CytoGainer Flavor Review

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
60,775
Reaction score
23,830
Cytosport's CytoGainer has become my second highest recommendation for a weight gainer powder due to its composition (behind the more expensive Dymatize Mega Milk). And we all know Cytosport's reputation for delivering on taste. So I bought my first couple tubs of it: Chocolate Mint Chip and Cookies and Creme (because I loved the Muscle Milk version of that flavor so much).

I can't explain why (since the contents of CytoGainer are so similar to Muscle Milk's), but the Cookies and Creme tastes like crap. I didn't enjoy drinking it with skim milk at all, and the MM version with skim milk tastes like a freaking Oreo Milkshake (you were right Kabuki, you were right, my friend, and damn them all the hell the liars who feign to disagree). Fact is, I preferred both the plain Vanilla and Chocolate N-Large's I had last year.

Score: 3/10

The Chocolate Mint Chip: now THIS is what I'm talking about! This one tastes more like the oreo's I've come to expect from my CS protein powders, but with a mint twist. Really, there's not much more to it than that. It tastes exactly like its name would suggest.

Score: 9/10

*For the scores, keep in mind that average should be scaled to 5, not a 6 or a 7, which I have noticed people automatically assume. When was the last time you saw someone at IMDb rate a movie a "5" and then say, "It was so-so."? Not often. Usually they're trashing the film.

CYTOGAINER FLAVORS:
Banana Creme
Chocolate
Chocolate Mint Chip
Cookies and Creme
Rocky Road
Strawberry Creme
Vanilla
 
Mick, I had the same CNC experience. Severely disappointed.

Your right on as for the rest of it also.
 
Chad Hamilton said:
Mick, I had the same CNC experience. Severely disappointed.

Your right on as for the rest of it also.

Thanks, Chad. You tried any of the other flavors?

I was hoping everyone would add their reviews and scores, especially for the less popular flavors I didn't cover (like Banana Creme).
 
i just got cytosport complete whey coco bean. when i open it tmr, ill let you know how it is. whats the diff b/t they whey and the gainer? just more calories im guessing?
 
Madmick said:
Fact is, I preferred both the plain Vanilla and Chocolate N-Large's I had last year.

hey mick.. so the vanilla N-large is a good flavor? i've heard the general majority say chocolate is the way to go with most and that most vanilla flavored weight gain powders taste horrible.. but i'm willing to try it out if it's good! :wink:
 
the cytosport complete whey is really good, just as good at the MM. only 16g pro. per serving, i usually do two servings at once
 
Tkdmmafighter said:
i just got cytosport complete whey coco bean. when i open it tmr, ill let you know how it is. whats the diff b/t they whey and the gainer? just more calories im guessing?

The whey is just whey protein. The Cytogainer has carbs (maltodextrin) and fats (MCT's especially) in addition to a blend of wheys as well as some creatine and glutamine.

*EDIT* This is wrong. There are no MCT's in Cytogainer.
 
supersudo said:
hey mick.. so the vanilla N-large is a good flavor? i've heard the general majority say chocolate is the way to go with most and that most vanilla flavored weight gain powders taste horrible.. but i'm willing to try it out if it's good! :wink:

Definitely chocolate is the way to go.
 
Madmick said:
The whey is just whey protein. The Cytogainer has carbs (maltodextrin) and fats (MCT's especially) in addition to a blend of wheys as well as some creatine and glutamine.



well, heres another dumb question, but since were talkin about cytosport, whats the differnce b/t the MM and gainer?
 
Tkdmmafighter said:
well, heres another dumb question, but since were talkin about cytosport, whats the differnce b/t the MM and gainer?
Carbs.

Actually, I'm wrong about CytoGainer. It has no MCT's. That's cool, though, I can buy MCT powder separately and add it. It's a good thing it won't take much, because that stuff's expensive ($15-18/lb).

Cytosport is very popular in here, TKD, so I'm actually starting a new thread to answer this question.
 
1. Vanilla
2. Chocolate
3. Chocolate Mint
4. Strawberry
5. CNC
6. Banana
 
Vanilla #1? That's a major surprise. Do you typically like Vanillas more than Chocolate, or is this a special case, where the Vanilla is like, "OMG, that's better than everything else?"

Usually vanilla's at the bottom of my list.

BTW, good post. Thanks for the rankings.
 
hey guys.. i was wondering what muscle milk flavor is good? i know cookies and cream is best but the place i get it from is out of stock.. :icon_cry2
 
supersudo said:
hey guys.. i was wondering what muscle milk flavor is good? i know cookies and cream is best but the place i get it from is out of stock.. :icon_cry2



of course chocolate milk, banana cream and vanilla are good. they are ther only ones i have used b/s cookeis and creme
 
i get banana cream in the MM. never tried any others, if it ain't broke...
 
supersudo said:
hey guys.. i was wondering what muscle milk flavor is good? i know cookies and cream is best but the place i get it from is out of stock.. :icon_cry2

There's an entire thread devoted to this with many more responses than in this one (since MM is much more popular than Cytogainer). I can't remember if I started it. So search for Muscle Milk, Sudo, and probably for threads started under my handle.
 
So would this be a good idea to take in addition to the protein shakes? I was considering adding an MRP to my diet everyday because I havent been putting on much weight.
 
physicaltherapy said:
so the cookies and creame for cytogainer definitely tastes like crap.........
I gotta say, I got sick of the Mint Chocolate quick. I don't enjoy either in plain water.

That's how it was with N-Large, though, too. My friends experienced the same thing with weight gainers. Don't know what it is. You just get sick of the flavor faster than protein powders.
 
Back
Top