the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and the NRA Foundation, Inc., as part of an investigation into whether these entities violated the District's Nonprofit Act," Racine said in a statement.

He continued: "We are seeking documents from these two nonprofits detailing, among other things, their financial records, payments to vendors, and payments to officers and directors."

The NRA did not immediately return a request for comment.

Racine's office has jurisdiction over nonprofits and can bring an organization to court to dissolve or place into receivership a nonprofit that misuses funds or does not act in accord with its stated mission.

Racine's subpoenas come as the organization is under mounting internal and external pressure. They are the second state legal action taken against the NRA in recent months.

In April, New York Attorney General Letitia James also issued subpoenas to the NRA and its foundation seeking financial records about its tax-exempt status

Strychnine likes this.
  2. zebby23

zebby23 Silver Belt

Trump will tell them it's ok to defy the subpoenas... Patriotic American Donald Trump

Strychnine and M3t4tr0n like this.
  3. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Gun owner here.

AR-15 owner here

Hunter here.

I hope the NRA burns around LaPierre. Fuck him, fuck his cronies, and fuck the fucking snakes on that board of directors.

4. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

The NRA conned goober rednecks with their "cold dead hands" and "government gun grabbers" rhetoric. "Send us your money! We're the last bastion of freedom!"

It's much like the televangelist hustle. Takes in a lot of the same sad dopes, too.

Strychnine, tonni, nac386 and 6 others like this.
  5. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Platinum Member

Plus a dash of Russian spy whores.

6. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

Non-profit tax designation shouldn't exist. If you're not generating excess then you won't have a tax liability.

7. spamking

spamking Click, click, boom!

Perfect time for Gun Owners of America to step up . . .

tinker_190, MT7, floivanus and 3 others like this.
  8. spamking

Definitely time for the organization to wake up and stop catering to LaPierre . . . wish I could get a refund of my life membership.

9. RerouteToRemain

RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

Them and FPC are certainly trying. They are in the courts right now fighting. The problem is the fudds that blindly and vehemently defend the NRA no matter what instead of switching to actual pro gun orgs.

It's amazing to see online. Pro gun people call out the nra and their members defend them with calling the real pro gun people snowflakes. "Accessories aren't guns, who cares about bump stocks, suppressors, nfa, etc. Who cares about the lavish misspending of our donations, corruption, 7 figure saliers, etc look at all the good they've done."

floivanus, panamaican, Stoic1 and 4 others like this.
  10. spamking

I've actually read about people who think Oliver North was a plant meant to destroy the NRA from within by going after LaPierre.

Instead of trying to hold him accountable for horrible spending.

11. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

Yeah, it's been a culture war outrage machine for some time now.

Even if I don't agree with the political priorities of persons like Alan, I respect that he's genuine in his beliefs and advocates them honestly and isn't just hustling racist old white people out of their money.

It's a lot more complicated than that (nonprofits occupy a space where funding and costs, as well as the need to spend, are often erratic), but I agree in spirit that it's an issue that needs to be addressed: the business firm-like accumulations of economic power in nonprofits.

12. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

I get that, but lots of businesses have irregular income and expenditures. What are other possible ways to address it?

cottagecheesefan likes this.
  13. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

haha, I actually agree with this. I used to work for a non-profit nursing home, yet the president was and still currently is paid, literally, 3 times as much as people with similar positions at nursing homes within the same county. Some of those nursing homes being FOR profit. It is beyond ridiculous. Not to mention I left that company because they kept firing and replacing people higher up than me (but lower than him), because they couldn't meet ridiculous expectations to maximize profit that the president and the board of trustees wanted.

edit: I mean, I am sure there are benefits being non-profit that actually help the community, but I am not privy to that. I actually don't know what it would be, since there are an equal amount of FOR-profit nursing homes.

14. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

They need to clean house and get back to doing what members pay them to do.

Gregolian and RerouteToRemain like this.
  15. PHATV

PHATV FREE RR!!! Double Yellow Card

Maybe they have current issues (I'm not fully up-to-date on the goings on), but absent the NRA a young man such as yourself wouldn't even be able to own an AR-15 at this point.

16. ocfightfan

ocfightfan Gold Belt

The truth is that these so called DA's are political pieces of shit in human form. That said the NRA and the gun industry needs to clean up it's act and stop relying on left wing shit heads to galvanize support and drive sales.

PainIsLIfe likes this.
  17. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

You should be thanking us NRA donors for fighting for your rights.

Do you think LaPierre can successfully lobby without that suit collection of is? I spent a lot of money on that wardrobe and I'll be damned if you go and join that GOA

/s if not obvious

Kafir-kun, floivanus and Gregolian like this.
  18. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

NRA tell you that?

19. Sycho Sid

Sycho Sid Master of the world and the universe Yellow Card

Only when Dem are in power

20. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot

Sometimes you have to destroy the village in order to save it.