1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Cutting down on Omega-6 better than increasing Omega-3

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Mathias, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mathias Blue Belt

Cutting down on omega-6 is better than increasing omega-3 - Second Opinions, UK

Background: A reduced dietary intake of n-3 fatty acids, in association with increased n-6 fatty acid intake, has been proposed as a potential aetiological factor for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma. However, the relative importance of individual fatty acids within the n-3 and n-6 categories on this effect has not been widely investigated. We have studied the relation between individual fatty acid intakes, lung function and self-reported respiratory symptoms and diagnoses in a representative sample of more than 13 000 Dutch adults.

Methods: Intake of individual fatty acids was estimated by a food frequency questionnaire and analysed in relation to measures of forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV1) and to questionnaire reported wheeze, asthma and COPD symptoms.

Results: After adjusting for confounding, we found no protective association between individual n-3 fatty acid intakes and FEV1. Higher intakes of some n-6 fatty acids were associated with lower FEV1, this effect being most marked for c22:4 n-6 docosatetraenoic acid (reduction in FEV1 between the highest and lowest quintile of intake 54.5 ml (95% CI

2. MikeMartial Black Belt

Killer post, Mathias!

Other studies have found that an increased intake of n-3 DOES decrease inflammatory airway conditions such as asthma, but there's no doubt that reducing pro-inflammtory n-6 intake would do the same.

To get the best of both, common sense would dictate we increase our n-3 and decrease our n-6, and strive for a 1:1 ratio.

3. stylesbjj** Banned Banned

off-topic, but how 'easy' is it to get too little poly-6's? There are virtually no vegetable oils in my diet.

4. Mathias Blue Belt

Very difficult if you are eating vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts. The majority of fats in vegetation are poly-6.

5. stylesbjj** Banned Banned

I eat veggies, fruits, and then nuts like every 3 days. I eat a log more produce than the average person, but I would guess a lot less than the average DnS-er

6. T_Money_ Blue Belt

You're not gonna get a significant amount of any fat, including n-6's from produce. Nuts, yes. Also, you'll likely be getting a decent amount of n-6's from meat (unless you get grass fed, and even then I still think it's more n-6's but I'm not sure
    ).