Locked Cyberpunk 2077 **Delayed**(Release: December 10th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I hear about this game, the more it seems like CDPR is attempting to challenge Bethesda in a space where they have little competition, the FP-Rpg.

I honestly think this game is going to be what alot of us were expecting from FO4 with the world crafting and choice making they failed miserably on in that game.

I'm curious as to why they would make it first-person with a fully customizable character (unless you can switch between first and third person, but that doesn't sound like it).

Kinda reminds me of when I spent over an hour making my character in Eve Online, only to realize I'll never actually see my character 99% of the time because I'll be inside of a spaceship.

I'm curious as to why they would make it first-person with a fully customizable character (unless you can switch between first and third person, but that doesn't sound like it).

Kinda reminds me of when I spent over an hour making my character in Eve Online, only to realize I'll never actually see my character 99% of the time because I'll be inside of a spaceship.

They did say there would be multiple ways to see your character. Maybe mirrors and reflections?

They did say there would be multiple ways to see your character. Maybe mirrors and reflections?
Maybe. I'd think that the viewing system that Bethesda uses for their RPG's would be the most optimal solution. Mirrors and reflections would be cool, but it really isn't quite the same as seeing your created character whenever you'd like to.

DOes anybody here actually play the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG? Im wondering what exactly the differences are between CP and Shadowrun. Is it more than just the fantasy/magic aspects?

The more I hear about this game, the more it seems like CDPR is attempting to challenge Bethesda in a space where they have little competition, the FP-Rpg.

I honestly think this game is going to be what alot of us were expecting from FO4 with the world crafting and choice making they failed miserably on in that game.

Doesnt really seem like a challenge, though. The games are gonna be so far apart it hardly feels like theyd be competing. Which is fine by me. More games that have me disappear into another world for hundreds of hours is a good thing, even better if I dont have to choose between them.

DOes anybody here actually play the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG? Im wondering what exactly the differences are between CP and Shadowrun. Is it more than just the fantasy/magic aspects?

I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life but I love dat Counter Monkey series Spoony used to do and he'd always be talking about Cyberpunk. I can't really remember differences except obviously Shadowrun has trolls and magic and dragons and shit like that. I think Shadowrun also has more emphasis on hacking, where hacking is like a completely separate game/world. To the point where some DM's wouldn't allow deckers/hackers into the game because hacking just ruined the flow and forced everyone else to hang around waiting for them to do their shit.

But one thing that was really cool about Cyberpunk was they'd release catalogues just full of mods that you could give to your characters. Just throwing out all kinds of tech to give players ideas. It was a series called Chrome. I downloaded them all in case I end up writing some crappy Cyberpunk some day and needed dat inspiration. Although they were written decades ago now so they're a little dated to say the least

If you got a spare 40 minutes to listen to some asshole rambling about Cyberpunk the RPG, here's the video Spoony did around the time he first found out that CDPR were making Cyberpunk 2077

Shadowrun is based on the idea that magic exists but it goes away and comes back in cycles of few thousand years (depicted in the mayan calendar) and with magic you get the usual fantasy stuff that is mixed with futuristic dystopia. Same theme in both IMO but I would say Shadowrun is generic cyberpunk stuff that has gotten magic stuff thrown into it.

I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life but I love dat Counter Monkey series Spoony used to do and he'd always be talking about Cyberpunk.

Damn, I liked Spoony a lot. Too bad he had those mental and physical health issues that kind of burned him out.

who gives a fuck about it being FPS only. Its coming from a studio who has proven themselves. Stop crying, you know your gonna get quality and good product. You get more immersion from it being in FPS, i dont understand all the crying

Fingers crossed that gameplay wise this will be what Fallout 4 should have been. Still bummed at how disappointing that was.

who gives a fuck about it being FPS only. Its coming from a studio who has proven themselves. Stop crying, you know your gonna get quality and good product. You get more immersion from it being in FPS, i dont understand all the crying
It's because every goddamn game has to be a FPS now, to the point it's shoving fans of other genres out of the market. I get shooters are the most popular genre, but it would be nice if they made a few games a year for everyone else. It's been a slow creep of making everything bad Call of Duty. Looking at you Fallout 4 with most of the rpg elements quietly stripped out.

It's because every goddamn game has to be a FPS now, to the point it's shoving fans of other genres out of the market. I get shooters are the most popular genre, but it would be nice if they made a few games a year for everyone else. It's been a slow creep of making everything bad Call of Duty. Looking at you Fallout 4 with most of the rpg elements quietly stripped out.

