CZ-75, Springfield XD, Ruger SR9, or Berreta PX-4?

CarloSpcyWeiner

Desert Eagle, .50
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the market for a new 9mm in the under $550 range. What are your guys experience with each of these guns? Ive shot all except the PX-4, but am headed to the range Saturday to test it out. Im leaning towards the CZ-75, but it tends to be the most expensive. Thoughts?

CZ-75 seems cheap to me but that might be because I got cash for a 1911 or a sig, for 5 bills the CZ look good, but I not expert,just personal opinion, I'm pretty nooby compared to a lot of the guys in the weapons section.

I own a Springfield XD; I have no complaints, except for a part that broke a few rounds in that kept it from cycling properly. Springfield covered it, no questions asked and sent the part over. Very affordable too and has a lot of features (ambi release, several safety mechanisms).

Anywho, I tried the CZ75 as well and the first thing I noticed that it's very hefty; if I recall, it's all metal or mostly metal compared to the XD which has a polymer frame. If you have larger hands, the CZ will be a perfect fit; I have Asian hands so I had a hard time reaching the trigger and it resulted in a really uncomfortable grip.

In the end, you're better off finding the one that feels best in your hands. I REALLY wanted the CZ, but considering that I couldn't handle it properly, I had no problem choosing an alternative.

The CZ-75 is rugged and based on the time tested Browning Hi-Power. It's a great gun for the money. You may also want to look at the most recently KBI/Charles Daly imported Jericho/Baby Eagle which is a CZ copy that has a little more heft to it and has polygonal rifling which imparts a very slight bit more power to the round and is imho easier to clean. The only real complaint I've ever heard about them is that most Jericho's come with a slide mounted safety/decocker though you can occasionally find them with a frame mounted safety(particularly if you buy an older Jericho 941 model, which btw should come with two barrels to fire both 9mm and the rare .41 AE calibre round so if you look at that option make sure you get what you pay for). They may be a bit tough to find accessories for at this point since KBI shut it's doors.

I own a Springfield XD; I have no complaints, except for a part that broke a few rounds in that kept it from cycling properly. Springfield covered it, no questions asked and sent the part over. Very affordable too and has a lot of features (ambi release, several safety mechanisms).

Anywho, I tried the CZ75 as well and the first thing I noticed that it's very hefty; if I recall, it's all metal or mostly metal compared to the XD which has a polymer frame. If you have larger hands, the CZ will be a perfect fit; I have Asian hands so I had a hard time reaching the trigger and it resulted in a really uncomfortable grip.

In the end, you're better off finding the one that feels best in your hands. I REALLY wanted the CZ, but considering that I couldn't handle it properly, I had no problem choosing an alternative.

The grip of the Ruger, XD, and CZ all felt great, and each fired well with the Ruger being the least accurate, but not by much. It is the least expensive afterall.

And you're right, the CZ is a bit heftier, and it took a little more to reach the trigger comfortably, but the recoil was nothing, and it seemed the most accurate. It is a steel frame, so a bit hard to compare to the other guns.

There's really only one thing I don't like about the XD, and thats that I think it's butt ugly.... Which i guess shouldn't matter much, but I tend to get weird about how a handgun looks at times. It is the most functional, and seems to be almost built like a survival tool, like the kind of gun you'd want when sh*t hits the fan. It shot great, never had any issues at the range, and it's definitely under consideration.

Thanks for the input guys.

The CZ-75 is rugged and based on the time tested Browning Hi-Power. It's a great gun for the money. You may also want to look at the most recently KBI/Charles Daly imported Jericho/Baby Eagle which is a CZ copy that has a little more heft to it and has polygonal rifling which imparts a very slight bit more power to the round and is imho easier to clean. The only real complaint I've ever heard about them is that most Jericho's come with a slide mounted safety/decocker though you can occasionally find them with a frame mounted safety(particularly if you buy an older Jericho 941 model, which btw should come with two barrels to fire both 9mm and the rare .41 AE calibre round so if you look at that option make sure you get what you pay for). They may be a bit tough to find accessories for at this point since KBI shut it's doors.

I actually did look into Jerichos, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, and its a bit hard to find one with the 10 round magazines (I live in California, and I hate that law, but I got to conform to it). But its good to here that the CZ is a rugged gun. More than anything else, I want a handgunt that I can rely on to fire every time I pull the trigger. Thanks for the input.

In terms of quality CZ is the best and Ruger is the worst (within those mentionned). Springfield and the Baby Eagle are somewhere in the middle.

They are not the same price though and they are all good guns.

For that price range, I'd get a CZ, a Glock 17 or a Steyr M9 (if you can find one).

Steyr is the shit man, it's basically a Glock with better ergonomics. Ultra reliable and feels good in the hand. Everyone that I know who tried one were instantly sold (and I'm not biaised, I don't even have one yet).

steyrm9a1.jpg

Don't know much about their handguns, but i've got a CZ .22 Hornet that's been to hell and back and still functions flawlessly. It's dropped more deer than i can count, from Texas to Alaska.

CZ's are nice but heavy. I prefer polymer guns and would go with an XD out of your list. You could also look at Glocks and Smith and Wesson M&P's. One thing to also consider is the cost/availability of magazines and accessories.

cz's are great guns and will be more accurate than you are. they are heavy but i dont mind the extra weight at all. then again mine is just for home defense and range shooting fun.

ive fired all guns mentioned and i prefer the cz. the ruger had a bit mroe kick to it though i remember enjoying it, but the grip felt so bland, just like a peice of wood. i really enjoy the px4 but wasnt as accurate with it for some reason.
the second i fired an XD i really liked it. accurate, a good pointer, nice big sights (my cz's are a bit small and narrow). for a first gun you couldnt go wrong really, and springfields customer service is widely regarded

boring tried and true answer, shoot themall and pick what feels most comfortable to you. then take into consideration price and stuff down the road, such as availability of customization/add ons

In terms of quality CZ is the best and Ruger is the worst (within those mentionned). Springfield and the Baby Eagle are somewhere in the middle.

