Cutting weight while working full time

RealVision116

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
How do you guys handle this? (Mainly for cuts 10lbs and up, day before weigh ins type cuts)

I work a very physically job as a delivery driver, where you're by your self and on the move all day. Time is of the essence with this job.

How do you guys handle having to use the bathroom every 20 min from water loading, and feeling drained as the week goes on while working? Seems like it would be impossible but I know many fighters do it.

GO HARD OR GO HOME!!

Lol i've never cut weight before but i have been meaning to do a practice weight cut. If your pissing or shitting every 20 mins thats weight coming out so that should help.

And as @j123 told me. You have to eat less and drink a shit ton of water, and drink electrolytes. And go on a low carb diet.

And as people have said you get that weight back on fight day.

So you should be good. I think by the sounds of it. I think the delivery driver job would help you cut more weight due to the heavy lifting and shit, that would make you sweat more.

GO HARD OR GO HOME!!

Lol i've never cut weight before but i have been meaning to do a practice weight cut. If your pissing or shitting every 20 mins thats weight coming out so that should help.

And as @j123 told me. You have to eat less and drink a shit ton of water, and drink electrolytes. And go on a low carb diet.

And as people have said you get that weight back on fight day.

So you should be good. I think by the sounds of it. I think the delivery driver job would help you cut more weight due to the heavy lifting and shit, that would make you sweat more.
I have cut weight before so that's not an issue, I just haven't done it while working this type of job lol.
I just wonder how people go about having to use the bathroom while drinking 2 gallons of water the first day and how you continue to work near the end of the cut. That's a slow death... My work perfomance would be wayyy low.

I have cut weight before so that's not an issue, I just haven't done it while working this type of job lol.
I just wonder how people go about having to use the bathroom while drinking 2 gallons of water the first day and how you continue to work near the end of the cut. That's a slow death... My work perfomance would be wayyy low.

Well other posters who have fought might have a better answer. But why don't you take like the week and half before the fight off from work. I'm a delivery driver for a pizzeria right now, if you mean your a delivery driver for a truck company, than you should take the week and half before the fight off, but if your a driver for a pizzeria than you should be good.

How do you guys handle this? (Mainly for cuts 10lbs and up, day before weigh ins type cuts)

I work a very physically job as a delivery driver, where you're by your self and on the move all day. Time is of the essence with this job.

How do you guys handle having to use the bathroom every 20 min from water loading, and feeling drained as the week goes on while working? Seems like it would be impossible but I know many fighters do it.

this a good question because its something a lot of people have to deal with if they are not fighting for a living and still have to work, they have to deal with the difficulties of combining the two.

I had a desk job, it was still hard but was manageable, I couldnt imagine doing it while working a physical labor job, if your delivering pizzas or something along those lines you should be able to do it no prob but if your like UPS or something I dont know how those guys do it either man.
What I think might work for you, is to still eat very light up until the end. banana is alot of fuel for its size an weight, so is a boiled egg. I would take a day off work for my weight cuts as well and would typically cut about 15 lbs max.

this a good question because its something a lot of people have to deal with if they are not fighting for a living and still have to work, they have to deal with the difficulties of combining the two.

I had a desk job, it was still hard but was manageable, I couldnt imagine doing it while working a physical labor job, if your delivering pizzas or something along those lines you should be able to do it no prob but if your like UPS or something I dont know how those guys do it either man.
What I think might work for you, is to still eat very light up until the end. banana is alot of fuel for its size an weight, so is a boiled egg. I would take a day off work for my weight cuts as well and would typically cut about 15 lbs max.
Haha yes pizza wouldn't be a problem, unfortunately we're talking about UPS.
And yes this is a topic that I haven't seen discussed much, cutting weight as an adult with everyday responsibilities. Even for the people with deskjobs I wonder how they get away with taking a bathroom break the 1st few days of waterloading. Would really cut back on your productivity.