The game is a spiritual successor to Deus Ex which was a first person RPG

First person was around long before Call of Duty, and personally I love that they've gone in that direction for Cyberpunk

The game is a spiritual successor to Deus Ex which was a first person RPG

First person was around long before Call of Duty, and personally I love that they've gone in that direction for Cyberpunk
That's fine and all, was just addressing why some people might not like the idea of first person. With Fallout in particular, moving to first person was the start of slowly phasing out the rpg elements in favor of a generic shooter. There are lots, and lots, and lots of FPS games without the tiny fraction of rpgs being turned into shooters too.

Of course I'll wait to see what gameplay looks like. Really hoping for a fallout/shadowrun hybrid and it'll be a day one purchase for me if that's the case.

That's fine and all, was just addressing why some people might not like the idea of first person. With Fallout in particular, moving to first person was the start of slowly phasing out the rpg elements in favor of a generic shooter. There are lots, and lots, and lots of FPS games without the tiny fraction of rpgs being turned into shooters too.

Of course I'll wait to see what gameplay looks like. Really hoping for a fallout/shadowrun hybrid and it'll be a day one purchase for me if that's the case.

I think the main difference is Bethesda sucks and CDPR are good. I assume Fallout went 1st person primarily because of V.A.T.S., the degradation of the writing and RPG mechanics may have been part of it but could've just as easily been the result of them slipping in quality regardless.

I think the main difference is Bethesda sucks and CDPR are good. I assume Fallout went 1st person primarily because of V.A.T.S., the degradation of the writing and RPG mechanics may have been part of it but could've just as easily been the result of them slipping in quality regardless.
Well it's all subjective but imo Fallout 3 and New Vegas are incredible. I didn't want FPS, but realistically the days of big budget isomeric rpgs are over. Those games had a rich and rewarding leveling system, quests that actually changed depending on your choices, and the best atmosphere and exploration I've ever seen in a game. Incredibly fun and immersive.

But they dropped the ball hard with Fallout 4. Just a weak FPS with an rpg skin over it. Akin to X-com, Plants vs zombies, and Shadowrun making a FPS version, it came off like a blatant cash grab with no regard for the source material. It's annoying seeing some of your favorite franchises rebooted into (low quality) shooters in a market VERY oversaturated with shooters. So I'd say that's what people are worried about when they see a promising IP is going to be first person. But like I said I'll be paying close attention to any gameplay footage. Because it's certainly possible to do a great FPS rpg.

Well it's all subjective but imo Fallout 3 and New Vegas are incredible. I didn't want FPS, but realistically the days of big budget isomeric rpgs are over. Those games had a rich and rewarding leveling system, quests that actually changed depending on your choices, and the best atmosphere and exploration I've ever seen in a game. Incredibly fun and immersive.

But they dropped the ball hard with Fallout 4. Just a weak FPS with an rpg skin over it. Akin to X-com, Plants vs zombies, and Shadowrun making a FPS version, it came off like a blatant cash grab with no regard for the source material. It's annoying seeing some of your favorite franchises rebooted into (low quality) shooters in a market VERY oversaturated with shooters. So I'd say that's what people are worried about when they see a promising IP is going to be first person. But like I said I'll be paying close attention to any gameplay footage. Because it's certainly possible to do a great FPS rpg.

I really really liked New Vegas. Still do. I wish more publishers would license out their franchises to Obisidan. They did a great job with KOTOR and Fallout.

I don't really understand why they don't make the demos public in this day and age. By all accounts the demo punched everyone in the g-spot. But most of us are seeing an in game cut scene and some leaked info.

Damn, I liked Spoony a lot. Too bad he had those mental and physical health issues that kind of burned him out.

I was a big Spoony fan too. Like I said, I never played tabletop RPG's in my life but still, I could listen to Spoony rant about that shit for hours and hours

The Thieves World and Squirt Gun Wars episodes of Counter Monkey were two of the most entertaining vids on youtube

Yeah, I hate that a 45+ minute demo was released to journalists and we only get to hear a summary of what they saw.

Shadowrun gameplay focuses on being a corporate mercenary. Breaking into places, shooting goons, stealing hi-tech shit. Lots of books full of lists of guns and equipment and opportunities for power gaming.

Cyberpunk 2020 intended for players to engage with the culture of the setting. Half the character classes were things like musicians or journalists. Roleplaying a stylish character rather than just blowing shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back