Cus D'Amato slipping technique

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ACzeMiky, Jun 3, 2014.

1. ACzeMiky

ACzeMiky White Belt

Hi guys, I am working on my head movement and I want to ask you what was Cus D'Amato's slipping technique. From what I saw when I look on Mike Tyson, he is actually bending his body to the side in his waist. It's not that traditional shoulder and waist rotation, what most of boxing trainers teaches. At least from what I saw. Is that true? Or I am just missing something and there is more in it? When I try to slip like Cus teached, then it's actually much faster than slipping the traditional way, but I have often sore lower back and hips muscles and it's just kind of tough to slip right now. Is it normal? Will it dissapear in time? Thank you guys.

2. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

3. ACzeMiky

ACzeMiky White Belt

Yap thank you. So it seems like what I wrote was correct. He is bending to the side in his waist. I have another question so I am writing it here, so I won't have to make a new thread. How can you stay focus on which punch is coming at you, when you are slipping? It seems everything blurry for me so I can't properly react after slip. That's why I often just move my head randomly to the other side but what if there is coming a hook at me...

4. Ayin

Ayin Black Belt

Experience will let you do that. Being able to stay calm and see what's coming will come with time and good training. Stick with it and keep your eyes open. In the same way, you'll be able to quickly perceive openings in the opponents defense and know when to throw which punches, and will make the all important step from throwing pre-set combinations to being able to pick each individual punch without losing speed.

5. ACzeMiky

ACzeMiky White Belt

Thank you for your respond... Yeah thats too one of my problems, that i cant see the openings, because I am too much focused on certain combination or defense, that I forget these other things. I will just ceep up the hard work and gain more experiences.

6. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Technical sparring, partner drills. Slow things down until you gain enough comfort to react to full-speed punches.

7. Ayin

Ayin Black Belt

Yeah, don't jump in and start trying to do a lot of 'hard sparring' right off the bat, otherwise you'll just revert to what you know and ingrain bad habits. It's a learning process, like any other physical skill, and it needs to start small and be understood well, and then slowly built on.

Good drills will open you up to not just knowing how to do things, but when to do them, and if you keep it up you'll learn the why of it all as well.