Cyborg all of a sudden seems fine with facing a 135lber...

When asked about fighting Nunes in a superfight, Cybro said she doesn't want that fight. Would rather fight another Featherweight to build up the division rather than fight the Bantamweight Champion

Now signs to fight someone who's 1-1-1 AT BANTAMWEIGHT in her last 3 fights, 2-2-1 in last 5. Including a loss to Tonya Evinger, who had no business being in the cage with Cybro at Featherweight previously.

Yeah, that's hypocrisy.

Cool story bro.......

Nunes and Cyborg are good friends.....

Build it from what? That is the issue. The division is a fucking shit-show of talent. The top ten at 145 (other than Cyborg) have a lower winning percentage when facing women who move up from 135 than they do fighting women in their own damn weight class.

And I never said women cease to exist above 135. Even as straw-man arguments go, that was shitty.

I didn't mean to imply that *you* said it when I said "please don't tell me...", it was meant as a general statement as we keep hearing that 'there is no talent, there is no talent'...which I think is bullshit.

I maintain that there is not some sudden drop off of women above 135...not when there are thousands of women competing in boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, judo, BJJ, and training in straight up MMA programs.

So where are they? ask the UFC, not me...it's the UFC's job to identify and recruit them. That they aren't in the UFC now certainly does not mean there are none to be found.

Like I said...the UFC could invest in the division and rally around Cyborg the way it did with Ronda. It appears that the UFC won't, which suggests that Cyborg might just bail when her contract is up, which does not bode well for the division.

If ratings are down, star power is thin, and cards are watered down...why the UFC isn't doing more to build 145 around Cyborg is beyond me.

What happened to the impassioned speech about building a division, opponents having to fight ranked fighters in the 145lb division before facing her, not fighting against natural 135lbers etc?

Now that she's not facing Nunes but instead the unknown Kunitskaya all these concerns have miraculously vanished. How does it make any logical sense to think it's ok to fight a unknown 135lber who recently lost to Tonya Evinger but be all up in arms about facing the 135lb UFC champion.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it's most probably a duck
And a duck with a dick

But that was her issue, she didn't wanna sacrifice the future of her division for a superfight and more money. She wanted to build 145. That changed once a fight against a scrub came along.

And get the fuck outta here with saving the card. Cyborg isn't a draw. Holly and Khabib carried her last card to 350k buys and that's not even an amazing number.

Her vs a complete unknown with nothing going for her wouldn't draw flies to shit. Edgar vs Ortega is the real Main Event and Cyborg being on this card isn't "saving it", it's making it decidedly worse.

This stain on the sport needs to go away forever when she's done ducking legit competition.
This is a job, And people do it for money. Not honor or glory. She saved a card And is paid Anderson money. Nothing to be upset about. What do you want Cyborg to do instead? Sit And wait?

I thought making 135 "would kill her"? Once she makes that weight she'll have no excuses left to not face Ronda Rousey. ;)

Why are people having a fit over Cyborg agreeing to fight a can to ^help^ save a card? She's doing the UFC a favor here. You guys should be rightfully bitching if she had this fight via full training camp.
Because hypocrisy needs to be called out for what it is.

Oh look, a Cybro fan with no way to defend her hypocrisy
She doesn't want to fight another Brazlian champ unless its for a super fight, so what?

Do you actually think Nunes even has anything on her? Lmao

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that *you* said it when I said "please don't tell me...", it was meant as a general statement as we keep hearing that 'there is no talent, there is no talent'...which I think is bullshit.

I maintain that there is not some sudden drop off of women above 135...not when there are thousands of women competing in boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, judo, BJJ, and training in straight up MMA programs.

So where are they? ask the UFC, not me...it's the UFC's job to identify and recruit them. That they aren't in the UFC now certainly does not mean there are none to be found.

Like I said...the UFC could invest in the division and rally around Cyborg the way it did with Ronda. It appears that the UFC won't, which suggests that Cyborg might just bail when her contract is up, which does not bode well for the division.

If ratings are down, star power is thin, and cards are watered down...why the UFC isn't doing more to build 145 around Cyborg is beyond me.

Really there are precious few. Some in judo, some in BJJ, but in striking the numbers are surprising small. Not just because fewer women practice the striking arts - and yes it shows - but there does seem to be a drop off that defies the statistical bell curves for female athletes.

And going back to 145 and the UFC, who are they going to build it with? Sure, they can over a very great deal of time, but even now if you got every WFW in the world together, it is a shit-show of talent. Until feeder orgs start producing women worth a shit at 145, there is no one. IMO, the UFC should never have signed Cyborg, because this signing causes more problems than it solves.

And going back to 145 and the UFC, who are they going to build it with? Sure, they can over a very great deal of time, but even now if you got every WFW in the world together, it is a shit-show of talent. Until feeder orgs start producing women worth a shit at 145, there is no one. IMO, the UFC should never have signed Cyborg, because this signing causes more problems than it solves.

You can't "build" a division by bringing in one woman per year to get thrashed by Cyborg and then letting them drop back down to 135 or sending back to Invicta or wherever they came from. It's been over a year since the UFC started WFW and it's still a division of 2, one is Cyborg and the other is inactive indefinitely for some undisclosed reason. And they just signed Yana, ok, great, who the fuck is she going to fight at 145 after Cyborg? No one. So odds are she goes back down to 135 and the UFC gets to repeat this shitshow until Cyborg's contract runs out.

