Cutting off the Cage in MMA

Great read.

Someone send this to Nick Diaz.

condit did a great job of moving and keeping nick from cutting off the ring. nick's had success against some guys, but he's pretty much just walking them down and taking advantage of their lack of ring awareness/movement.

condit did a great job of moving and keeping nick from cutting off the ring. nick's had success against some guys, but he's pretty much just walking them down and taking advantage of their lack of ring awareness/movement.
Yeah, Condit would also back up towards the fence under Diaz's pressure, but unlike (for example), Scott Smith, Frank Shamrock, BJ or Paul Daley, he would continually circle out upon reaching the cage and usually after throwing either a round or straight low kick to his outside leg to buckle Diaz's stance (but also ducking to land a nice right straight to the body before circling at one point). Diaz simply wasn't able to adapt to it.

Condit's movement and attempts to fluster Diaz before circling presented a stark contrast to all those other guys who would pretty much just back themselves into the fence prior to being clobbered by Diaz. Also noteworthy is the conditioning necessary to do such a thing for all five rounds, though of course the NBK's stamina is renowned to begin with. Certainly some of the best in mma that I have seen.

Great read. Best thread I've ever read in the UFC forum.

I would argue that the fact that the cage is a much bigger area than the ring, makes that a fighter needs to have supreme timing more than being able to cut off the cage. That is not to say it is a useless skill, far from it, but much of the fight will be fought further away from the enclosure than in a ring. Positioning is still of prime importance, but not so much in respect to the cage, as it is in respect to the opponent. Of course, when the fighter is standing close to the cage, the "traditional" tactic of cutting of the cage and postioning still work.

Guys like Machida and Horiguchi are very successful in this respect. They come from a background where fights take place on a mat, making it even harder to cut off the area, resulting in a fight style that is, like I said earlier, much more focused on the positioning and distance in regards to the opponent than on the distance and postioning in regards to the opponent in the ring/cage.

Poirier switched stance to cut off the cage against Akira.

Not bad. Cain vs Junior is a good example. Cutting off space was a huge issue for Benavidez against guys who can move like Cruz and Johnson.

I give you credit, good sir. Hell of an interesting read and you put more work in thinking out this one post than half of Sherdog does in their entire post history.

Haha thanks, glad you enjoyed it! It's something I'm working on so it's on my mind.

This was an awesome post. Very well-thought-out, explained very well, and used great examples.

I'd love to see more like this in the future if you have the time.

I put out a new thread every once in a while. I've done a bunch of these by now and I'm sure I'll write more in the future. Thanks for the kind words.

He does it mentally. He gets people to trade with him by talking shit and taunting. He also does manage to walk people to the cage pretty often, especially once he gets them tired. From there he pins them in place with his forehead and goes to work. But yea, it doesn't happen to people with good footwork and cardio.

After reading this I spent half an hour in the back yard trying to walk down my dog. Using footwork and my knowledge of his tendencies i was able to back him up against the fence several times and blast away with well timed head kicks.

It would be great if it was possible to up-vote or "like" a post. Nice write up!

I've thought the same thing before haha, nice to hear it about my own post though. Thanks.

After reading this I spent half an hour in the back yard trying to walk down my dog. Using footwork and my knowledge of his tendencies i was able to back him up against the fence several times and blast away with well timed head kicks.
Hahahaha! Don't let PETA get in the way of your training.

I usually don't come to Sherdog for my longer reads. Usually just the fastfood, call people stupid for what they say, type of threads. But this was a great read with good use of gifs to demonstrate and break it all up. Nicely done!

Lol thanks for not calling me stupid! Also I'm shocked I haven't gotten one tl:dr yet...

Quality read mate, thanks. Do you see there being much of a difference in cutting off the ring in a circular or hexagonal cage? (I'm assuming not but I'm not a fighter so I'd have no idea)

I feel like when I signed up, I originally tried to get that username but it was taken. Confused.

Quality read mate, thanks. Do you see there being much of a difference in cutting off the ring in a circular or hexagonal cage? (I'm assuming not but I'm not a fighter so I'd have no idea)
There's a massive difference. A circular cage doesn't have corners at all. Cutting of your opponent is easier in the ring than in the cage because the corners make it much easier to lock someone up there. You can't do that in a circular cage.

very nice. I'm starting training MT myself and it's very hard to avoid going straight backwards when your sparring partner starts throwing. only when I'm cornered I realize I have to do something back and then I start chopping down my brawler partner with low kicks but I know that if it was someone really skilled I would spend the whole sparring session trapped in that corner.

also congrats for going full circle with the article, it probably was one of the best posts ever on sherdog.

Back