They are not the same price though and they are all good guns.

For that price range, I'd get a CZ, a Glock 17 or a Steyr M9 (if you can find one).

Steyr is the shit man, it's basically a Glock with better ergonomics. Ultra reliable and feels good in the hand. Everyone that I know who tried one were instantly sold (and I'm not biaised, I don't even have one yet).

steyrm9a1.jpg

If I could find a Steyr thats Cali legal, it would be SOLD. A while back when I was around 15, my dad took me to a Texas range that had one of those I believe. I just remember it was a Steyr 9mm, was comfortable, and made me look like a good shot.

CZ's are nice but heavy. I prefer polymer guns and would go with an XD out of your list. You could also look at Glocks and Smith and Wesson M&P's. One thing to also consider is the cost/availability of magazines and accessories.

I really don't want a Glock. They tend to annoy me with how much of a brick they are in your hand. Really uncomfortable. They have average accuracy and really good reliability, but it literally feels like I'm holding a gad damn brick or something.

I would go with an M&P, but they hiked the price up a bit lately. The reason I'm going for the Ruger, Springfield, Berreta, and CZ is because I shot them all, liked them, and found them for under $500 each and all are California legal. I can only spend about $600 total, including ammunition and spare magazines if necessary.

cz's are great guns and will be more accurate than you are. they are heavy but i dont mind the extra weight at all. then again mine is just for home defense and range shooting fun.

ive fired all guns mentioned and i prefer the cz. the ruger had a bit mroe kick to it though i remember enjoying it, but the grip felt so bland, just like a peice of wood. i really enjoy the px4 but wasnt as accurate with it for some reason.
the second i fired an XD i really liked it. accurate, a good pointer, nice big sights (my cz's are a bit small and narrow). for a first gun you couldnt go wrong really, and springfields customer service is widely regarded

boring tried and true answer, shoot themall and pick what feels most comfortable to you. then take into consideration price and stuff down the road, such as availability of customization/add ons

I've shot all but the PX-4 which I'm shooting this weekend to see for myself. I'm relatively neutral to the grip as long as it doesn't feel like a Glock, but the best fit in my hand was the Springfield, and my best group was with the CZ.

Can't go wrong with Springfield and their lifetime warranty. CZ's are nice too but a bit heavy. Don't see why you need the extra weight when the gun is going to be chambered in 9mm.

Can't go wrong with Springfield and their lifetime warranty. CZ's are nice too but a bit heavy. Don't see why you need the extra weight when the gun is going to be chambered in 9mm.

The CZ is a bit heavier, but so are most handguns that are steel frame. It's the main reason I haven't just decided to buy the CZ, but it's still more accurate than the other pistols and from what I've heard, more reliable.

Just go with whatever you like the best. The guns you mentioned are too different to make any real comparison, striker/hammer fired, steel/poly frame, safeties, etc. They are all quality firearms that will serve you well. Whichever one you feel the most comfortable operating the controls of should be your choice.

Another option you might want to consider is a Sig 2022. Turners and a couple websites have had them for $400 recently.

Out of your choices I would get the CZ. Out of the 3 poly framed pistols you mentioned I would get the XD. But I would feel gypped getting a one of the poly framed pistols you mentioned when a Glock or M&P is just slightly more expensive(I own an M&P9).

EDIT: If you are on a really tight budget don't forget to add transfer fees and the handgun safety certificate fee into your total cost.

I would stay away from Sig, their quality control has gone in the toilet.

None, spend a little more and get a glock or M&P. Or a lot more and get an H&K.

Why so cheap on a weapon? It's a damn weapon! Your life may depend on its quality...

Research some more while you save up.

Lurk at M4carbine.net

Plenty of really serious shooters and trainers to steer you right.

I forgot to mention you should check out the forums at calguns.net. Lots of good info there for the California gun owner.

Just go with whatever you like the best. The guns you mentioned are too different to make any real comparison, striker/hammer fired, steel/poly frame, safeties, etc. They are all quality firearms that will serve you well. Whichever one you feel the most comfortable operating the controls of should be your choice.

Another option you might want to consider is a Sig 2022. Turners and a couple websites have had them for $400 recently.

Out of your choices I would get the CZ. Out of the 3 poly framed pistols you mentioned I would get the XD. But I would feel gypped getting a one of the poly framed pistols you mentioned when a Glock or M&P is just slightly more expensive(I own an M&P9).

EDIT: If you are on a really tight budget don't forget to add transfer fees and the handgun safety certificate fee into your total cost.

I am on a bit of a tight budget, like I said, I only have around $600 to spare. I need to look into what the total costs are going to be including the safety certificate.

I forgot to mention you should check out the forums at calguns.net. Lots of good info there for the California gun owner.

I'll definitely check out that forum, thanks.

In the market for a new 9mm in the under $550 range. What are your guys experience with each of these guns? Ive shot all except the PX-4, but am headed to the range Saturday to test it out. Im leaning towards the CZ-75, but it tends to be the most expensive. Thoughts?

Haha I was deciding between the XD or XDM and the CZ-75 P-01

my dad has a cz, and its been a very good gun, it was cheap. i have an XD and i would not change that.

i havent really noticed a HUGE amount of difference in how they shoot, other than the trigger. but i will say this, in 1500 rounds, i have not had a singe jam in my gun, he has a jam in his CZ.....maybe one in every 300 or so rounds

Back