Cutting Weight

smileyman22336

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
YEs you guys probably know this thread is way too over rated. But, I'm wondering how to keep off the weight after I cut......I know how to cut weight, but i'm afraid that the next couple of days they'll all come back and I don't want that....

I'm going from 170 to 145 thats a pretty big cut.

All that weight for a grappling competition? thats fucking sad/stupid IMO

agreed. there is NO need to cut that much weight, let alone for a grappling comp. Man up and fight at your weight or if youre a fatass then lose the weight.

There is a difference between "cutting" weight and "losing weight"

The purpose of a cut is a temporary decrease in weight for a specific weight class so that the athlete can compete at a higher weight and thereby gain an advantage (or negate the advantage of someone doing the same).

You don't "cut" weight if you don't intend on putting it back on. "Cutting" involves emptying the GI track or dehydration, not a condition you want for competition.

If you are asking how to LOSE weight - sustained weight reduction then that is a completely different matter. However your post states "the next couple of days" which would make no sense whatsoever if you are talking about losing weight.

You can't cut weight and not have it come back within a couple days. Thats the whole point of cutting weight is to gain it back before you actually fight by rehydrating. If you want to loose weight the thing that has worked best for me is eat <2k calories a day and run every day at least 3 miles. Running works great for cutting too.

There is a difference between "cutting" weight and "losing weight"

The purpose of a cut is a temporary decrease in weight for a specific weight class so that the athlete can compete at a higher weight and thereby gain an advantage (or negate the advantage of someone doing the same).

You don't "cut" weight if you don't intend on putting it back on. "Cutting" involves emptying the GI track or dehydration, not a condition you want for competition.

If you are asking how to LOSE weight - sustained weight reduction then that is a completely different matter. However your post states "the next couple of days" which would make no sense whatsoever if you are talking about losing weight.

This is the correct answer.

No way that you should lose 25 pounds for a grapplingcompetiton.

YEs you guys probably know this thread is way too over rated. But, I'm wondering how to keep off the weight after I cut......I know how to cut weight, but i'm afraid that the next couple of days they'll all come back and I don't want that....

I'm going from 170 to 145 thats a pretty big cut.

Dont eat after weigh ins.

I have lots of faith. But actually its not that I wont make it in that weight class it's also because my bmi is too high and it says that I am overweight which I checked means that I will remain over weight till I cut to that weight.

If you are overweight then remove sugar from your diet and make lean protein, vegetables, and low glycemic index fruits the hallmark of your diet.

Perform high intensity cardio 3 times a week and continue your grappling as much as possible.

This IS NOT weight cutting, this is weight loss

Also the BMI is a terrible indicator of fitness for athletes. It fails to take muscle mass into consideration - I would be considered overweight even though I am 7% bodyfat.

When Sean Sherk drops from 168 to 155 via sweating = weight CUTTING

When Ricco Rodriguez stops hitting the buffet line to go from 310 to 265 = weight LOSS

The difference?

Ricco is NOT looking to get back up to 310, but Sherk would like to be over 170 ASAP.

only way i see you doing this in such a short time is to completely dehydrate yourself at weigh in then have a medical professional hook you up to 2 bags of saline through an I.V.

I don't recommend this. but high level competitors use this method when they are in a similar situation to you.

I have lots of faith. But actually its not that I wont make it in that weight class it's also because my bmi is too high and it says that I am overweight which I checked means that I will remain over weight till I cut to that weight.

Just OT, BMI is utter bullshit. It doesnt take into account muscle mass in the least. Basically if you're more than a toothpick, you're fat in BMI.

Bodyfat % is a lot more telling than BMI. BMI is an outdated tool that they really need to get rid of.

If you are overweight then remove sugar from your diet and make lean protein, vegetables, and low glycemic index fruits the hallmark of your diet.

Perform high intensity cardio 3 times a week and continue your grappling as much as possible.

This IS NOT weight cutting, this is weight loss

Also the BMI is a terrible indicator of fitness for athletes. It fails to take muscle mass into consideration - I would be considered overweight even though I am 7% bodyfat.

When Sean Sherk drops from 168 to 155 via sweating = weight CUTTING

When Ricco Rodriguez stops hitting the buffet line to go from 310 to 265 = weight LOSS

The difference?

Ricco is NOT looking to get back up to 310, but Sherk would like to be over 170 ASAP.

You already said everything I planned on saying and more. +1.

BTW, if you dont mind, when do you plan on fighting (mma) next? Any plans for big bjj comps?

Back