If the UFC actually wants to build 145 they needed to poach every fighter they can get their hands on so they have a core of at least a dozen fighters who can match up with each other. And at the the same time they need to invest heavily in the feeder orgs to keep the pipeline filled so they can continue filling out the division. But they didn't do any of that, which implies that they don't have any long term plans for the division and they're likely looking to dump it sooner or later. Either that or they're fucking incompetent, which is entirely possible.

You can't "build" a division by bringing in one woman per year to get thrashed by Cyborg and then letting them drop back down to 135 or sending back to Invicta or wherever they came from. It's been over a year since the UFC started WFW and it's still a division of 2, one is Cyborg and the other is inactive indefinitely for some undisclosed reason. And they just signed Yana, ok, great, who the fuck is she going to fight at 145 after Cyborg? No one. So odds are she goes back down to 135 and the UFC gets to repeat this shitshow until Cyborg's contract runs out.

If the UFC actually wants to build 145 they needed to poach every fighter they can get their hands on so they have a core of at least a dozen fighters who can match up with each other. And at the the same time they need to invest heavily in the feeder orgs to keep the pipeline filled so they can continue filling out the division. But they didn't do any of that, which implies that they don't have any long term plans for the division and they're likely looking to dump it sooner or later. Either that or they're fucking incompetent, which is entirely possible.

Agree. My other point remains, though. Other 145 lbs. fighters are pretty much non-existent in terms of talent. If the UFC was to put real money behind it, maybe 6-8 years down the road there might be something of worth. But your top talent at 145 is mediocre even by the standards of 135. When the top ten at 145 have a lower winning percentage facing 135 lbs. women that ladies who remain at 145, well, there is no other class you can say something so ridiculous about.

And Cybro nuthuggers like you will disregard her blatant hypocrisy to praise her actions.
Sure man. Pointing out the flaw in the op is nutthugging. Twist it however you need.
If you don’t like her just say you don’t like her regardless of her actions. But don’t pretend like the example in this thread has anything to do with ducking or picking weak opponents.

Really there are precious few. Some in judo, some in BJJ, but in striking the numbers are surprising small. Not just because fewer women practice the striking arts - and yes it shows - but there does seem to be a drop off that defies the statistical bell curves for female athletes.

IMHO, talent and depth is secondary to having Cyborg fight as often as possible. whether she is smashing peers or pretenders, the masses won't care...just as they didn't care when Ronda was running through opponents, and with a sub everyone knew was coming. they either tuned in to witness greatness or with the hopes that someone would wipe the smug look off her face.

imagine if Dana and UFC try promoting Cyborg with the same gushing enthusiasm and positivity that Ronda enjoyed? and loosened the purse strings to lure in opponents?

surely the 145 division can't look any worse than it does now. Throw some money at it and get Dana to feign a little interest instead of being a curmudgeonly old bitch all the time and maybe the wider audience buys in.

Agree. My other point remains, though. Other 145 lbs. fighters are pretty much non-existent in terms of talent. If the UFC was to put real money behind it, maybe 6-8 years down the road there might be something of worth. But your top talent at 145 is mediocre even by the standards of 135. When the top ten at 145 have a lower winning percentage facing 135 lbs. women that ladies who remain at 145, well, there is no other class you can say something so ridiculous about.

No doubt about it. Women's 145 will essentially need to be built from the ground up, it's a long term project where we won't see results for quite some time.

IMHO, talent and depth is secondary to having Cyborg fight as often as possible. whether she is smashing peers or pretenders, the masses won't care...just as they didn't care when Ronda was running through opponents, and with a sub everyone knew was coming. they either tuned in to witness greatness or with the hopes that someone would wipe the smug look off her face.

imagine if Dana and UFC try promoting Cyborg with the same gushing enthusiasm and positivity that Ronda enjoyed? and loosened the purse strings to lure in opponents?

surely the 145 division can't look any worse than it does now. Throw some money at it and get Dana to feign a little interest instead of being a curmudgeonly old bitch all the time and maybe the wider audience buys in.

So the first part of your post is where we are going to disagree completely. I cannot stand squash matches. Did not like them with Fedor, etc. I want quality fights, and to be a great fighter you have to fight great fights. Until that happens, well, there are no end of can crushers and that is far more about $$$$ (yes, I am well aware of how promotional companies work) that fighting itself.

And Cyborg will never be as promotable as Ronda. While not a fan of hers, well, Cyborg did not start out looking great and AAS use has not done her any favors. Appearance plays a huge factor here, as you well know.

So the first part of your post is where we are going to disagree completely. I cannot stand squash matches. Did not like them with Fedor, etc. I want quality fights, and to be a great fighter you have to fight great fights. Until that happens, well, there are no end of can crushers and that is far more about $$$$ (yes, I am well aware of how promotional companies work) that fighting itself.

And Cyborg will never be as promotable as Ronda. While not a fan of hers, well, Cyborg did not start out looking great and AAS use has not done her any favors. Appearance plays a huge factor here, as you well know.

we agree on the first part (I don't care for squash matches either)...but we are both hardcore fans who follow the sport closely. chances are that we are already tuning in, regardless.

The success or downfall of a 145 division, or hitting PPV thresholds, does not hinge on *our* approval...it hinges on whether the wider audience buys in. IMHO, Cyborg fighting 2-3 times per year is a key in achieving that goal...even if it means her smashing cans (rather than having the super competitive fights that you or I might prefer).

For sure Cyborg is different than Ronda, both in appearance and given her past. She can't be marketed in exactly the same manner and she won't have the same appeal to fans...but why not put more of the heft of the UFC marketing machine behind her, they way it was behind Ronda and Conor?

so the consensus GOAT is on the roster, never in a boring fight, and we're debating whether there can even be a division for her? surely the UFC can do better!

Back