Cutting weight for fighters. How much is camp and how much is fight week?

ADCC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anybody whoever did prof/amateur fighting with weight cuts ?

I always wonder how many people lose in let's say a 8 week camp and how much will be lost in fight week ?

Anybody whoever did prof/amateur fighting with weight cuts ?

I always wonder how many people lose in let's say a 8 week camp and how much will be lost in fight week ?

Depends on how much fat you're carrying off season (walking). If you're quite athletic, low bodyfat %, and decent muscle on your frame. You'd just eat at maintenance during the camp, and use the last week as the cut week (water manipulation).
I actually prefer people to be at a good optimal weight, so they can eat at maintenance all camp long. Going on a deficit isn't too good on your energy levels. Kind of like income, its good to have some extra disposable income, rather than living with little to nothing after making rent and utilities.

If you diet to drop fat in your 8 week camp, generally you'd lose around 8-16 lbs (1-2lbs per week), you don't want more than that as it will be detrimental, and any more than that you'll probably be with starvation calories. If, however, you are fat/obese then yes alot will come off due to water weight.

It also depends on how you handle weight cutting. I'm pretty average compared to guys in the states, the most I cut so far has been 15lbs (water). It felt tough, but not hospital-induced tough, I think the most I can get away without compromising my health and gas tank would be 16-17lbs. I compete at lightweight, and am at 170ish on the week before the fight. On the other hand, I have teammate who's a great fighter, but he can't handle weigh cutting, he nearly passed out cutting 8lbs, and we can tell it was definitely tough on him. Its not for him.

The weigh-in type depends as well (same day vs 24h), the latter you can go all out and cut as much as you can handle, the earlier not so much. If you have to fight 3h after weigh-ins, the most you can cut would be 6.6lbs (1L = 2.2lbs. Your body absorbs at a rate of 1L/hour, so 3h = 6.6lbs). You'll need electrolytes as well when you re-hydrate so your body would do its best to hold onto the water. Nothing's worst than chugging down water that is scarce, only to piss 1/2 of it out within an hour. Use sodium to bind and hold the water, and get potassium in as you've been drained from it all week (cut week).
Going into a fight dehydrated is bad news, you'll be gassed, and it can possibly lead to death (ammy kickboxer who fought in Milwaukee a few years ago, passed away by this unfortunately).

During camp, the range of weight lost varies. My fighters during fight week lose another 3-4lbs from loading, and cut another 4-5lbs from heat.

I never advise my fighters to cut more than 10 as a guideline. Sometimes it is a little over. Sometimes a little less.

During camp, the range of weight lost varies. My fighters during fight week lose another 3-4lbs from loading, and cut another 4-5lbs from heat.

I never advise my fighters to cut more than 10 as a guideline. Sometimes it is a little over. Sometimes a little less.
Your fighters don't run into issues against heavier weight cutters?

I'm a believer of not cutting more than 10% of bodyweight in water in terms of health issues.

Your fighters don't run into issues against heavier weight cutters?

I'm a believer of not cutting more than 10% of bodyweight in water in terms of health issues.

I do not have any fighters over 145 at the moment, so it's not much of an issue. If they have a bout signed against a heavy grappler, then we do S&C and game plan a little different.

Edit:

To add to the 8-11lbs we cut during fight week, camp usually has them losing ~6lbs.

I'm not a fighter but I cut 15 lbs of water prior to a powerlifting meet. It was fairly easy and I didn't really feel that bad, so I'm sure fighters with a good coaching staff can cut a ton of weight. I had always heard that Forrest Griffin walked around at 245-250 before he started his camp.

I'm not a fighter but I cut 15 lbs of water prior to a powerlifting meet. It was fairly easy and I didn't really feel that bad, so I'm sure fighters with a good coaching staff can cut a ton of weight. I had always heard that Forrest Griffin walked around at 245-250 before he started his camp.
It depends on your size as well. A 140lb fighter cutting 15lbs to make flyweight is alot harder on the body than someone who's 190+

But yes, there should be a good coaching staff in regards to cutting. An issue with a couple of gyms here is that the coaches never actually "cut" due to being pretty small fighters themselves. At the peak of their competitive careers there wasn't anything below 155. To them, cutting usually means dieting, and thats not the same thing.
I'm going to seem like a 'merican nuthugger for saying this, but I find Americans, esp. wrestlers have a much better understanding of water cutting compared to the guys here.

Same day weigh-ins? How long between scale and platform?

Same day weigh-ins? How long between scale and platform?

No morning before. You get the choice to weigh in the morning before (exactly 24 hrs before call time) or if you miss weight you can try again in the afternoon.

Back