Cutting 20 lbs in 19 days?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Problem Child, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Problem Child

Problem Child Beer Belt Platinum Member

I have a contest September 11 with a same day weigh in. I weighed 240 earlier today and after working out and sweating, 237. I made this weight (220) easily same tournament a year ago but started a little earlier.

I have read the weight cutting FAQ etc and know I have the discipline to workout, adjust diet accordingly. My question is, is this too much?

2. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Well, if you are a fat tub of shit-perhaps-anything is possible, but if you are in any kind of decent shape already, I would say 20 lbs in 19 days with a same day weigh in is a bit too much.

Even operating at a 1000 calorie per day deficit, you would only LOSE about 5.5 lbs, plus maybe another 3 or so in water due to lower carbs and salt in the system. If you are training hard, a few weeks at 1k plus deficit will leave you fairly drained, not an ideal situation come fight time. If you plan on trying it, I would keep the food intake high, at least 2500 cals, and try to expend 3500 to 4000 a day. At least that way you are getting the benefit of a lot of training.

This would leave you an 11.5 to 12 lb water CUT, which is a tall order with a same day weigh in. Because you are at a higher weight, this is not entirely impossible, because you have more weater in you to cut, but I don't think you will be in good shape at go-time. An hour or 2 is just not enugh time to re-hydrate the right way from a 12 lb cut.

3. Problem Child

Problem Child Beer Belt Platinum Member

Thanks for the analysis. Its probably a bad idea all around. Its not as though I am a small open weight player.