Cutting down on Omega-6 better than increasing Omega-3

Mathias

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Cutting down on omega-6 is better than increasing omega-3 - Second Opinions, UK

Background: A reduced dietary intake of n-3 fatty acids, in association with increased n-6 fatty acid intake, has been proposed as a potential aetiological factor for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma. However, the relative importance of individual fatty acids within the n-3 and n-6 categories on this effect has not been widely investigated. We have studied the relation between individual fatty acid intakes, lung function and self-reported respiratory symptoms and diagnoses in a representative sample of more than 13 000 Dutch adults.

Methods: Intake of individual fatty acids was estimated by a food frequency questionnaire and analysed in relation to measures of forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV1) and to questionnaire reported wheeze, asthma and COPD symptoms.

Results: After adjusting for confounding, we found no protective association between individual n-3 fatty acid intakes and FEV1. Higher intakes of some n-6 fatty acids were associated with lower FEV1, this effect being most marked for c22:4 n-6 docosatetraenoic acid (reduction in FEV1 between the highest and lowest quintile of intake 54.5 ml (95% CI

Killer post, Mathias!

Other studies have found that an increased intake of n-3 DOES decrease inflammatory airway conditions such as asthma, but there's no doubt that reducing pro-inflammtory n-6 intake would do the same.

To get the best of both, common sense would dictate we increase our n-3 and decrease our n-6, and strive for a 1:1 ratio.

off-topic, but how 'easy' is it to get too little poly-6's? There are virtually no vegetable oils in my diet.

off-topic, but how 'easy' is it to get too little poly-6's? There are virtually no vegetable oils in my diet.

Very difficult if you are eating vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts. The majority of fats in vegetation are poly-6.

I eat veggies, fruits, and then nuts like every 3 days. I eat a log more produce than the average person, but I would guess a lot less than the average DnS-er

You're not gonna get a significant amount of any fat, including n-6's from produce. Nuts, yes. Also, you'll likely be getting a decent amount of n-6's from meat (unless you get grass fed, and even then I still think it's more n-6's but I'm not sure
).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back