Haha yes pizza wouldn't be a problem, unfortunately we're talking about UPS.
And yes this is a topic that I haven't seen discussed much, cutting weight as an adult with everyday responsibilities. Even for the people with deskjobs I wonder how they get away with taking a bathroom break the 1st few days of waterloading. Would really cut back on your productivity.

yup, luckily my seat was nearby the restroom, people became acommpanied to me taking many short bathroom breaks, i did them very quickly. I wouldnt take my 10 or 15 minute breaks either, cause i pissed so much, i would just take lunch only. at the end of the day they cant fire you for using the restroom and we are supposed to drink a lot of water everyday etc.

and yeah outside of kids & teens or professionals, for all the adults that train and fight, or are attempting to transition from amatuer to pro. So theres a ton of peoplein your shoes. Working full time and training full time is very difficult, its one of the huge things that stops guys fighting and why its just a hobby for so many people etc.

Most of my fights, I basically use a vacay day to get the last day off (the main cut day). I typically don't vacation alot, so I basically just use mine to get days off when I compete or extend a stat holiday

UPS drivers make A LOT of money, so taking one week off from work should ease up your weight cut. I did ups, i was doing the driver helper shit last winter, i did it 4 years ago too back than they weren't so all over the place as they are now, at least in new jersey. A lot of nj employees weren't getting enough hours because they had people coming from brooklyn. BROOKLYN, and they were going to parsippany which is probably one of the furthest places from manhattan really.

It's hard. I don't know that I could do it as a UPS driver. You can try to do your water loading in between shifts, but I have no idea what that would do in terms of getting the hormonal effects you're looking for. I always have to take the last two days before a fight off, I can't work and do the end of the cut (and I work a desk job).

It's hard. I don't know that I could do it as a UPS driver. You can try to do your water loading in between shifts, but I have no idea what that would do in terms of getting the hormonal effects you're looking for. I always have to take the last two days before a fight off, I can't work and do the end of the cut (and I work a desk job).
yeah, and the effects of being that dehydrated while driving the entire day doesn't sound like a nice formula, esp in hot summers

I've gone through this water loading process for my last 5 fights and I know exactly what you mean about pissing like a pregnant woman.

My situation probably wasn't as hard as yours because I worked at a gym training fighters and giving classes and everybody knew what I was going through with going all the time to the bathroom.

What was hell was that I lived kinda far from the gym. It was an hour and a half trip twice a day from home and to home, and another two 20 min trips to another gym I also worked at the time.

The bus was always packed full of people so it I was standing all the time with all my training equipment on a giant bag. I lost count of how many times I had to drop off halfway to piss anywhere I could lol then it was a loooong wait until the next but came by.

Use piss jugs, man. I would if I have to at work. I used them late at night because I just wouldn't wake up everybody at home going to the bathroom all the time opening doors and turning lights on. Also, can't you hire anybody to help you with the physically demanding stuff? I mean, a good friend who wouldn't charge much or nothing at all... Those would be my options.

Or knowing a greasy physician to sell you a sick note for the week. But don't quote me on that jaja

You have to eat less and drink a shit ton of water, and drink electrolytes. And go on a low carb diet.

Drinking a ton of water to piss a lot and drinking electrolytes to... Hold water? I think you might reevaluate that.

If he's water loading probably he's also cutting salts (depending on how much weight he needs to shed). Some guys even drink distilled water.

Electrolytes are for post weigh-in, for rehydration.

You got me curious about what methods you used to cut weight. For me a banana would be on the forbidden list, as it is packed with fructose.

Last week would be only water, egg whites, chicken breast and green leafs. No salts, no starch (some sweet potato was ok around the workout if I was reeeeally suffering).

Last edited:
Drinking a ton of water to piss a lot and drinking electrolytes to... Hold water? I think you might reevaluate that.

If he's water loading probably he's also cutting salts (depending on how much weight he needs to shed). Some guys even drink distilled water.

You got me curious about what methods you used to cut weight. For me a banana would be on the forbidden list, as it is packed with fructose and potassium.

Last week would be only water, egg whites, chicken breast and green leafs. No salts, no starch (some sweet potato was ok around the workout if I was reeeeally suffering).

Oh i didn't know that. Thats good to know especially for me.

No problem, man. I had the privilege of working around a lot of pro MMA guys who were very good at the whole thing, and our team got a nutritionist available to guide us through the process, even though she was very open about how she felt about this nonsense (yes, water loading works, but it is a very stupid thing to do that to your body)

I'm no expert on the matter, just sharing my experience.

Before starting with it I also did a ton of research on how guys did it at the UFC. Guys like George Lockhart... Read interviews, tutorials, etc etc

No problem, man. I had the privilege of working around a lot of pro MMA guys who were very good at the whole thing, and our team got a nutritionist available to guide us through the process, even though she was very open about how she felt about this nonsense (yes, water loading works, but it is a very stupid thing to do that to your body)

I'm no expert on the matter, just sharing my experience.

Before starting with it I also did a ton of research on how guys did it at the UFC. Guys like George Lockhart... Read interviews, tutorials, etc etc

Do you actually need a nutrionist at the start? Also should i eat like just salads with breads, and a little bit of chicken or something the first 2 weeks of cutting weight, than just eat salad with something thats not as filling?

You got me curious about what methods you used to cut weight. For me a banana would be on the forbidden list, as it is packed with fructose and potassium.

it depends on what day in your cut your taking it. I feel you could use it as a weight cutting food. Its so light, and digests easily, and quickly. There was this guys a while back called durian rider who got famous advocating these fruit diets. Eating just a bunch of bananas a day and you will loose weight. You might want to experiment with it during your training, not on a weight cut of course. Whats wrong with potassium? its the sodium you dont want during the cut, didnt know potassium was no good? Also i know we should be zero sugar but dont really know why.

For my weight cuts I would typically follow the paleo diet 2 weeks out, no carbs, just meat, fruits, and veggies, just drink water, no salt, I would also do the water loading for the last 5 days.....the final week would be very light eating, 1 boiled egg for breakfast, tiny lunch of maybe shrimp and rice, shrimp is low calorie high protein and very light, light dinner, final day no eat or drink. I would use the sauna as well. Do you use the sauna?

I mixed the minerals, you're right. I'll edit that out.

As far as I know the thing with sugar is that there is association between carbs and water. Each gram of glycogen is associated with 3-4 grams of water and that is why I believe havings bananas while dehydrating may hinder the process.

I don't doubt that eating just bananas would make you lose weight, that makes a lot of sense. Not sure if it's the optimal way for an athlete to do it them having no fats or protein.

I only needed a sauna once, the first time I did it. It wasn't that bad after all. I did three rounds (1 of 15 min, 2 10 min) at a dry sauna and it was enough.

I've heard about people staying up to 30 min with no intervals. Sounds crazy to me. How much time you do?

Also never did the bath salts thing some guys do.

Last edited:
Do you actually need a nutrionist at the start? Also should i eat like just salads with breads, and a little bit of chicken or something the first 2 weeks of cutting weight, than just eat salad with something thats not as filling?

It was very nice having one at my disposal at the time. She would weigh me, measure my bf, and advise me accordingly. But nowadays I feel like I can do it on my own.

If it's impossible for you to consult with one and if you really interested in nutrition and weight cuts you should up your research, man. Its not THAT simple to just guess those things. Generally speaking breads are definitely what you should NOT eat.

I mixed the minerals, you're right. I'll edit that out.

As far as I know the thing with sugar is that there is association between carbs and water. Each gram of glycogen is associated with 3-4 grams of water and that is why I believe havings bananas while dehydrating may hinder the process.

I don't doubt that eating just bananas would make you lose weight, that makes a lot of sense. Not sure if it's the optimal way for an athlete to do it them having no fats or protein.

I only needed a sauna once, the first time I did it. It wasn't that bad after all. I did three rounds (1 of 15 min, 2 10 min) at a dry sauna and it was enough.

I've heard about people staying up to 30 min with no intervals. Sounds crazy to me. How much time you do?

Also never did the bath salts thing some guys do.

I wouldnt really use the banana for cutting, but i think it could be used if your need the extra energy due to labor like this guy with the job.

I would always use the sauna for my cuts, reason i brought it up is most people use a sauna suit which i did as well but I found the method of continusoly wiping the sweat off more effective, have you heard of it?

Back